---Official Golf Thread---- | Page 57 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

---Official Golf Thread----

Oh they aren't the problem lol. It has been two holes a round that I have just melted down. Shot my first 18 of the year and struggled mighty on holes 1, 2 & 3 (double, double, boogie) and still pulled a 45 out on the front by stringing some pars and birdie together. Hard to have a good round when you are +5 for the first three holes.

Shot better on the back but same story had one hole ruin my round a par 3 that usually never gives me much trouble I dubbed two into the water and took a 7, came back the next hole and birdied. So in 4 holes I gave up 8 strokes. The other 14 holes I shot OK on and didn't feel like I struggled. Hell if you took my best 9 holes out of the 18 I played I had a 38 on the card.

I just haven't been able to string it all together but the good news is I've played more this year so far than last so it will come. Gotta hit the range this week and I have a caption and crew on Saturday. So far I love the Calloways, I haven't gave up any distance at all and they feel nice even the mis-hits.

Glad to hear you like the Calloways. I looked at those when I was in the market but ended up with Mizuno's. Both were game improvement irons and had a great feel, but with golf clubs, it is more the way it looks when you set up than anything else...if you feel like you can hit it.....then you can hit it.

I hear you about the meltdown holes. I have two buddies I play with every weekend and both can hit the ball pretty well....but......like clockwork they will have a snowman or two on each side which just kills their score. Both shoot in the upper 90's and could definitely do better if they managed to avoid these high scores. As you mentioned above, you can bogey or double bogey a few holes and recover, but 7's and 8's add up pretty fast.

Every time I've tried to up grade my clubs I've been disappointed. I bought a slightly used set of big bertha irons a few years ago and ended up giving them away and still play with some knock off clubs I had a pro club put together for me years ago. They are not pretty but they work for me. I also bought a brand new Big Bertha Alpha adjustable driver when they first came out. Looked great. Could not hit it a lick and It ended up on E bay.
Play 9 today and shoot a reasonable 43. Not a single snow man on the card :)

Bob you made a comment on here last year about just limiting your really bad holes by playing a little conversative and keeping the ball in play without any penalty strokes . That is how I play now trying to not have doubles and just make boogies and pars slipping in an occasional birdie. Works for me.

Glad to hear you like the Calloways. I looked at those when I was in the market but ended up with Mizuno's. Both were game improvement irons and had a great feel, but with golf clubs, it is more the way it looks when you set up than anything else...if you feel like you can hit it.....then you can hit it.

I hear you about the meltdown holes. I have two buddies I play with every weekend and both can hit the ball pretty well....but......like clockwork they will have a snowman or two on each side which just kills their score. Both shoot in the upper 90's and could definitely do better if they managed to avoid these high scores. As you mentioned above, you can bogey or double bogey a few holes and recover, but 7's and 8's add up pretty fast.

Snowmen are usually rare for me. Double boogies sure now and again but usually I'm a consistent 43 to 46 guy.

Typical boogie golfer. When it all goes right I'll dip into the high 30's.

Where I have been improving my game is that old bull philosophy....play the smart shot, not the hero shot. That's where I'm hoping to imporove my game and drop a few strokes.

Every time I've tried to up grade my clubs I've been disappointed. I bought a slightly used set of big bertha irons a few years ago and ended up giving them away and still play with some knock off clubs I had a pro club put together for me years ago. They are not pretty but they work for me. I also bought a brand new Big Bertha Alpha adjustable driver when they first came out. Looked great. Could not hit it a lick and It ended up on E bay.
Play 9 today and shoot a reasonable 43. Not a single snow man on the card :)

Bob you made a comment on here last year about just limiting your really bad holes by playing a little conversative and keeping the ball in play without any penalty strokes . That is how I play now trying to not have doubles and just make boogies and pars slipping in an occasional birdie. Works for me.

Glad the strategy is working for you! I try to tell my golf buddies......take your medicine and play the smart shot.......but it is easy to say and difficult to do. I learned a long time ago that the key to scoring isn't a bunch of birdies....its eliminating the big scores.

I'm a 10 handicap and usually shoot between 80 and 85. My goal is 4 pars per side and no worse than bogey on a hole. If you do that, you will shoot 82. When you start thinking about it in those terms, it isn't such a daunting task. If I happen to make a double....which does happen....then I need 5 pars that side to even it out.......

43 is a great score and by the end of the season that will likely be much lower......good for you! I have newer irons, but my driver is a Hogan EBay special that I love......had it about 8 years and it isn't going anywhere.

Snowmen are usually rare for me. Double boogies sure now and again but usually I'm a consistent 43 to 46 guy.

Typical boogie golfer. When it all goes right I'll dip into the high 30's.

Where I have been improving my game is that old bull philosophy....play the smart shot, not the hero shot. That's where I'm hoping to imporove my game and drop a few strokes.

there is a saying........."You hit a terrible shot to get in here, what makes you think you can hit a perfect shot to get out"?

there is a saying........."You hit a terrible shot to get in here, what makes you think you can hit a perfect shot to get out"?

Walter Hagen:
Now what you have to understand Bobby is that three bad shots and one good shot still make par. You see, golf is the game of recovery.

That would have to be three bad shots and one really fantastic one :)
I heard that quote from Hagen in my 2nd favorite golf movie The legend of Bagger Vance.

Walter Hagen:
Now what you have to understand Bobby is that three bad shots and one good shot still make par. You see, golf is the game of recovery.
Well he is right.....if you play golf, you have to be an optimist.....

Tournament is a rainout today but I got a round in yesterday.

First 9 was a 43 with two doubles on the card. Felt like a good round finally except the first and last hole.

Second 9 was a 46 with three doubles on the card for an 89. It's finally feeling like I'm playing golf again and not whacking away at sod.

If you take my best 9 holes out of the 18 I had 5 pars, 2 birdies and 2 boogies for an even 36. Now if I can just get those 9 holes in row! I've never shot even par best round ever thru 9 was a 38 (+2).

Last edited:
Great to see Tiger playing well again. Not gonna catch Webb Simpson but he should finish in the top 5.

Going to start playing again this summer.

I used to play a lot as a teenager, in summer I would play pretty much everyday until I had to go back to school. Was oksih, got my handicap into the teens I think.

I played at a good course, but when I turned 18 I stopped being a juvenile and would have had to pay the full mens rate .... as an 18 year old University student, well £700 per year to play golf wasn't exactly my top priority. That was years ago now, about a decade and I have hardly touched a club since.

My new house isnt a tiny apartment and I actually have a garage for the first time since I moved out to go to Uni, so I recently dug my clubs (absurdly overpriced Nike clubs, they look very flashy but are probably crap lol I had a nice Taylor Made driver but I think I sold it ) out of the very back of my dads garage. I always had a bit of a slice at the best of times, I dread to think what my swing looks like now and how many airshots I am going to have to take, but im going to give golf another go - if nothing else, zig zagging from the rough on one side of the fairway to the rough on the other side should be good exercise...

I have found a course near my house that isn't very expensive to play, its only 9 holes but its supposed to be 9 fairly high quality holes. My cousin is a member of a very good course about a half hour away, so il probably play a few rounds by myself then head over there.

Will need to buy some new clothes. I liked the hats, but I can't say I missed the trousers

Playing my first proper round of golf in about 9 years tomorrow. Excited! But also dreading to think how many balls I will lose

FB_IMG_1526517064533.jpg

Not going to the quality 9 hole course I mentioned before. Going to a different course which is very cheap, frankly I am expecting it to be a very low quality course - but all I want is a chance to see if I can still swing a club without taking an airshot every other attempt.

Will play a couple of very cheap rounds at this course. Then I will go to a driving range I have found in my new localish area and spend a couple of nights hitting balls there before heading to play at my cousins course.

I can't pretend I like my irons very much, (turns out buying clubs because you are 15 and think that shiny, yellow, Nike branded irons are cool is a bad idea) but they will more than do the job for a while.

Desperately need a new putter at some point though, I used to have a lovely Ping one, dunno where that went. Only have a nasty, super heavy/clunky one that came free with some old irons. As I thought, I sold my R7 (it was nice at the time lol) Driver but I still have a Taylor Wood 3 and 5 wood that I adore. They are probably nearly as old as me, they were my dads, but they are my favourite clubs in the world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom