***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

One thing this World Cup showed, you better have some speed all over your attacking front. Between Mbappe and Hazard, the attacking units in England and Brazil . . . Speed and the ability to counter has easily eclipsed the need to be in possession 65% of the time aka the German way.

There is a reason why Timo Werner NEVER came off the pitch in 3 games for Germany . . . literally the only attacking player you can say that about (and would of been the only midfielder/forward if Kroos wasn’t so vital on free kicks). And it’s not that he was anything truly special . . . .but he was vital down the wings and was easily Germany’s most dangerous player in this Cup.

Germany was too slow out there . . .and to beat a dead horse, it was inexcusable not to put a Sane on that team, despite his pre Cup struggles. Even as a decoy, you just open up the middle so much more, and that is where the Germans are supposed to be stronger than anybody. So to compensate, you end up putting guys out of place and it just never works out.

That German team is not that old, but they looked it on the pitch. That is one thing I will give Klinsman, he watched a ton of American Football and brought an instant offense west coast attacking mindset to the normal methodical German side and they looked as dangerous as ever for a decade . . .but in this Cup you saw none of that.

The seasons are so long, especially for a team full of Bayern players who play literally as many games as anybody except for maybe Real Madrid.

Loew lost this cup before it even started, not saying it is all on him but his pre cup selections and mindset at minimum cost the team a knockout round place.

One thing this World Cup showed, you better have some speed all over your attacking front. Between Mbappe and Hazard, the attacking units in England and Brazil . . . Speed and the ability to counter has easily eclipsed the need to be in possession 65% of the time aka the German way.

There is a reason why Timo Werner NEVER came off the pitch in 3 games for Germany . . . literally the only attacking player you can say that about (and would of been the only midfielder/forward if Kroos wasn’t so vital on free kicks). And it’s not that he was anything truly special . . . .but he was vital down the wings and was easily Germany’s most dangerous player in this Cup.

Germany was too slow out there . . .and to beat a dead horse, it was inexcusable not to put a Sane on that team, despite his pre Cup struggles. Even as a decoy, you just open up the middle so much more, and that is where the Germans are supposed to be stronger than anybody. So to compensate, you end up putting guys out of place and it just never works out.

That German team is not that old, but they looked it on the pitch. That is one thing I will give Klinsman, he watched a ton of American Football and brought an instant offense west coast attacking mindset to the normal methodical German side and they looked as dangerous as ever for a decade . . .but in this Cup you saw none of that.

The seasons are so long, especially for a team full of Bayern players who play literally as many games as anybody except for maybe Real Madrid.

Loew lost this cup before it even started, not saying it is all on him but his pre cup selections and mindset at minimum cost the team a knockout round place.
I think this World Cup did put the final nail in the tiki-taka coffin. Spain, Germany, Portugal - all the possession teams were just not good enough. Defenses nowadays are just too big, athletic and smart to let the opposition triangle pass around them in their box (especially if you pack it with 10 men). Speed and athleticism (in addition to skill) are required to create and score these days. I suppose that has always been true to an extent (especially in say, the EPL), but it has been on full display in this World Cup.

I think this World Cup did put the final nail in the tiki-taka coffin. Spain, Germany, Portugal - all the possession teams were just not good enough. Defenses nowadays are just too big, athletic and smart to let the opposition triangle pass around them in their box (especially if you pack it with 10 men). Speed and athleticism (in addition to skill) are required to create and score these days. I suppose that has always been true to an extent (especially in say, the EPL), but it has been on full display in this World Cup.

Also those teams that rely on Tiki Taka had some generational talent in their primes. As great as some players on Spain and Germany are. They aren't in their prime Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Scweinny, or Lahm

Also those teams that rely on Tiki Taka had some generational talent in their primes. As great as some players on Spain and Germany are. They aren't in their prime Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Scweinny, or Lahm

In the case of Germany . . . that midfield group had as much talent as any of the other recent German teams . . . Hell maybe more. But they absolutely lacked that leader on the pitch. Schweinstager and Lahm were absolutely generational talents not only for their play but for their leadership. I’d put those 2 up with the Beckenbauers and Matthaus’ of Germans past.

I do agree on Lahm, but Kimmich will be great . . .on that whole team I am least concerned with him. But he is not Lahm yet. Lahm reminds me of Zach Thomas . . . Top 3 at his position for a decade while he played, but people will easily forget exactly what he brought to the team because he lacked physical stature but more than made up for that with his smarts.

And it amazes me it took them a game and a half to figure out that Timo Werner was the only 1 v 1 winning attacker option they had and then went away from it after the best stretch of futbol they played in this cup. How anybody could watch the 2nd half of the Sweden game and come to the conclusion we need more Ozil and Khedira is beyond comical. 5 changes LOL . . . Loew lost it.

Who is going to watch the game for 3rd place?
Players hate it mostly. Not as intense as the final but it is historically entertaining. In 1986 we had the last final with more than 3 goals. Since then the final has produced 10 goals in 7 games. The game for 3rd place has produced 27 goals in 7 games.
Tomorrow two teams meet who have scored the most goals in this WC: 14 (Belgium) vs 12 (England). Two players will battle for the scorer crown: Kane 6 vs Lukaku 4

Hopefully it will be as entertaining as the previous "little finals".

Who is going to watch the game for 3rd place?
Players hate it mostly. Not as intense as the final but it is historically entertaining. In 1986 we had the last final with more than 3 goals. Since then the final has produced 10 goals in 7 games. The game for 3rd place has produced 27 goals in 7 games.
Tomorrow two teams meet who have scored the most goals in this WC: 14 (Belgium) vs 12 (England). Two players will battle for the scorer crown: Kane 6 vs Lukaku 4

Hopefully it will be as entertaining as the previous "little finals".
I'm finding it hard to be very interested... ...maybe I'll tape it and do the speed-watch thing...

Yea I am going to watch it. It’s a solid matchup that could of easily been the final with a little luck for either side.

I remember watching the 3rd place Germany vs. Portugal back in 2006 at a outdoor festival in a small town outside of Koln. Clearly wasn’t “edge of your seat” stuff but it was a good time. It was a send off for Oliver Kahn more than anything.

If France wins at least i got that right I've been on them since the round of 16 started

So yea . . . **** the 3rd place game for now. Rafa and Djokovic putting on a classic at Wimbledon. 8-8 in the 5th with high quality.

Ok its over . . . epic stuff. Djokovic is back.

Back to the most meaningless game in all of sports LOL

I thought i heard the final was today. I was waiting for it now i find out its tomorrow

Yea that was a boring game. Glad i only watched the 2nd half.

France is clearly the better and more talented side but we'll see if that gritty Croatian team can control the midfield and get a few chances.

Mbappe will be hell on wheels for their defensive line which again stresses Croatian midfield dominance to have a shot.

I say 3-1 France

Yea that was a boring game. Glad i only watched the 2nd half.

France is clearly the better and more talented side but we'll see if that gritty Croatian team can control the midfield and get a few chances.

Mbappe will be hell on wheels for their defensive line which again stresses Croatian midfield dominance to have a shot.

I say 3-1 France
I agree - France just has so much talent throughout the entire lineup. And while Modric and Rakitic are elite midfielders, I don't see how they can dominate (and they'll need to) Pogba and Kante, who are similarly excellent (though more economical and more direct). Mbappe is a gamebreaker - no one (including Croatia) has an answer for him. 2-1 France.

I have no favorite in this game. Looking forward to a great final. I am more sad that I have to wait another 4 years. Who knows I may not be alive anymore. :sorry

Back
Top Bottom