---Official Golf Thread---- | Page 59 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

---Official Golf Thread----

This is the one I'm using.

white-ice-2-ball-long-putter.jpg

81I2yvRxhsL._SX463_.jpg

I actually bought it as a long bell putter and when that did not work I had them cut off the top part so now it's regular size and working pretty good some days.

A buggy is a bit out of my budget :p plus I am fat and need the exercise!

My Mrs walked round with me today, she knows nothing about golf but it was a lovely day and she wanted to go for a walk.

Just over a year ago I moved about an hour and a halfs drive away from my family and the friends I used to golf with. I abolutely love where I live, but I don't really know anyone in the area, we ususlly keep to ourselves or go out with friends to resteraunts etc in the city 25 mins away. I suppose if I join one of the clubs I will eventually get to know local golfers, but for now its just me.

To be honest id prefer not to make a tit of myself infront of other players anyway. Can play in public when I remember how to hit a ball properly!

The biggest difference with the courses in this area is that they are all US style parkland courses; inland, little wind, narrow fairways, no proper rough, lots of trees. I grew up on a (very windy!) traditional British links course that was covered in sand hills. Its very different

Playing 9 holes of golf and walking burns 720 calories (doesn't really matter if you use a pull cart or carry your bag the difference it marginal). It's a great way to burn off fat and I've been walking all year as well. I walked 18 two Sunday's ago.

This is the one I'm using.

white-ice-2-ball-long-putter.jpg

81I2yvRxhsL._SX463_.jpg

I actually bought it as a long bell putter and when that did not work I had them cut off the top part so now it's regular size and working pretty good some days.

I just bought this O-works putter and so far I love it. It's ****in' pricey at $200 but that's what I paid for my Bettinardi back in the day..........for years my putter was the most expensive club in my bag.............in fact I think it still is today lol. I bought my irons used for $200 total., 3-wood $100 and 3-hybrid $96............I just looked the Driver new was $220. **** I must have gotten a raise that's $800 on clubs in three years!!!!!!!!!!!! **** me that's absurd.

odyssey-oworks-1.jpg

Playing 9 holes of golf and walking burns 720 calories (doesn't really matter if you use a pull cart or carry your bag the difference it marginal). It's a great way to burn off fat and I've been walking all year as well. I walked 18 two Sunday's ago.

The last time I walk a course was unintentional. We were playing late one evening and got the cart buried in mud on a rain soaked fairway. The club house had closed and no one answered our calls plus it was getting dark fast so we left the cart and walked back from the far side of the course.
We did leave a note :)
When I was in my 20's I always walked but I doubt I could go 9 holes on foot now a days.

The weather has been fantastic (suncreme weather) recently. I have played 5 rounds over the last week and have went to the driving range twice, im still dogshit but i'm having a great time and my game is starting to come back a bit, I has puts for par on the first two holes yesterday. Even aside from enjoying the golf, its been terrific exercise.

I actually ended up coming home from the range today with a 'new' set of irons from the giant store at the range.

33575132_2070370586549003_2516863956581089280_n.jpg

My current (daft) Nike iron set only had a proper 8, 9, p and sw. The 3,4,5,6 and 7 irons were all replaced with hybrids. There is no point learning how to play golf again but not being used to hit an iron. These are a quality set of clubs that should help me get back into the game and they will still be good clubs as I begin to improve again. I could trade in or sell my old irons but my partner is talking about learning to play golf and I might just keep them and give them to her, I wont be able to find a set for her for the £80 or so I would get for selling them.

These clubs are a few years old, I think they came out in 2010 and the store reckons these would have been bought a year or two later, but they were a top line (and expensive) club in their day and still hold up really well. These are used but in very good condition and all of the grips are in good condition. I got them for a good price - well under £200.

They also had a set of TaylorMade 2.0 burner irons for exactly the same price, I took a 7 and 5 from both sets to the range and hit about 30 balls with each. I preferred the feel of the R9's and went for that, the store said I can take them out on the course for a couple of weeks and if I have any doubts I can swap them for the other set.

I have always loved Ping Irons, but the 2nd hand options were either quite outdated or literally last years model and still well over £500. I spent about £150 and came away with a set I am very pleased with.

I now have Irons and a putter that I really like. I have a very old TaylorMade 3-wood that I have had since I was about 14, but I love that club and can hit it long and straight, I don't want to replace it. I am not interested in spending money on a driver anytime soon.

I just bought this O-works putter and so far I love it. It's ****in' pricey at $200 but that's what I paid for my Bettinardi back in the day..........for years my putter was the most expensive club in my bag.............in fact I think it still is today lol. I bought my irons used for $200 total., 3-wood $100 and 3-hybrid $96............I just looked the Driver new was $220. **** I must have gotten a raise that's $800 on clubs in three years!!!!!!!!!!!! **** me that's absurd.

I very nearly went home with the Odyssey #7, it was really similar in style to the TaylorMade one I ended up taking. This year black version of the Odssey line are very expensive, but the previous 'white hot' model which is basically the same club in a different colour are very similar.

This is the Odyssey I have
View attachment 12357

Yea, this is the one I nearly took

I’ve been playing a couple times a week for the last 2 months. I “lost” my swing, so I took a couple lessons and he totally changed my swing, for the better.. I haven’t posted, because it’s been awful lately, but the pro did tell me, “it’s gonna get worse before it gets better”.. Well today it finally really kicked in and I felt comfortable with the new swing! Here’s hoping for a good year with some good stories and scores!!
Playing again tomoro, so I’m excited to see the progress with the new swing.

This is awesome danny, keep us posted! I have totally lost my swing, when I played before I think my handicap was in the teens, I would be lucky to play off 40 now. Im going to play for another month or so just to get a feel for the game and then look into a few lessons with a pro - though at about £30 for half an hour? Not cheap!

I walked 18 yesterday, 18 Tuesday, 9 on Sunday and 9 last Thursday - lots of exercise! I wouldn't carry a bag if you paid me though :p I have a 4 wheel trolley (not battery though) and I could never go back to carrying a bag!

A lot of courses around here charge £800-1000 per year, often with a significant (as in thousands) joining fee. There is a course I have heard great reviews for since I moved here, it is only 9 (high quality) holes but has 18 tee boxes so it plays differently on the back 9. My uncle and a few other people have been adamant that I should join this course, but I stayed away it for my first few rounds. Finally took the plunge today - they have a lower rate for under-30's and it will cost me £300 for a years membership (plus some extra fees for a locker, insurance and Golf Union of Ireland fees) which is actually more than my gym membership costs over 12 months....

The 'director of golf' (cool title!) gave me a tour of the whole course on a buggy today and I was really impressed. He has invited me to play a complimentary round tomorrow and if that goes well I fully intend to sign up as a member. Id probably rather play a couple more rounds, but I have heard top reviews of this course for months and the green fees that I have been paying recently have already cost me £50 - thats nearly 1/4 of a years membership!

Last edited:
Damn, I’m really working on firing my hips in the downswing.. I’m all god damn arms, not getting any distance or power!! Working on the timing tho. It’s coming

im following your example and heading for lessons over the next few weeks. Bloody expensive but I found one localish option that is semi-affordable for a full hour. Will probably book one (maybe two) lesson per month for the next 6 months or so.

Bit embaressed to be honest (not to be taking lessons, even pros get lessons) I have to turn up and say 'I forgot how to play golf' and go through all the basics from grips to swing.

Think I will basically need a whole new swing. I do hit some really nice shots, but im also hitting some miles off target. Sometimes my backswing can literally be shaky and at times im certain the face of the club is shifting throughout my swing.

I have been trying to reteach myself based on half remembered leseons from my dad 15 years ago.

On the bright side, I absolutely loved the course I was advised to join. I submitted my paperwork on friday and (I decided to pay the fees over 8 months instead of upfront) had my finance approved. So I should be a full member within a week or two

20180525_100355.jpg

20180525_094138.jpg

Last edited:
im following your example and heading for lessons over the next few weeks. Bloody expensive but I found one localish option that is semi-affordable for a full hour. Will probably book one (maybe two) lesson per month for the next 6 months or so.

Bit embaressed to be honest (not to be taking lessons, even pros get lessons) I have to turn up and say 'I forgot how to play golf' and go through all the basics from grips to swing.

Think I will basically need a whole new swing. I do hit some really nice shots, but im also hitting some miles off target. Sometimes my backswing can literally be shaky and at times im certain the face of the club is shifting throughout my swing.

I have been trying to reteach myself based on half remembered leseons from my dad 15 years ago.

On the bright side, I absolutely loved the course I was advised to join. I submitted my paperwork on friday and (I decided to pay the fees over 8 months instead of upfront) had my finance approved. So I should be a full member within a week or two

View attachment 12405

View attachment 12407
You absolutely won’t regret the lessons buddy!
Just stick with whatever they teach you. It’ll eventually click. Unfortunately it may get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better!!

Golf is a ****ing frustrating sport. I went to a driving range list night, hit 2 buckets of balls and I swear I didn't hit a single good shot. Probably the worst I have ever played in my life.

Last time I was on the course I had been pleased with how I played so this really frustrated me. I was so annoyed with how I played last night that I got up early today and played 9 holes before work. After hitting everything so awful the night before? I hit my drive off the first tee long and dead straight.... weird. Until I got stuck in the water on a the 6th and 7th holes I was satisfied with how I played. I didn't lose a single ball all day until I duffed a drive into the trees on the 9th
33941881_2072562132996515_4363841378673754112_n.jpg

Playing stableford with a handicap, I would have scored plenty of points on that opening round. I should have had better scores on the par 3's, but the sprinklers were still on on both greens, the green, like me was soaked. Pleased with how I played considering ive only been back at golf for a few weeks.

I don't get it though, how did I play fine today after looking like I didn't know which end of the club to use at the driving range last night? Strange sport. Im getting my first lesson on Friday morning, I was so depressed last night that I almost cancelled it lol

Last edited:
I had my first lesson today, I am very glad I did it as I feel like I learned a lot and I also remembered a lot of things I used to know about golf but had forgotton - for example I need to turn more after hitting the ball.

I really liked the personality of the coach, which helped a lot. Knew what he was talking about, but was laidback and not very formal or serious.

Golf has got very high tech! When I got lessons from the course pro when I was a teenager it was a bag of balls on the practice ground. Today it was all recorded on camera, machines measured the exact angle the club hits the ball at, how many miles per hour your backswing is etc. It was intimidating but very helpful.

It turns out the biggest issue with me swing is that I open the clubface during my backswing. Im working on a change to the start my backswing and he has slightly changed my grip.

I am going for another lesson on the 15th, I might try to do 2 per month

Last edited:
I had my first lesson today, I am very glad I did it as I feel like I learned a lot and I also remembered a lot of things I used to know about golf but had forgotton - for example I need to turn more after hitting the ball.

I really liked the personality of the coach, which helped a lot. Knew what he was talking about, but was laidback and not very formal or serious.

Golf has got very high tech! When I got lessons from the course pro when I was a teenager it was a bag of balls on the practice ground. Today it was all recorded on camera, machines measured the exact angle the club hits the ball at, how many miles per hour your backswing is etc. It was intimidating but very helpful.

It turns out the biggest issue with me swing is that I open the clubface during my backswing. Im working on a change to the start my backswing and he has slightly changed my grip.

I am going for another lesson on the 15th, I might try to do 2 per month
Glad you like your instructor UK..
Very important to connect with him and like his teaching style. Stick with what he tells ya, and it’ll all start clicking.

Just came home from a vacation/wedding down in Mexico. Played a really nice course one of the days and played it pretty well.
Now that I’m home, I’ve gotta keep it going!

Glad you like your instructor UK..
Very important to connect with him and like his teaching style. Stick with what he tells ya, and it’ll all start clicking.

Yea I think its important. He changed my grip, not to what it used to be when I played regularly but to something very different. I have been hitting my irons well with the new grip, but the driver and 3 wood has been a total disaster - a week ago I was hitting my 3 wood much better than I am now. I gave up today and started hitting a hybrid off the tee... much shorter but straight

Just came home from a vacation/wedding down in Mexico. Played a really nice course one of the days and played it pretty well.
Now that I’m home, I’ve gotta keep it going!
Sound great, but very very warm! I melt in the heat lol

My regular golf partner is in Alaska on vacation with his family but I got the jones and played 9 this evening at the Oakview course. Since I had to hurry I played the black tees and shot a +2 38.
3 boogies , 1 birdie and the rest pars.
One mulligan on the first drive , 3 do overs where the ball travel less than 20 yards. No penalty for lost ball in the woods just a free drop. Lots of give me's within 3 feet of the flag.
I had fun. Can't pull this stuff when you play with others. A couple of those boogies would have been a lot worse on a regular day but It still felt good to score low :p

I left the score card to impress whom ever had that cart next :cool

Hey @uk_dolfan I ran in to a couple from England lost trying to find the hidden 10th hole. Very pleasant and if I had more time I would have played another 9 with them there's just one question I have for you.
How to you think they knew I had an uncle named Bob ?

:)

Back
Top Bottom