****Official Free Agent Signings**** | Page 96 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Official Free Agent Signings****

If this is an attempt at an "I told you so moment," please consider that a team that has won exactly one game in two years just made this decision. Add this to the cluster of horrendously awful personnel moves by that franchise. Gave up a 4th rounder in the process. Maybe he'll crack 1,000 yards for them as a reward.

Question: Name one other team in the NFL that would have come close to this figure? Answer: No one, which is why he's a Brown.

And for the last time, please learn the rules. Miami was not going to get a third round comp pick. Their spending in free agency would preclude that from happening. Getting a 4th round pick for him THIS YEAR turned out to be a shrewd gamble with the tag. Show me another team that did this for a player they did not want anymore? Bye Jarvis, enjoy Cleveland and all that $$.

I'm aware their spending precluded that unless you missed the 'at least they signed ...' part. But they HAD to spend. It's just hard keeping up with all this next level, 4th dimensional thinking. My bad.

Even if the Browns do end up being respectable and even if Jarvis was an integral part of that, he wouldn't get any credit. Ajayi (well, the dolphins in general ... took out their trash to help them get Wentz. I got blasted for disagreeing with that one as well. I'm used to it.) helped a team win a damn SB and you'd think his contribution was rooting for them from the sidelines.

When players leave the Dolphins they are trash. Fans adopt this way of thinking for because the coaches come out and say it in press conferences. I've been over this and over this and over this. It'd be awesome if it they didn't do that and this wasn't an issue ... but it is ... so I'm just trying to encourage readers to stop falling for it.

I'm aware their spending precluded that unless you missed the 'at least they signed ...' part. But they HAD to spend. It's just hard keeping up with all this next level, 4th dimensional thinking. My bad.

Even if the Browns do end up being respectable and even if Jarvis was an integral part of that, he wouldn't get any credit. Ajayi (well, the dolphins in general ... took out their trash to help them get Wentz. I got blasted for disagreeing with that one as well. I'm used to it.) helped a team win a damn SB and you'd think his contribution was rooting for them from the sidelines.

When players leave the Dolphins they are trash. Fans adopt this way of thinking for because the coaches come out and say it in press conferences. I've been over this and over this and over this. It'd be awesome if it they didn't do that and this wasn't an issue ... but it is ... so I'm just trying to encourage readers to stop falling for it.

I think it’s a case of the FO playing 5D Chess...lol

Gotcha. You generally seem much more jovial.

Do you really think he was worth paying the tag they put on him?

I'm not actually mad if anyone is wondering. It is hard though. I want to be looking forward to the season thinking 'this is the year'. I haven't thought that since Marino retired.

What I think is going to happen is Thill is going to have a pretty slow start because of the injury - totally understandable - and things don't start clicking until midseason. I think they'll be okay but not good enough to compete for the division (how many is that in a row for NE?..) and meaningful football will be over somewhere around week 14. And I'm probably going to be right. I don't want to think that but it just keeps happening. That's the problem.

As for the question, it would literally be hard for me to get the team in the spot it's at. I would've given a decent line and weapons to the green QB I was giving the keys to my franchise to ... and if it didn't work out I'd know in the first couple years and not be excruciating over whether or not 'he was the guy' after 7 seasons. I'd have a backup QB who I was comfortable with, you know, being my backup QB so I wouldn't fool myself into signing a never-was that doesn't give 2 shits in case 'my guy' got hurt. I wouldn't have signed Suh to a team with this many holes ... and I sure as hell wouldn't have restructured him to piss more money away in FA ... and even if I was drunk and forced at gun point to do so I wouldn't have released him during the highest point of his newly restructured astronomical cap hit. I wouldn't have extended Kiko, Branch or Jones ... I wouldn't have even signed the first two to begin with. I would've inked Landry last off season before our backs were up against the wall ... or for the sake of discussion let's say he is totally unmanageable (I'm not there ... I honestly don't know) and/or just a marginal talent ... I would've maximized value for my commodity (What did the FA pool at WR look like again?). Lots of stuff to not get them where they're at right now.

But for the here and now yes I would've signed Landry over Wilson and Amendola. A million times yes.

And man oh man would I love to be wrong about all of it so I could go back to enjoying football.

This is not a bad contract AT ALL. Beautifully structured.

Easy out after two years with very modest dead cap hits for the remaining years 3 years.

17 million per year for the next two years is not "at all" bad for Jarvis Landry? If they can get out of that deal in 2 years, then it looks very likely that Landry will be on a new team 48 months from now

Julio Jones is paid 10m in 2018 and 12.5m in 2018. Jarvis Landry will be paid 17...

17 million per year for the next two years is not "at all" bad for Jarvis Landry? If they can get out of that deal in 2 years, then it looks very likely that Landry will be on a new team 48 months from now

Julio Jones is paid 10m in 2018 and 12.5m in 2018. Jarvis Landry will be paid 17...

Julio Jones contract is not relevant to this discussion. His contract was signed in 2015. The cap has gone up 35 million since then. Prime Julio would get 20 mill per season on average in this market.

And the cap hit for Jarvis is 15.5 and 14 million for 2018 and 2019. Then there's an out in 2020. But the cap hits in 2020 and 2021 are still only sitting at 14.5 and 14.8. And the cap will certainly be rising. That's not a bad deal at all considering Landry's proven production and durability.

For comparison sakes, Albert Wilson is set to be an 8 million dollar cap hit in 2019, and he hasn't proven to be half the player Landry is.

Julio Jones contract is not relevant to this discussion. His contract was signed in 2015. The cap has gone up 35 million since then. Prime Julio would get 20 mill per season on average in this market.

And the cap hit for Jarvis is 15.5 and 14 million for 2018 and 2019. Then there's an out in 2020. But the cap hits in 2020 and 2021 are still only sitting at 14.5 and 14.8. And the cap will certainly be rising. That's not a bad deal at all considering Landry's proven production and durability.

For comparison sakes, Albert Wilson is set to be an 8 million dollar cap hit in 2019, and he hasn't proven to be half the player Landry is.

Statistically no, but he's a hell of a lot faster, lets see how the year plays out. Plus we aren't likely to cut Wilson in 2 years like the Browns likely will with Juice, less pressure to produce. It's smart to spread the ball around as opposed to being so focused on 1 player, we're better off with Amendola and Wilson for 2018 than Juice for a lot less GUARANTEED coin too which gives us more options in the future. It's not a bad deal for the Browns all things considered, they had to get this done and Juice had a ton of leverage. I think we played it smart though by using our leverage against Juice which got us a free 4th and 7th round pick, time will tell if it was the right move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom