Offensive Scheme | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Scheme

It’s very obvious that Gase is making sure Tannehill doesn’t take any unnecessary hits right now. Everyone on this forum knows that in a real game situation on 3rd down on the goalline, Tannehill is bootlegging to the right. And they probably would have tossed one one up for Gesicki on 2nd down instead of running up the middle on 2nd and 16. Everyone needs to calm down. It’s PRESEASON. I know it’s frustrating to watch but it is what it is.

I think most of what we've seen so far this preseason is what we're made of, I'm afraid.

You can be hiding something up your sleeve but when you can't perform the basics consistently, what's up your sleeve won't matter.
I agree ...it’s sad and exhausting!

The post game presser by Gase remi ded me of something- the past 2 years. This guy is always saying how the offense struggled, too many penalties, etc. He looks genuinely depressed after each game.
Gase, you need to fix this .this is going on way too long. To the posters pointing out that Stills and Parker weren't in this game;
This could happen during the season. Parker coming in still doesntd matter because we don't know who he is..yet..again.
And if Stills gets injured, the receivers we had last night would be it. Make it work.
So with Gase, is it his system that needs to be precise every down? Or is it the players?
Seems like Stills, Wilson, and Amendola were pretty good elsewhere, why not here?
Or maybe it's Tannehill. He distributes the ball. If he feels like hitting the check down guy all the time, then there's a problem.
I'm not knocking any one single person, I'm just saying that we can see it's not working. There's a lot to question, and the answers don't seem to be very clear. You can't fix a problem until you know what it is.

I hope you guys dont think yesterday Gase is suppose to game plan for the panthers? This is about try outs (one on one matchups) this is not about game planning.
I would believe that of most coaches, but we will see the same thing over the next 4 months with the same results. I've seen this movie before, over, and over, and over again...

I personally am fine that they are limiting the number of longer developing plays in the preseason and sticking with shorter routes at the moment. It's very early and the line is still coming together, and the rookie TEs and RB are still figuring out our playbook. It'll get serious soon enough, but I don't want to see Tannehill's knee fail because of a hit he took in the preseason, and longer developing plays increase his exposure to that. Throw a few in preseason game three, and keep working on it in practice. He has looked sharp right out the gate with the shorter stuff. Hopefully that true with the longer routes come week 1.

This could happen during the season. Parker coming in still doesntd matter because we don't know who he is..yet..again.
And if Stills gets injured, the receivers we had last night would be it. Make it work.
So with Gase, is it his system that needs to be precise every down? Or is it the players?
Seems like Stills, Wilson, and Amendola were pretty good elsewhere, why not here?
Or maybe it's Tannehill. He distributes the ball. If he feels like hitting the check down guy all the time, then there's a problem.

You do realize Amendola played in a dink and dunk offense in New England. He only aves 9 yds per catch for his career. And lawd behold Wilson played in KC, speaking of not going down field. They the king of that. Wilson and Amendola are not wr who stretch the field.

It's also a game that you want to "try" to win. Otherwise what is the point? Don't cruise through preseason field goal happy and then get into the regular wondering why the team is weak in the red zone.

Man if you have that expectation of preseason game, you gonna be disappointed for the rest of your life.

Man if you have that expectation of preseason game, you gonna be disappointed for the rest of your life.

I'm not sure i'm following you. So coaches should go into a game with an expectation to lose? Are you trolling? Regardless of playing 2nd and 3rd string and executing plays/situations where more risk is involved, a good coach is still trying to win the game.

I've said this before. When you need 10 to 12 play to score a TD it doesn't work very often. The more plays you have to run the more chances for something to go wrong which last night it did on every drive. You need big plays sometimes. Last night each drive had either a penalty or a missed block or an incomplete pass and a negative run which kills the drive. That's why I didn't want us to run the offense thru Landry. That stuff doesn't work. You got a lot of speed now and you need to use it.
Totally agree

I'm not sure i'm following you. So coaches should go into a game with an expectation to lose? Are you trolling? Regardless of playing 2nd and 3rd string and executing plays/situations where more risk is involved, a good coach is still trying to win the game.
They dont expect anything. Its an evaluation. These are tryouts, they are observing individual players. Also they have different units for different plays. And I am 100% sure the plays are scripted. They gonna run certian plays regardless of the score.

When we hired Gase someone here posted that he looked at Chicago film and they never threw short of the sticks on third down. He guaranteed we would never do it here, that it was a thing of the past and one of the best aspects of the Gase hire.

I scoffed at the never aspect, since it happens league wide to some degree.

However, there is no question we bail out to those plays far too often. The maddening aspect is so many of them are the play design itself -- the intended receiver -- and not a mere dump off after the play broke down.

As I've posted countless times, I worked in a sports stats office for a few years and third down screen passes were identified as the height of stupidity. The entire office would burst out into laughter when those plays were called in a high profile game. There was one bowl game between Florida State and Penn State -- I believe -- in which third down screens were a combined 2 for 23, or something like that. It was surreal. Both teams were calling them all night and never bothering to notice that they weren't working. It went into multiple overtimes, partially accounting for so many possessions.

The percentage of success is actually higher in college than pro, though both are dreadful.

I'm convinced Adam Gase and the pro coaches never bother to check the numbers, the bottom line. They don't differentiate between second down, when screens are a competent choice, to third downs when they are disaster. It sounds cute and it looks good in practice, so they run it.

Then naturally every time it fails you hear the woes and moans of how close it was...if not for that one missed block we were in the end zone. Nat Moore fell prey to that last night.

Screen passes are ultimate sucker material. We need to cut it out. Don't design routes short of the marker. Treat it like a 3 point line in basketball. Make sure your guys are beyond the line, not shy of it.

how did Adams get HC job because of P.Manning... I think he need give up his duty to OC. focus on his team as whole. our offense still suck. it look like we did not fire last coach. we need score 25 point game to win in nfl.

If we run this scheme of short bubble screens and very conservative running game, we are going to have to be perfect in our execution. If we have a penalty or we take a loss on a play, there is no margin for error and we will not be able to overcome it. It certainly will be detrimental to the defense. Hopefully this will change and we open up a bit in the next game. If not, the predictions on the season maybe prophetic..

I agree.

They dont expect anything. Its an evaluation. These are tryouts, they are observing individual players. Also they have different units for different plays. And I am 100% sure the plays are scripted. They gonna run certian plays regardless of the score.

They do have expectations. They expect their players to execute. Overall that is what is required to win the game. I know they will run plays regardless of the score but the object of the game is to get down field and score points.

Back
Top Bottom