***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 48 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

Yea the ref should of stopped play. I get Croatia didn’t stop play when the England man was down, but it was away from play. Mandu was down right in the thick of it.
If that happens during the play and the ball stays in play I expect either team to keep playing at this stage - until the ref blows the whistle. But that ball was out and England made the throw in very fast. That is shitty.

Did you mean where he had that guy wide open guy in the middle?

I think Perisic passed it out wide to ice it and instead the guy shot a cross to the goalkeeper.

I mean obviously not as extreme as the Falcons Super Bowl blown lead . . .but sometimes the obvious play is not the right choice due to needing execution. Run that clock and ice the game.

Modric was pretty meh today but guy runs his heart out for sure.

Star of the game was a Perisic though. Excellent stuff from him today.

Modric was pretty meh today but guy runs his heart out for sure.

Star of the game was a Perisic though. Excellent stuff from him today.
It certainly wasn't Modric's best game (the Trippier goal was a direct result of his foul), but in the 2nd half when Croatia needed it, he and Rakitic stepped up and completely bossed the middle of the park. I can count on one hand the number of times Henderson and Alli touched the ball in the 2nd half - the domination was that complete.

Having said that, England have a bright future. Sterling, Alli, Rashford, Lindgard - all world class attackers and all under 25. They just need some connecting play, some sophistication, some possession to their game - you can't just play 100% direct attacking football all the time. Well ok, maybe you can - but I just don't think you can win a World Cup that way.

It certainly wasn't Modric's best game (the Trippier goal was a direct result of his foul), but in the 2nd half when Croatia needed it, he and Rakitic stepped up and completely bossed the middle of the park. I can count on one hand the number of times Henderson and Alli touched the ball in the 2nd half - the domination was that complete.

Having said that, England have a bright future. Sterling, Alli, Rashford, Lindgard - all world class attackers and all under 25. They just need some connecting play, some sophistication, some possession to their game - you can't just play 100% direct attacking football all the time. Well ok, maybe you can - but I just don't think you can win a World Cup that way.
I'd be careful about predicting the future of any national team. It seems like a very narrow window of opportunity. Technically Germany was the team to beat and everybody said after their last WC "the future is theirs". So many young players and so much talent coming out. Remember Goetze?

For England there will never be be an easier path to the finals as they had this year. And they make the same mistake like other Golden Generations before them (Chile, Belgium etc): they are happy with what they got with that young team. In 4 years that young team will be considered "old" and other teams got younger and faster.
France does the right thing. They say we got a young team and we are not happy until we have the cup. They know that this opportunity will not present itself. Croatia knows that this is the last opportunity for their second Golden Generation (after 1998). With a WC every 4 years you get one chance and then you have to rebuild for the next WC.

Back
Top Bottom