𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

Is that Great Lakes fishing? Looks like kings and silvers (or chinooks and cohos as we Canadians like to call them). Some nice sized kings there - good stuff!

Yup! Lake Ontario... Biggest King I ever caught there was a 27 pounder...Cant wait for august to go back again...
I used to fish for silvers and kings in Alaska. Caught some reds and pinks too. I thought the silvers were the best eating though. Nothing you can buy in the store tastes like fish you freshly caught. Btw, how do you fish the kings in Lake Ontario? Troll or cast? Can you net them? Are they spawning there or do they go upriver somewhere? Just wondering.

'ol Bump's Fishing 101 class had a successful afternoon. We caught 3 freshwater drum, and a pretty nice smallmouth.

No pics (due to the fact that the students are someone else's children - parents might get pissy about Mr. "Bumpus" putting their kids on the net) ... But I was particularly excited for one of the kids. It was the first fish he ever caught. You should've seen the grin that was (& probably still is) plastered on his face. :)

'ol Bump's Fishing 101 class had a successful afternoon. We caught 3 freshwater drum, and a pretty nice smallmouth.

No pics (due to the fact that the students are someone else's children - parents might get pissy about Mr. "Bumpus" putting their kids on the net) ... But I was particularly excited for one of the kids. It was the first fish he ever caught. You should've seen the grin that was (& probably still is) plastered on his face. :)

You probably didn't teach them about the part where the cooler needs to be full of beer before you start fishing.

That is outstanding, spending time with kids and teaching them about the outdoors is truly amazing. So many kids today have no idea how to fish, hunt, or anything else. Great job, Bump.

Went yesterday afternoon. Not much luck besides a small black fin. Guess it wasnt a total loss at least.

I used to fish for silvers and kings in Alaska. Caught some reds and pinks too. I thought the silvers were the best eating though. Nothing you can buy in the store tastes like fish you freshly caught. Btw, how do you fish the kings in Lake Ontario? Troll or cast? Can you net them? Are they spawning there or do they go upriver somewhere? Just wondering.

Hey Buddy i visited Alaska as a kid. My father worked for Natl airlines so we always flew for free on standby and one year it was to visit an uncle who like you was stationed in the military (i may have already told you this ) We took a trip to Seward from Anchorage and along the way stopped at a stream that was full of big salmon going home to spawn and die. My uncle wadded out into the shallow stream and grabbed a big one to show us. It had a hump back and a crooked nose. Probably about 20 lb and the coolest thing I had ever seen. I think I was 6.

This one I think

redsalmon1_zpsix6gwz1y.jpg

Always want to go back but never did. i bet you had a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Buddy i visited Alaska as a kid. My father worked for Natl airlines so we always flew for free on standby and one year it was to visit an uncle who like you was stationed in the military (i may have already told you this ) We told a trip to Seward from Anchorage and along the way stopped at a stream that was full of big salmon going home to spawn and die. My uncle wadded out into the shallow stream and grabbed a big one to show us. It had a hump back and a crooked nose. Probably about 20 lb and the coolest thing I had ever seen. I think I was 6.

This one I think

That is a pink salmon and they are really cool looking but aren't the best eating, especially once they start to change color. They turn red with a green head and their nose hooks more as they move up the fresh water as they are salt water fish and they can't survive in fresh water but their eggs thrive in it...nature is crazy but amazing sometimes. It very well could have been Ship Creek, which is in downtown Anchorage or more likely, Bird Creek, which is just outside Girdwood where you stopped. I used to fish both places and caught a ton of silvers in Bird Creek. Was the place your uncle got the fish right near the ocean or further inland? If it was right near the ocean off the highway, it was very likely Bird Creek. Either way, I would move back to Alaska in a heart beat but my wife just isn't having it. She would never get that far from the grandkids, oh well.

It was about half way if i remember correctly (between Anchorage and Seward ) so not near the ocean. When we got to Seward we visited the docks were they were showing off HUGE halibut. Several hundred LB's each. Saw a moose and a glacier as well. Great trip for a kid.

Hey Buddy i visited Alaska as a kid. My father worked for Natl airlines so we always flew for free on standby and one year it was to visit an uncle who like you was stationed in the military (i may have already told you this ) We told a trip to Seward from Anchorage and along the way stopped at a stream that was full of big salmon going home to spawn and die. My uncle wadded out into the shallow stream and grabbed a big one to show us. It had a hump back and a crooked nose. Probably about 20 lb and the coolest thing I had ever seen. I think I was 6.

This one I think

That's a sockeye salmon in full spawning colors (you Americans call them "reds" sometimes). They're not great fighters but they are the best eating Pacific salmon, period (in fact maybe the best eating fish). In the ocean, they're not red at all - completely silver with bluish backs, a beautiful fish really. In BC (where I'm from) there is one small river (the Adams River) where literally millions of them spawn in the fall. The entire river is bank-to-bank red with them. Spectacular sight if you're ever fortunate enough to see it.

That is a pink salmon and they are really cool looking but aren't the best eating, especially once they start to change color.
No, it's actually a sockeye or a red. And they are an excellent eating fish in the ocean (but you're right, they're not good once they change color). Pink salmon are smaller and turn dark with an even larger humpback and hooked jaw when they're spawning. They also don't taste very good compared to sockeyes.

Don't get me started about Pacific salmon - I could go on all day! :)

It was about half way if i remember correctly (between Anchorage and Seward ) so not near the ocean. When we got to Seward we visited the docks were they were showing off HUGE halibut. Several hundred LB's each. Saw a moose and a glacier as well. Great trip for a kid.
Sounds awesome!

No, it's actually a sockeye or a red. And they are an excellent eating fish in the ocean (but you're right, they're not good once they change color). Pink salmon are smaller and turn dark with an even larger humpback and hooked jaw when they're spawning. They also don't taste very good compared to sockeyes.

It appears that you are correct, my bad. I never realized that reds got so, well, red. I always caught them before they turned and figured the red described the meat. I know I'm different but I always preferred silvers. Kings and reds are both fantastic but my favorite is the silvers, given that all are freshly caught.

That's a sockeye salmon in full spawning colors (you Americans call them "reds" sometimes). They're not great fighters but they are the best eating Pacific salmon, period (in fact maybe the best eating fish). In the ocean, they're not red at all - completely silver with bluish backs, a beautiful fish really. In BC (where I'm from) there is one small river (the Adams River) where literally millions of them spawn in the fall. The entire river is bank-to-bank red with them. Spectacular sight if you're ever fortunate enough to see it.

I love Alberta and the western part of BC, absolutely gorgeous. I've never been to the BC coast but it's on my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom