Offensive Tackle: Becton or Jones | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Tackle: Becton or Jones

I'm not taking either of them at 18

I wouldn't be overly thrilled with either of them. Among the two no question I prefer Becton. He is 20 years old and a 3-year guy who was a mixture of 3-star and mostly 4-star recruit, with offers from several biggies like Michigan and Oregon.

Jones is the type of resume I would reject every time among first round candidates, and allow others to scramble for the wonderful exceptions. He was a 3 star recruit who redshirted immediately in college and spent 5 years. No thank you. I prefer to be true to myself and the idea of devoting premium picks only to guys who have been dependably elite among their peers throughout their lives. Later in the draft you can screw around with the late blooming stiffs.

Overall I'd prefer to devote those late first round picks to 5 star recruits

One reason I have Josh Jones above Becton, and a reason I keep mentally slotting Becton to right tackle in my ideal scenarios, is because Mekhi has such limited experience with true pass sets. He’s in a run and play action based offense. I have heard the numbers say (and I believe them based on what I have seen) that he’s only had to kick step back into a pass set 73 times this year and he allowed pressure on like 8 of them which is a real bad number. I used to bring this up a whole lot when folks were giddy about Greg Robinson coming out of Auburn.

It is hard for me to see Becton’s size profile sliding inside to guard, but that is traditionally what I’d like to do in cases like this, it’s what I wanted for Greg Robinson. I wouldn’t do that with Mekhi but, especially given Miami’s needs, I would strongly consider taking both Josh Jones and Mekhi Becton and sliding the latter over to right tackle.

One reason I have Josh Jones above Becton, and a reason I keep mentally slotting Becton to right tackle in my ideal scenarios, is because Mekhi has such limited experience with true pass sets. He’s in a run and play action based offense. I have heard the numbers say (and I believe them based on what I have seen) that he’s only had to kick step back into a pass set 73 times this year and he allowed pressure on like 8 of them which is a real bad number. I used to bring this up a whole lot when folks were giddy about Greg Robinson coming out of Auburn.

It is hard for me to see Becton’s size profile sliding inside to guard, but that is traditionally what I’d like to do in cases like this, it’s what I wanted for Greg Robinson. I wouldn’t do that with Mekhi but, especially given Miami’s needs, I would strongly consider taking both Josh Jones and Mekhi Becton and sliding the latter over to right tackle.

I would say, Bingo.

Becton, to me, looks like a typical NFL RT.

I’m sure jones is a tackle just like I’m sure thomas is a tackle I’m not sure what Becton or wills are.

and I feel confident that if wirfs doesn’t work feet wise at right tackle he’s an easy kick inside

Think it's a classic, high ceiling versus high floor guy. Think Jones's floor is extremely high but Becton's got the highest ceiling of the two. Personally, I'm probably going Jones here because I want to take the safe option and that will be good enough, not a position I feel we need to take a chance on. I would be shocked if both are there at 18 though, if we still hold that pick come draft day.

Very accurate post. Watch him against Alabama in 2018. Anfernee Jennings (who is moving to ILB) beats him around the edge like 5 times

I wouldn't be overly thrilled with either of them. Among the two no question I prefer Becton. He is 20 years old and a 3-year guy who was a mixture of 3-star and mostly 4-star recruit, with offers from several biggies like Michigan and Oregon.

Jones is the type of resume I would reject every time among first round candidates, and allow others to scramble for the wonderful exceptions. He was a 3 star recruit who redshirted immediately in college and spent 5 years. No thank you. I prefer to be true to myself and the idea of devoting premium picks only to guys who have been dependably elite among their peers throughout their lives. Later in the draft you can screw around with the late blooming stiffs.

Overall I'd prefer to devote those late first round picks to 5 star recruits
Not usually the case tho. I think Ray Lewis was a 2 star recruit or something. Typically the best players in the NFL were under recruited players, with respect.

You've got to remember he only spent one season in Satterfield's offense. His previous years he spent in Bobby Petrino's O.

Mekhi is just beginning to scratch the surface of what he can do. After getting mediocre to poor OL coaching under Bobby's staff, he got excellent coaching from Dwayne Ledford last season and improved by leaps and bounds.

You've got to remember he only spent one season in Satterfield's offense. His previous years he spent in Bobby Petrino's O.

Mekhi is just beginning to scratch the surface of what he can do. After getting mediocre to poor OL coaching under Bobby's staff, he got excellent coaching from Dwayne Ledford last season and improved by leaps and bounds.

I agree with you. It's why I continue to be high on him.

But at this point I'm just more comfortable with Josh Jones.

He was actually the best I saw on tape, even better than Andrew Thomas. But he didn't play against the best competition. Even accepting that Houston plays in a weaker conference, the specific competition he faced in 2019 was weak even relative to that, I thought. So you needed to see some proof of concept at the Senior Bowl against real competition...and he did that. If the believability is there because of the Senior Bowl, then again you go back to the tape and evaluate the core skills and he was the best that way.

Back
Top Bottom