Offensive Line | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

at some point we're gonna have to get better at scouting and player development and stop burning 1st and 2nd round picks on cornfed. the chiefs started two 7th rounders and two former UDFA on OL today and billy ****** turner is playing LT for the packers.

Couldn't the offensive line play account for the level play from 2019 to 2020?

Ask the Dallas Crybabies how they feel about investing as BUNCH of 1st round picks on the OL? They have had the BEST OL in football over the past decade, and won how many Super Bowls? Jake Long was the first pick in the draft. He was very good but was hurt enough not to finish 2 of his 5 years here and was out of the NFL in 6...

Bad year to make this statement.

The top 3 on that line were injured.

All this talk about the need for a RT. I read somewhere on this site that Hunt graded much better the last several games at RT. Why is he not the answer there? There are a few players in the draft who can play either OT or OG. Wouldn't one of those be one of our goals in the first 3 rounds along with WR, ILB, RB, C or S?

All this talk about the need for a RT. I read somewhere on this site that Hunt graded much better the last several games at RT. Why is he not the answer there? There are a few players in the draft who can play either OT or OG. Wouldn't one of those be one of our goals in the first 3 rounds along with WR, ILB, RB, C or S?

There is a constant debate. One group claims good OL can be found in lower rounds, the other wants a 'generational' talent. I'm not convinced Miami will take C, S in the first 3, nor OT in R1

There is a constant debate. One group claims good OL can be found in lower rounds, the other wants a 'generational' talent. I'm not convinced Miami will take C, S in the first 3, nor OT in R1
The way I see it. We drafted dieter, Jackson and hunt all within the first three rounds of the past two years. Kindley was also drafted with a high picked. In order to spread the talent around. We need to work outwards and start adding talent at the skill positions on O and behind the d-line on d. They were major weak points last year and it killed us at the end. The line does need to be much better

The way I see it. We drafted dieter, Jackson and hunt all within the first three rounds of the past two years. Kindley was also drafted with a high picked. In order to spread the talent around. We need to work outwards and start adding talent at the skill positions on O and behind the d-line on d. They were major weak points last year and it killed us at the end. The line does need to be much better
It was so bad... I mean, historically bad before we started fixing it. Other than Jesse Davis, who is a fine 6th man, we had absolutely ZERO NFL quality linemen-- just the worst line I have ever seen.

So, it was always going to take a lot of money and picks to fix this.

I'm happy with Jackson, Hunt, and Kindley as our base, and Davis as a 6th man, but Flowers and Karras are rentals, and Dieter is mostly an unknown quantity. We NEED at least two more linemen in the offseason. Now, they could be 3rd round picks or cheap free agents, but our line is not better than average right now... and that aint gonna get it done with a small QB who isn't really a running threat. He'll need more than a Rodgers or an Allen need.

I think it's harder to find OTs in the later rounds, but you can definitely get IOL. The other thing is coaching. The Patriots have been drafting guys who don't have the "right" measureables for years, and turning them into quality lineman (they have 4 linemen between 6´1 - 6´3). I think it's fair to say we haven't been able to do that.

FWIW I think we are 2 guys short of having a competitive line.

I think it's harder to find OTs in the later rounds, but you can definitely get IOL. The other thing is coaching. The Patriots have been drafting guys who don't have the "right" measureables for years, and turning them into quality lineman (they have 4 linemen between 6´1 - 6´3). I think it's fair to say we haven't been able to do that.

FWIW I think we are 2 guys short of having a competitive line.
Agreed... Guards and Centers can be found later than Tackles. The difference is that Tackles are taller and have god-given speed... two things that you can't teach. They MUST be plus physical specimens.

We got Kindley in the 4th and Hunt in the 2nd for just this reason. Kindley was a pure Guard, and Hunt was a probable Guard who might be able to play on the QBs non-blind side.

Yes, we can find a nice Center prospect early on the third day... but a Tackle is going to be harder to find.

I think we can get by without a tackle, but we should take a center. There are a bunch of good ones. You don’t have to use a first round pick to get a good one. It just makes sense. Don’t overpay Karras. Dieter can be the backup.

The only tackle I would have a hard time passing on is Sewell. That guy is a beast. He instantly makes the offense better.

Because I want Sewell. No matter what.
I don't care if we need to shuffle the whole line.
I don't care if Tua has no one to throw to.
I don't care if we don't have a running back.

I can predict the future, Sewell will be the greatest OL in history and in the all future.
As matter of fact, Sewell can line up the line by himself and block all four DL.

Because I want Sewell. No matter what.
I don't care if we need to shuffle the whole line.
I don't care if Tua has no one to throw to.
I don't care if we don't have a running back.

I can predict the future, Sewell will be the greatest OL in history and in the all future.
As matter of fact, Sewell can line up the line by himself and block all four DL.
dude, chill

deep breaths

My head wants Sewell (probably the most logical choice)
But
My heart wants Smith/Chase at 3
And Harris at 18 so bad!!!

Plenty is possible the Seahawks won a SB with the 27th ranked OL, the Broncos won a SB with the 20th ranked offensive OL and the Giants won a SB with the 31st ranked OL.
And somehow the Packers managed to not miss a beat without David Bakhtiari at LT last weekend. An O-line that includes Billy Turner. Remember him? He's developed into a very nice player. Lines have to play as a unit and players need to develop. I mean, Jackson is like 21 years old...

My head wants Sewell (probably the most logical choice)
But
My heart wants Smith/Chase at 3
And Harris at 18 so bad!!!
I don't think Sewell at 3 is logical if there are teams in the 8 range (think Carolina) that might be willing to unload a ton of picks to come up and get a QB. It might just not make sense to stay at 3 and take him.

Similarly, I like Harris a lot too and would not be disappointed with that pick at 18 because you know you're getting a good player but with the other needs on the team and with RBs like J. Williams from UNC possibly there in Round 2 at #36, is the difference worth taking a first round RB? RBs don't have a long shelf life (typically) and to invest a first rounder is a steep price and perhaps not a luxury to be afforded.

Back
Top Bottom