OFFENSIVE LINE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OFFENSIVE LINE

Goonies

Active Roster
Reaction score
Before the season started I posted several times our success would hinder on our OL. I’d never thought in a million years I was going to see OL play as bad as the Dallas Thomas days but here we are once again. This front office is clueless, their job was to protect Tua at all cost to evaluate him. As much as I love waddle, the right pick should of been Sewell and then someone like josh Myers. This draft should of been all O LINENAN & one stud RB. If I’m Tua I’m not coming back from IR with Jackson and Davis playing tackle.

Before the season started I posted several times our success would hinder on our OL. I’d never thought in a million years I was going to see OL play as bad as the Dallas Thomas days but here we are once again. This front office is clueless, their job was to protect Tua at all cost to evaluate him. As much as I love waddle, the right pick should of been Sewell and then someone like josh Myers. This draft should of been all O LINENAN & one stud RB. If I’m Tua I’m not coming back from IR with Jackson and Davis playing tackle.
It’s just mind boggling how Grier could be with this organization for 21 years in several different scouting department positions and be this bad at evaluating talent. Especially the Oline. You’d imagine he has picked the brain of all the different scouts and GMs that he’s had the opportunity to work with all this time. I believe his Dad was even a GM if I’m not mistaken. How? Just how in the world can you not find any offensive lineman yr after yr with such high draft picks plus free agency is just inexcusable! Sorry for the long rant I’ll stop beating the dead horse.

It also does the young offensive linemen no good either when the OL coach constantly changes and the next one may be a poor teacher.

I bring up Dallas a lot, but here's an example of a coach who even managed to mess up a line that at the time had 2 all-pro linemen on it and some good talent. In 2018 Cowboys hired Paul Alexander.
Alexander wanted the linemen to change up their hand placement technique. We are talking about linemen who had been in the league from 4-7 years, multiple AP selections etc and he wanted them to redo how they engaged the defenders.
The result was the offensive line struggled in pass blocking. They were on pace to give up 52 sacks for the season, when in previous years they gave up 25 and 32 sacks.
Cowboys fired him halfway through the season, promoted Marc Colombo(same guy who played for the Phins) and he went back to the older technique the players were comfortable with.

And this was Paul Alexander, a OL coach since 1992. But he failed to adjust his coaching to a style for the players that worked.

Now, back to the dolphins, if our current OL coach isn't adaptive or trying one technique while ignoring that the players are struggling to learn a possible new technique then this regression could be due to the coach.

Last edited:
IMO Slater (at 12) would have been fine. He’s actually played better than Sewell who has been inconsistent the past 2 weeks. Sewell is only 20 though, so there is obviously massive upside there. This is just my opinion, but I really don’t think adding more rookies to our line was the best option. We needed to spend money better in FA. A guy like Thuney, Linsley or Andrews would have really helped us out.

And your point is????
Your‘e not bringing anything to light, we all thought the same thing. But Waddle will turn out to be a great pick.

Another thread? Sigh
Yep, agreed, another poster looking for attention. Hey! Look at me and let me see how I can get people to like my thread even though there are already 500 others covering the same subject

It has to be an issue of just not liking your bosses.

How else can Jackson, Kindley and Hunt play pretty decent last year, and now suddenly arent doing good?

It has to be internal
Robert Hunt…by most accounts started a little shaky at right tackle as a rookie… but was improving and playing much better by seasons end…….

So what does this staff do with this situation? Of course, change his position to right guard.

Liam Eichenberg is a career left tackle at Notre Dame….what does this staff do with him?

They move him constantly around the line and ignore he plays best at left tackle!

Is it any wonder this line has struggled?

And your point is????
Your‘e not bringing anything to light, we all thought the same thing. But Waddle will turn out to be a great pick.
Oh give me a break, You all thought the same thing ... lol
Most vital area of need up grade and mostly the "all" you talk about as aware of what going on are still not wanting to face reality though must say being forced.

Look today , " Another thread sigh " Biggest down fall of this team besides coaching screw up and the brain storm in here is tired of taking about it.
How many times through the last month we've seen, Oh another OL threat, "what another one " OL Not again etc etc etc....By passing talented OL men in FA with hardly a chirp.
Know this is another touchy area and saying it because not it was my view but I was the object of a lot of those fools blindness to just how friggin important the OL will be for success.

You heard Tua this and that endlessly, we need a RB endlessly, and OL basically not really understood by the much of the big shot FH gang hoping to direct the dialog.

Well the collector has come for his dues and we see not only the cluelessness, but the important area missed for success the last 6 months but even today the blindness and even little concern though it got our potential farnchise QB knocked silly.......Just a reality check and letting Goonie know I'm on board and he's 100% right.

Robert Hunt…by most accounts started a little shaky at right tackle as a rookie… but was improving and playing much better by seasons end…….

So what does this staff do with this situation? Of course, change his position to right guard.

Liam Eichenberg is a career left tackle at Notre Dame….what does this staff do with him?

They move him constantly around the line and ignore he plays best at left tackle!

Is it any wonder this line has struggled?
that's ridiculous.

robert hunt did play well at right tackle (in my opinion), but everyone in the universe said his best position as a pro would be at guard.

it wasn't just "our staff" finagling some weird, obscure, position-maneuver there.

eich was drafted to play right tackle to allow hunt to move to his best spot and really solidify the right side of the line.

i don't see how anybody could disagree with that line of thinking (and i don't recall anybody disagreeing with it as it was being discussed on these boards).

the fact that eichenberg spent his career at LT at notre dame only means he was their best offensive lineman.

most college LTs do not remain at LT in the pros (as has been discussed ad infinitum on here).

they become right tackles and guards (and, of course, a few elite ones remain at LT).

your reasons for why the line has struggled comes across as "just saying inaccurate stuff."

Back
Top Bottom