Offensive Players I like for the Dolphins in the draft. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Players I like for the Dolphins in the draft.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm only including the players I think the Dolphins have a chance to get, which means there is no David Carr, Joey Harrington, or Bryant McKinnie on this list.

QBs

1. Patrick Ramsey 6-3 230 Tulane -- Ramsey is a big guy with a strong arm and very good read and recognition skills. He throws an excellent deep ball and can rifle the ball on the short routes. He isn't very mobile, but he has good pocket mobility. He can do half rolls and side steps within the pocket, but you won't see him scramble for many yards.

2. Josh McCown 6-4 230 Sam Houston State -- McCown has prototypical QB size, a strong arm, and tremendous field vision. He's got the leadership skills I like to see in a QB, and he has the ability to throw every pass in the book. He's got the athletic ability to get out of trouble when he needs to as well. Very good potential and would be a very good 3rd round pick for Miami.

3. Rohan Davey 6-1 245 Louisiana State -- Davey is from the Miami area. He played ball at Hialeah high school (I probably mispelled that). The guy can throw the ball through a brick wall. He's got a tremendous arm that would probably be even better when he improves his footwork and quits all arming the ball. He throws the best deep ball of all the QBs I've seen in this draft and is extremely hard to bring down in the backfield. A true leader in every sense of the word as well.

4. Seth Burford 6-2 245 Cal-Poly SLO -- He's an intriguing physical specimen who is extremely raw right now. Great arm strength. Can throw the ball with the best of them. Has 4.6-4.7 speed as well, so he can escape and gain yards with his feet. Needs a lot of coaching, but has potential.

5. Scott Mitchell 6-3 210 Western Washington -- Smart guy with a good arm. Doesn't make mistakes. Had a 25 TDs to 5 INTs this year.

6. J.T. O'Sullivan 6-4 225 California-Davis -- Has all the tools and intangibles, but needs work on his release.

7. Randy Fasani 6-4 235 Stanford -- Brett Farve-like arm, but very unaccurate at this point. Lots of tools here to work with....Great size with 4.5-4.6 speed. Extremely tough. Has played on special teams, as a linebacker, and tight end in the past. #1 rated QB in the nation when he came out of high school.

8. Wes Pate 6-3 220 Stephen F Austin -- Second best player in his conference behind Josh McCown. Was Tim Rattay's back up at Louisiana Tech. at one point in his career.

9. Quinn Gray 6-3 235 Florida A&M -- Extremely talent player who is extremely raw.

RBs

1. William Green 6-0 220 Boston College -- Outside chance he will fall to Miami. Fred Taylor type ability without the injuries.

2. DeShaun Foster 6-0 215 UCLA -- Great all around RB. Finishes his runs, catches the ball well, runs routes like a receiver, and blocks well. Would make Travis Minor a non-factor in the offense. Needs to secure the ball better.

3. Adrian Peterson 5-9 210 Georgia Southern -- Another Emmitt Smith, IMO. Not very fast, but explosive and has the best vision and balance of any runner in the draft.

4. Verron Haynes 5-9 218 Georgia -- Very tough all around back who has a great build. Extremely strong legs and is terrific after contact. Catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a good blocker. Speed is the only question.

5. Ladell Betts 5-10 220 Iowa -- I like his toughness and instincts. Never had a good line at Iowa.

6. Ennis Haywood 5-10 216 Iowa State -- Stocky built player who is excellent in between the tackles and catches the ball well out of the backfield. Lacks speed.

OGs

1. Kendall Simmons 6-3 310 Auburn -- Great athlete who is very strong. Can play LT, but is better off as a guard. My high school teammate.

2. Andre Gurode 6-4 320 Colorado -- A beast!! Can play guard and center. Can't move him at all even on a bull rush.

3. Terrence Metcalf 6-3 315 Mississippi -- Another beast. Much better as a guard than as a tackle, but has the ability to play both. Very good run blocker. Strong.

4. Fred Weary 6-4 301 Tennessee -- Powerful player. Strength is legendary at Tennessee.

5. Eric Heitmann 6-4 300 Stanford -- Technically sound, extremely tough, and strong in the lower body. Gets off the ball quickly and stays with his blocks.

6. Martin Bibla 6-3 295 Miami -- Fundamentally sound and knows the game. Limited athletically, but extremely tough and gritty.

7. John Goodwin 6-2 290 Michigan -- Good run blocker who started on that great line at Michigan in 2000. Strong lower body.

OTs

1. Levi Jones 6-5 315 Arizona State -- Good athlete who is a good all around blocker.

2. Mike Pearson 6-6 300 Florida -- Prototype LT. Great pass blocker. Lacks the ballast to be a dominant run blocker.

3. Matt Hill 6-5 300 Boise State -- Pumped up 300 lbers with good athleticism and potential.

4. Reggie Coleman 6-5 325 Tennessee -- Has all the ability but hasn't put it together yet.

TEs

1. Chris Baker 6-3 260 Michigan State -- Good receiver who has had some knee problems in the past.

2. Tracy Wistrom 6-5 235 Nebraska -- Great feel for the passing gmae. Could be a Novacek type of TE.

Cs

1. Melvin Fowler Jr. 6-3 295 Maryland -- Solid center prospect with good strength. Shoulders need to check out.

2. Scott Peters 6-2 300 Arizona State -- Physical player with good upper body strength.

Since TSN now charges for their draft info I'm not as informed but here are a few players I'd be very pleased to draft round One:

Foster
Gurode
Pearson
Jones
Shockey
Graham

I wouldn't take a QB in round 3 since we have Fiedler and McNown and other pressing needs. If we go O-line round one hopefully Gordon out of North Dakota will be available. He could be a great sleeper. But he is getting to be known, don't know if he'll last till the 3rd round. DE and DT would also be a wise investment.

I think Gordon runs too straight up right now, and that's going to hurt him when he tries to gain yards after contact in the NFL.

QB should be a high priority. Fiedler will be gone in 2 years with Wannstedt (when he's fired for hitching his career to Jay Fiedler), and I'm sure the new coach would like to have a talented QB on the roster to start at that time. A young QB needs 2 years to get used to the NFL, so drafting one this year is a big priority, IMO. He will be ready just in time when Fiedler gets cut and Wanny gets fired for failing to get this team to at least the AFC Championship game.

I dont want anybody(McCown) being hailed as a Rob Johnson clone on the Dolphins.

I like Betts, but he is a 6-7th rounder, maybe even FA rookie.

Would love to somehow get Green, but Andre Gurode or Foster would be good in the first.

LOL KB, you're really optimistic. HA. Unlike last year though, I refuse to blast or argue with negative fans. Although I prefer to say positive, the negative fans of last off season proved correct because we flat out stunk up the field at the end of the year.

I'm fairly indifferent when it comes to Fiedler. I think both supporters and bashers have a valid debate. What I do know is that he is our starter so I will cross my fingers and support him.

Anyway, back the the thread: I have a HUNCH that Green will be a bust and Foster will be a star and TJ Duckett will be nothing more then a Ron Dayne clone. I don't have much to back this but like I said it's a HUNCH. Where was William Green for his team vs the Hurricanes? SUSPENDED, that's where. He doesn't have that many games vs top oppentents to get a good feel for what he can do therefore IMO is a very risky top 15 pick.

Originally posted by KB21
I think Gordon runs too straight up right now, and that's going to hurt him when he tries to gain yards after contact in the NFL.

QB should be a high priority. Fiedler will be gone in 2 years with Wannstedt (when he's fired for hitching his career to Jay Fiedler), and I'm sure the new coach would like to have a talented QB on the roster to start at that time. A young QB needs 2 years to get used to the NFL, so drafting one this year is a big priority, IMO. He will be ready just in time when Fiedler gets cut and Wanny gets fired for failing to get this team to at least the AFC Championship game.

Since you think the Fins will go to the toilet this season wouldn't it be smarter to wait till next year to draft a qb. You seem to think we will have a high draft pick, there will be more talent at qb(Grossman, Dorsey, Leftwich, Simms, and maybe Manning), and the 2 quality qbs will be long gone when Miami picks. I found it interesting you left Ducket of the rb list. After Green he would be my top choice. He is a powerfull inside runner, and never fumbles. Foster has trouble running inside, and puts the ball on the turf. I think with Minor locked in as the 3rd down back the inside runner is what we need. Oh yeah and Foster has been injury prone. He is actully my pick for biggest flop of the first round. Well John Henderson as well.

Originally posted by Dajesus

Since you think the Fins will go to the toilet this season wouldn't it be smarter to wait till next year to draft a qb. You seem to think we will have a high draft pick, there will be more talent at qb(Grossman, Dorsey, Leftwich, Simms, and maybe Manning), and the 2 quality qbs will be long gone when Miami picks. I found it interesting you left Ducket of the rb list. After Green he would be my top choice. He is a powerfull inside runner, and never fumbles. Foster has trouble running inside, and puts the ball on the turf. I think with Minor locked in as the 3rd down back the inside runner is what we need. Oh yeah and Foster has been injury prone. He is actully my pick for biggest flop of the first round. Well John Henderson as well.

Funny how you like Duckett, but criticize Foster for being injury prone. Duckett had a ton of injuries in college, and is a brusier, so he may be vulnerable for more injuries.

He made is through last season pretty much unscaved, and he doesn't put the ball on the ground half as much.

Funny how KB doesn't even include Duckett in this thread, yet if you go to his website, he has a mock draft where he has Duckett going to the Fins with our first pick. Did something happen to TJ between then and now or did you just forget what you already thought?
How can we take you seriously, if you say McCown" has the leadership skills I like to see in a QB" yet you can't recognize those same attributes in Jay Fiedler?

I don't project who I want the phins to take. I project who I think they will take. I have no confidence in their talent judging ability, so I gave them Duckett over Foster.

Duckett will be another Curtis Enis, IMO. Big guy with athleticism, but too stiff to be effective.

Foster has Shawn Alexander type ability, and if Ahman Green can cure his fumble problems, DeShaun Foster can.

Originally posted by KB21
I don't project who I want the phins to take. I project who I think they will take. I have no confidence in their talent judging ability, so I gave them Duckett over Foster.

Duckett will be another Curtis Enis, IMO. Big guy with athleticism, but too stiff to be effective.

Foster has Shawn Alexander type ability, and if Ahman Green can cure his fumble problems, DeShaun Foster can.

No confidence in their talent judging ability?!? How about Jamar Fletcher, Chris Chambers, Morlon Greenwood, and Travis Minor with the first four picks last year? I know there are still some questions about a couple of them, but they all have shown enough for a talent scout like you to admit, that's a Damn good foursome. So good in fact, that if we were to trade our first four picks for ANYBODY elses first four picks from last year, you would have a hard time finding a deal that you would like.

I don't project who I want the phins to take. I project who I think they will take
And on what criteria do you base the Dolphins projected pick on? Do you just look all over the internet for who you think is the most overrated and just assume that that is who the "morons" who run the Dolphins will pick? Or..... do you do exhaustive research, review countless game films, and have each and every guy you are interested in, come in for individual workouts so that you can then pick the the most inept of the logical choices as the one our "bumbling" braintrust will chose? I've got to know your system.:rolleyes:

I get game film from their respective schools and evaluate them. That's what I do in my off time.

.....and then you assume the Dolphins' brass, who will be doing the same thing as you obviously(:rolleyes: )do, isn't smart enough to take the best player? You are out of your mind.
DW and Spielman have already proven that they are excellent judges of talent as evidenced by last years' draft and the Chicago Bears of 2001, who had a roster full of players picked by Wann-Spiel and you still believe that they are,at best, lucky. Right?
Without trying to put together a rebuttal, just think about what you are saying for a minute. Soon the ridiculousness of your postion will become apparent.

Hmm. Let's evaluate.

Cade McNown -- Speil 1st round pick.

Curtis Enis -- Wann-Spiel 1st round pick.

Rick Mirer -- Wanny traded 1st round pick for him.

Rashaan Salaam -- Wanny 1st round pick.

John Theirry -- Wanny 1st round pick.

Jamar Fletcher -- Can't even win the dime back job. Much better CB in Fred Smoot was available. Offensive position was the bigger need.

Travis Minor -- Will never be anything but a 3rd down back. Wasted pick in the third round. 3rd down backs are a dime a dozen. Could have taken Greenwood, gotten Dominic Rhodes later, and kept the 2nd round pick in this year's draft.

Travis Minor was one of the best third round backs this year. He is great, and if we don't get Ricky he should start. He was a third round steal.

Back
Top Bottom