***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread*** | Page 767 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an outsider 2 things I expect Cristobal to do for the Canes.

1) Improve the talent level. Cristobal is a great recruiter. They will probably become the most talented Hurricane teams since Randy Shannon was your coach... who was also a great recruiter but not a good coach.

2) Make the Canes a great running team. Team is gonna be tough in the trenches.

Is he worth the money he got? Probably not. Cristobal's teams in Oregon were good for 1 to 2 awful games against lesser opponents a year while doing good against top teams. And of course many feel his offensive system can hold talent back. But I see no reason why he cannot make the Canes a consistent 8 to 10 win team
You're a great Dolphins poster, but seriously bro, you think Mario Cristobal got 8M a season and AND 8M for his staff to only win 1more game a year? Ya may wanna stick to your college team after that analysis 😆.

We have been a 7 win team for the past 4 years. 7-5 or 6-6, they are not paying that coin for 1 or 2 more wins. Also, who else is in the ACC that can compete with an all star recruiter in the prime recruiting area? Clemson and UNC right now, that's it. Clemson is in the other division, we barely play eachother during the season, except last 2 seasons.

You're a great Dolphins poster, but seriously bro, you think Mario Cristobal got 8M a season and AND 8M for his staff to only win 1more game a year? Ya may wanna stick to your college team after that analysis 😆.

We have been a 7 win team for the past 4 years. 7-5 or 6-6, they are not paying that coin for 1 or 2 more wins. Also, who else is in the ACC that can compete with an all star recruiter in the prime recruiting area? Clemson and UNC right now, that's it. Clemson is in the other division, we barely play eachother during the season, except last 2 seasons.

I know what type if coach Cristobal is. I also have watched Cane fans here get hyped up for over 20 years as a poster.

Not saying it's a bad hire at all and think he will have the Canes competing for the ACC but I also dont think he's worth that salary

I know what type if coach Cristobal is. I also have watched Cane fans here get hyped up for over 20 years as a poster.

Not saying it's a bad hire at all and think he will have the Canes competing for the ACC but I also dont think he's worth that salary

No one is worth what they are paying for coaches now ... maybe Saban

The point was Miami had to over pay to make sure they got their guy and they did.

That's new for us who would have settled in the past. The fact they showed money was not an obstacle anymore was just as important as who we got as coach

They over paid for the AD from Clemson as well almost doubling his salary

Either you complete with the high rollers or you don't. We finally decided we are in.

Mario Cristobal is a awesome hire for you guys.....Now,tho...putting more money into the facilities and maybe a new on campus/or near campus stadium...you'll get back to elite quicker.
Great hire,tho...

To be honest, no head coach at the college level is worth that type of money. I have always felt that no head coach in football or basketball should be paid anymore than the highest paid employee at the college they are coaching at.

Unfortunately the boosters at the colleges are the reason the salaries have risen so much. I would rather see the money the teams generate go back into the universities to provide a better education and reduce the cost of tuition for all students.

It actually obscene the amount of money these coaches are paid to coach a GAME. I love football but I get as much enjoyment watching my grandson play as I do the Hurricanes and the Dolphins. His parents actually pay for him to join the league he is in and the coaches are all unpaid volunteers.

The key is, and has always been, recruitment.

When Schnellenberger drew the line across South Florida and dictated that everything South of there was University of Miami's, he put the Hurricanes on the map. A ridiculous amount of NFL talent comes from there, Texas and Southern Cal for a reason. Once Miami reclaims that recruitment area (which, for better or worse, should be immensely easier with sponsorships allowed), the battle is mostly won.

This may not be the most popular opinion, but Jimmy was not a particularly good game day coach. He was an extraordinary talent evaluator (until he came to the Dolphins, of course.)

When Schnellenberger drew the line across South Florida and dictated that everything South of there was University of Miami's, he put the Hurricanes on the map. A ridiculous amount of NFL talent comes from there, Texas and Southern Cal for a reason. Once Miami reclaims that recruitment area (which, for better or worse, should be immensely easier with sponsorships allowed), the battle is mostly won.

This may not be the most popular opinion, but Jimmy was not a particularly good game day coach. He was an extraordinary talent evaluator (until he came to the Dolphins, of course.)
Johnson was excellent when it came to drafting defensive talent. He was responsible for drafting Darryl Gardner, Patrick Surtain,
Sam Madison, Jason Taylor, and Zach Thomas. These were all quality starters for the Dolphins for several years.

The issue with Johnson was he was never able to draft quality starters on the offensive side of the ball. Once he decided to retire, he left Wannstedt a solid defense to work with but with Marino retiring after Johnson’s final year, the Dolphins weren’t able to find a top tier QB to replace him.

Ricky Williams was effective for a few years with the Dolphins but he just seemed to lose interest in playing football after one great season with the Dolphins.

Jimmy was a moron offensively and it showed once he became the reason for the Shula curse. With the Canes and Cowboys he brought his offensive coaches, to Miami he could not. That Marino handcuffing late 90's was awful and atrocious and he deserves ridicule for it as well as his incredible career achievements. He is the example for team builder. He was a legend, and his defensive talent he amassed for us were legendary for us to salute and root for.

Dropped a lot of big games in the 80s…State Penn and 88 Notre Lame (that was stolen though), to name a few.

To be honest, no head coach at the college level is worth that type of money. I have always felt that no head coach in football or basketball should be paid anymore than the highest paid employee at the college they are coaching at.

Unfortunately the boosters at the colleges are the reason the salaries have risen so much. I would rather see the money the teams generate go back into the universities to provide a better education and reduce the cost of tuition for all students.

It actually obscene the amount of money these coaches are paid to coach a GAME. I love football but I get as much enjoyment watching my grandson play as I do the Hurricanes and the Dolphins. His parents actually pay for him to join the league he is in and the coaches are all unpaid volunteers.

I was ready to disagree with this from the start, but in all honesty after reading I can't say I find fault with anything you said here.

I do think there are other ways to look at it, but you do make valid points.

Man...does anyone else feel like we should start a new thread for a new era? I mean...I know this thread has been around forever, but that's the point....it was started in our years of hellish decline.

Maybe it's dumb but I personally would love to throw this thread out with the bathwater for the new year.

I mean hell the first post is "Kyle or Kirby". Well...as we know now, neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom