***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

Yea . . . really for me it comes down to Argentina vs. Nigeria and Colombia vs. Senegal.

I Fox Sports Go the rest of the games. Just watched Spain and watching Uruguay right now.

Probably gonna take Thursday off just because Colombia is my team behind Germany and U.S. Will take a long late lunch tomorrow to watch Argentina and Nigeria. Don’t care much for the morning games.

So FIFA is awful busy these days.
- Discplinary review against Xhaka and Shaqiri for making political statements on the field which is a no-no under FIFA rules.
- Disciplinary review against two German association employees for their actions after the win against Sweden against the Swedish bench.
- Disciplinary review against the Serbian coach for comments against the referee.
- The Serbian association is filing a complaint for something. lol
Soft punishments for everybody. :laugh

- Xhaka (approx $10,000), Shaqiri (approx $10,000) and Lichtsteiner (approx $5000) fined
- Serbian coach (approx $5000) fined
- Serbian Association fined approx $55000.
- unknown is the fine for two German officials who also have been banned by Germany to be inside the stadium area.
- in addition to all these fines: Argentina has to pay approx $105,000 for the actions of their fans against Croatia as Croatia was fined approx $13,000.

64829710.jpg

Wow. I was only away for a couple of days and I've been missing a lot here as it seems. First things first: I couldn't be happier with how Germany pulled through in the end. Hope is back that this will be a long tournament for our team.

But Germany needs to get their heads out of their asses these next two group games. If it means going with the youth and bringing guys like Khedira and Ozil off the bench, then so be it.
You predicted it, kudos! Who do you predict Löw will keep on the bench on Wednesday against South Korea. Müller?

I’ll say this . . . .they are gonna go out swinging and Neuer better be ready for some furious breaks by Sweden.
I'm glad you were right and I was wrong. I thought we were done at half time. Neuer made an incredible save just before the half to keep us in the game (and the tournament). But when Brandt hit the woodwork late in the 2nd half, I thought again this was it. And then Toni Kroos came along. Amazing.

How the hell did you get an "Umlaut"? :laugh
I'm German, typing on a German keyboard ;)

I honestly have no idea why more Americans don’t play soccer at a young age. I mean I guess they do, but America has the best athletes on the planet, but those great athletes go to the other sports for the most part.
And that's the real problem I believe. You can have much more fame and money with American Football and Basketball than with Soccer. In the US that is. Why would the kids want to play Soccer if they are idolizing Tom Brady and LeBron James? It would really be interesting to know but I believe that if you ask people in the streets in Germany, most people don't even know Stephen Curry or maybe even LeBron James (or Aaron Rodgers for that matter). They might know Tom Brady but only from his wife. Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, maybe Eric Wynalda or Alexi Lalas? Germans know these names.

I think part of it is they are scared of all the running you do in soccer for the amount of uninterrupted time . . . .at least that is the answer I have gotten from talented young athletes when I ask them.
Interesting. I have never thought about that but it's a valid point.

The U.S. not being at the WC was devastating to any potential that was built. We are in such a trendy society, even more so than 4 years ago. It will be insane in 8 years when they host . . . But that seems so far away at this point.
Now as soccer as gotten more popular more legit developmental programs are popping up and academies which are helping.
I'm currently reading a book about how Germany (or specifically Jürgen Klinsmann) transformed German football starting in 2004 and how we are reaping the benefits right now. Very interesting read and if Klinsmann could do half those things in the States while he was in charge, you guys are in for a positive surprise when you host the World Cup in 2026.

How did you get hooked?
I'm German, I'm born hooked. O:-) My father lives and dies soccer. My twin sister and I celebrated our 25-year-membership in our local Soccer club when we became 25. My father signed us up in that club a week before we were born so I didn't really have a chance to get around soccer.

but one of the most underrated things about ConCaCaf is road games in Central America and the Carribbean. It’s not like going to some major soccer stadium in a Europe with good turf and training grounds. It’s 95 degrees, dirt training grounds, ****ty pitches and just a very rough environment.
Good point indeed. Same with playing at Quito, Ecuador, for example. They rarely lose their home games because of the altitude.

Wow. I was only away for a couple of days and I've been missing a lot here as it seems. First things first: I couldn't be happier with how Germany pulled through in the end. Hope is back that this will be a long tournament for our team.

You predicted it, kudos! Who do you predict Löw will keep on the bench on Wednesday against South Korea. Müller?

I'm glad you were right and I was wrong. I thought we were done at half time. Neuer made an incredible save just before the half to keep us in the game (and the tournament). But when Brandt hit the woodwork late in the 2nd half, I thought again this was it. And then Toni Kroos came along. Amazing.

I'm German, typing on a German keyboard ;)

And that's the real problem I believe. You can have much more fame and money with American Football and Basketball than with Soccer. In the US that is. Why would the kids want to play Soccer if they are idolizing Tom Brady and LeBron James? It would really be interesting to know but I believe that if you ask people in the streets in Germany, most people don't even know Stephen Curry or maybe even LeBron James (or Aaron Rodgers for that matter). They might know Tom Brady but only from his wife. Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, maybe Eric Wynalda or Alexi Lalas? Germans know these names.

Interesting. I have never thought about that but it's a valid point.

I'm currently reading a book about how Germany (or specifically Jürgen Klinsmann) transformed German football starting in 2004 and how we are reaping the benefits right now. Very interesting read and if Klinsmann could do half those things in the States while he was in charge, you guys are in for a positive surprise when you host the World Cup in 2026.

I'm German, I'm born hooked. O:-) My father lives and dies soccer. My twin sister and I celebrated our 25-year-membership in our local Soccer club when we became 25. My father signed us up in that club a week before we were born so I didn't really have a chance to get around soccer.

Good point indeed. Same with playing at Quito, Ecuador, for example. They rarely lose their home games because of the altitude.
yeah, you got to keep up here. Things move fast in this thread. :laugh

You type on a German keyboard in the US? :roflmao I thought about it afterwards and thought that you maybe type from a mobile device. When I hold the vowels like a, o, u on the tablet or phone I also get "umlaute".

On of the problems in youth soccer is the organization in youth soccer. There is none in the US. Here in the US if a kid wants to play they are signed up with local soccer leagues in which most teams are thrown together and coached by daddy who may have never played the game again. They play a few games, get participation trophies and next year it starts over again. There are some "travel soccer leagues" but it is not well organized when you compared it to European or South American youth soccer.
The first time a kid might get exposed to some structured soccer is in HS, maybe, but most likely in college. But that is too late. In soccer team play in a competitive environment is very important. That is taught at a very early age. The one thing I always complained about with USNT is the lack of cohesiveness and the lack of a system, any system.

The one thing US socer has to ask itself is: how many of the current professional soccer players around the world have a college degree and how many have grown up in a structure youth organization?

But that is really a good thread for after the WC. I love to hear different opinions on that subject.

France and Denmark playing to the first scoreless tie in this WC and both qualifying and Peru has its first WC win since 1978 (40 years !!!) but was already eliminated prior to the game against Australia.
France as the 1st place team will wait who the runner up in Group D will be and Denmark will face the 1st place team from Group D.

With Group C finished here is the current bracket.

WC Bracket.jpg

It looks like Spain and France are locks for the semi-finals.

With a win tonight, Argentina would probably advance and play France in the round of 16. Should be a good one. Croatia and Spain in the quarters is also a strong possibility. That's going to be some awesome fights.

I am watching both games - one via stream and one on TV.
Argentina looks a little better against the world powerhouse (#47) Nigeria :laugh. The one goal lead is OK. The real danger for Argentina to be knocked out is Iceland right now. They had some mega chances in the 1st half. If they'd converted half of them Iceland would be up by 2 or 3 goals.

Back
Top Bottom