Official Finheaven 2020 Draft Thread - Day 1 | Page 76 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Finheaven 2020 Draft Thread - Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tua pick was fantastic, such a relief. Not just because we have a supremely talented player, but also becuase it signalled that the FO (or some of them) are willing to take risks and not be lead by conventional 'wisdom'/fear.

#18 was always a 'no mans land' pick, I assume we tried to trade up with SF for Wirfs, which is what forced the Bucs to do the same, but I guess SF didn't want to drop too far and risk losing Kinlaw, or their asking price to do so was too much. So OT5 was always going to be the pick, I would have said Josh Jones instead of Austin Jackson, but the fact Jones is still available shows that would also have been a reach. Either way both need development so we'll have to wait and see. I don't see it as great value as Jackson could probably have been had later, so could we have traded back or taken someone else? I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected Cesar Ruiz to still be there at #26 (damn Saints, second year in a row taking a C/G that we 'should' have had), but Chaisson and Murray would have been able to make an impact sooner. I guess an OT was such an overriding and obvious need to risk not getting in early. An excusable reach, but perhaps taking Chaisson and risking that one of Jackson and/or Jones would be there at #26 would have been better.

Igbinoghene at #30 was an odd one. We have been told many times that Flores' defense will utilise many backs and will need depth, but enough so to use a first round pick? His profile has been steadily rising over the last several weeks and he has potential, but CB was probably the last position I would have spent a first round pick on. I understand that no backs or safeties had gone at that point so I imagine they really liked Igbinoghene and hedged their bets that they'll still be able to pick up a safety and RB in round 2, while Igbinoghene may not have been there at 39. It'll be interesting to see who goes tonight before we pick first, we already 'missed out' on Patrick Queen who I would have taken instead. A good move to trade back and try and fill that void between 70 and 141, and although the pick gained was only a slight improvement on 141 I imagine the two could be packaged together for a higher pick. I guess this is also another nail in the coffin for the idea of moving McCain back to slot/nickel corner and they'll persevere with this bizarre experiment at safety or cut him.

So a great day because we got Tua, but I was underwhelemed by the other two. They have potential and could be developed into good starters, but that's not really what I was hoping for from first round picks. Tua, Chaisson and then Jackson or Josh Jones would have been great, however it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:
Except Minkah thought he had more say than the coach and when told to shut and do his job he wanted out of town. See we moved on we don't need quitters on this team.

Then there is Tunsil very good player! But he wants to set records when it comes to pay. And the dude commits to many penalties for that. Plus you don't offensive linemen that much and keep the playmakers as well. We have only used one of our picks that we got for him.

We are trending in the right direction. The biggest gamble is on the QB. He is a great player. But can he stay healthy for a whole season... We are at step two of about a 4 step process. We are not aiming for the superbowl this season.

Minkah bailed in response to the Tunsil trade. They don't get a pass for ticking off the team by trading Tunsil right before week one.

Tunsil just signed largest contract for Lineman ever. 22 million per season. Glad they traded him.
Minkah bailed in response to the Tunsil trade. They don't get a pass for ticking off the team by trading Tunsil right before week one.

Tunsil just signed largest contract for Lineman ever. 22 million per season. Glad they traded him.

That contract happened as a result of the leverage Tunsil gained both after the trade and with the spiral of death BOB is in as a GM. He signed that contract this year.

We drafted a player who chances are won't end up as good. We drafted potential and a guy whose high upside is balanced by him being a bit of a project who underperformed in college last you. Mind you, I don't have the pick, but I didn't love the trade. If this guy does end up as good as Tunsil, it may take 2-3 years for him to get there. That's 3-4 years we'll have gone with a lesser player at LT.

There's other implications of that trade. Minkah doesn't go and need to be replaced if we don't waive the white flag with that trade (let's also stop and think for a moment that Minkah was actually right in the idea that he could excel of used properly, as he proved). Maybe we have more of an idea of the running game because we didn't have an offensive line that was the worst run blocking line since the NFL merger - almost 50 years there and no team was as bad. Maybe Drake actually buys in and signs longterim since he's not yet another player who doesn't want to be in a white flag waiving organization. Maybe we get a better evaluation on a young QB, since the line was so bad in the wake of the Tunsil trade that not even Fitz was effective then - in fact he was worse than Rosen in that stretch, despite having almost as many years of experience as Rosen has being alive.

But the fact of the matter is, right now we got everyone's favorite QB prospect, who might also be made of glass, and since we don't have a Tunsil to build that line around, we will still probably be fielding a bottom 5 line next year. Maybe it will be better in 3-4 years, but our line depth is going to be composed mostly of band-aids, projects, and untested rookies without even stability around them to ensure they the best chance to maximize their development. Its scary.

Miami is going to screw the pooch again. What a horrible organization. They always think they are smarter than everyone else. During the Miami Hurricanes heyday when they were the best team in college football the Dolphins never drafted anyone from the U. Now they are going to pass on a guy that has been highly touted since the day he entered college for a guy that played at Utah State. This team is about to pull as dumb a move as the Bears preferring Trubisky over Watkins and Mahomes.
:cheers:

Huzzah! His Finheaven fan mail has arrived

That or hats from every NFL team. Personally I think FH love letters are much more likely

I don't mean to go full blown cultist ... But is he wearing an Aqua and orange jacket? On draft day?

Hours later...I'm still obsessed with the aqua and orange jacket. It's the worst jacket that I have ever seen...but it's aqua and orange

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom