***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

Morocco vs Iran 0-1
What a weird game. Fast and quick in the first half especially from Morocco with chances for two games and in the 2nd half it became Iran's game by playing destructive defensive soccer with a lot of interruptions for little stupid fouls.
It is symbolic that Iran had no intention to win anymore and the game was decided by one of those stupid little fouls which was unnecessary and was more the result of incompetence and the subsequent own goal in the 90th minute.

Rule #1 when you learn soccer at a young age: never redirect a cross towards your own goal when you are in the middle of the penalty box. Only bad things can happen.:laugh

Second game today which was decided in extra stoppage time.

Ronaldo v Messi.... give me Ronaldo every time
That was a real good game though 1 of his goals was lucky and one was totally unnecessary. The defender makes the mistake to trip Ronaldo for the penalty. No need to even engage him like that. let him go. He was drifting to the outside and the middle was covered. And no need to talk about that goalie mistake. That was an error you make on the youth level. The third goal was an awesome free kick.

I am not a Ronaldo fan but I do see where you are coming from. Messi is not a player who can shoulder an entire team like Ronaldo.

1-1 at the half but let’s be real . . . .Argentina’s back 5 (including the keeper) is attrocious. There is no way they go far in this tournament with that unit playing the way they have.

Iceland playing like typical Iceland. Gritty and opportunistic.

**** Argentina, come on Iceland

1-1 at the half but let’s be real . . . .Argentina’s back 5 (including the keeper) is attrocious. There is no way they go far in this tournament with that unit playing the way they have.

I saw them a lot in the qualifiers. As I stated they are not a good team. They should have missed the WC (like Italy) completely. People who bought their Argentina jerseys over the last 30 years and cannot remember a WC without Argentina are in for a surprise.
I don't understand why everybody has had them as one of the favorites for this year. If anything they should have them in the category "they might sneak in".
Of course if doesn't help if Messi misses on those penalty shots.

Argentina's first choice keeper has been United's backup since 2015. He hardly ever plays at club level (though he isnt a total scrub, he started in the last world cup final) but Argentina rely on him, or they did until he got injured at the end of May.

It was already a weak area and they lost their first choice a few weeks before the tournament

Peru's kit is lovely
They played a good game. Their problem from the qualifiers became evident in this game. They just can't score. They have no long distance shooter or not even a medium range shooter. They only scored 27 goals in 18 games and recorded two 2-0 in the playoffs against #120 New Zealand. Guerrero came in way to late.
Peru needs to practice shots from midrange 15-25 yards out. Against France they are playing for their WC life. They don't want it to end after 3 games after a 36-year (!!!!) drought.

Denmark completely underperformed and has to play better to make any measurable impact on the WC.

My sleeper team Croatia with a fairly easy 2-0 win over Nigeria.

Manduzic has never been a pretty striker but man is he a handful up top.

Nigeria just looked confused and dare I say “slow”, all game. Think the stage might be too big for those youngsters.

My sleeper team Croatia with a fairly easy 2-0 win over Nigeria.

Manduzic has never been a pretty striker but man is he a handful up top.

Nigeria just looked confused and dare I say “slow”, all game. Think the stage might be too big for those youngsters.
It was a work win. Good solid win. Iceland should be able to beat Nigeria and Croatia will beat Argentina sending its fans into the valley of tears. :laugh

Back
Top Bottom