*Official NHL Offseason Thread* | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NHL Offseason Thread*

Slappy8800 said:
he couldnt hit the side of a barn.....slap shot is weak....
fine just get it to the net and control the play. That'd be a start. OUr PPL was 16.9% and thats not a good thing.

Boik14 said:
They put a team in atl thinking that because its the largest city in the SE US they had to have one there instead of a city like winnipeg or quebec where they would actually draw fans. In other words they went in and planned by market size and in theory it works if enough people learn to love the sport. But atlanta isnt like putting a team in dallas because texans are a lot more sports crazed from my impression. In the SE US its mostly football that matters most to many from personal experience.

In the end I totally agree with you. But thats the reason he did it. Its kinda the same way the nfl is so obsessed about getting a team in LA because of the size of the LA market.

Outside of Buffalo and Detroit I think their aren't cities in the USA that are really diehard hockey cities. For instance the Sabres sold out their playoff games in like twenty minutes while I could pull up game 7 ECF tickets in Carolina the morning of the game. In defense of the other USA teams Buffalo and Ottawa were bankrupt a few years ago I believe. I think Bettmen wanted to see a Buffalo/Edmonton finals because the teams have diehard fans in hockey cities. The Sabres were getting ratings compareable to the SB in the Buffalo market for some playoff games. I do believe some teams should be relocated to Canada; although I think their is a better chance that teams are eliminated than moved.

let us not forget that when a team is bad the arena will be empty. once the team makes the playoffs, which i think ATL will do this year, the seats will fill.

djfresh47 said:
Outside of Buffalo and Detroit I think their aren't cities in the USA that are really diehard hockey cities. For instance the Sabres sold out their playoff games in like twenty minutes while I could pull up game 7 ECF tickets in Carolina the morning of the game. In defense of the other USA teams Buffalo and Ottawa were bankrupt a few years ago I believe. I think Bettmen wanted to see a Buffalo/Edmonton finals because the teams have diehard fans in hockey cities. The Sabres were getting ratings compareable to the SB in the Buffalo market for some playoff games. I do believe some teams should be relocated to Canada; although I think their is a better chance that teams are eliminated than moved.
See I agree with that up to the point where you mention eliminating teams. That wont happen. There's still money to be made in smaller more hockey-interested markets. But they cant eliminate because then the cap would have to be adjusted, likely decreased. Even if a few teams go to smaller markets the cap will get adjusted relative to the ability of the potential earnings to be made in those smaller markets.

Slappy8800 said:
he couldnt hit the side of a barn.....slap shot is weak....
Just found this on espn.com and thought it may be of interest.

Last season, the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Poti -- who isn't a strong, physical presence on the ice -- had three goals and 20 assists in 73 games. He ranked first on the Rangers with 123 blocked shots and was tops among defensemen with 122 shots on goal. Not bad for a guy who cant hit the broad side of a barn :)

Slappy8800 said:
let us not forget that when a team is bad the arena will be empty. once the team makes the playoffs, which i think ATL will do this year, the seats will fill.

I wanna agree because I love hockey and would be a fan regardless but I don't think some cities will ever embrace hockey. Their good markets just not for hockey.

Leafs talking to Peca

The newest Toronto-area player to seek a job with the Maple Leafs could have the best chance of sticking.
A National Hockey League source says the Maple Leafs are in talks with free agent Mike Peca, a deal that would put him on the same team with one-time arch-enemy Darcy Tucker.

"(The Leafs) are trying to make something work, not only with money, but with the look of the team," the source said.
Peca made $3.99 million US last season with Edmonton versus $4 million to $5 million believed to be remaining in Leaf general manager John Ferguson's budget. Peca told the FAN 590 earlier yesterday that "it would be a dream come true" to play for the hometown Leafs.

It appears Gary Roberts won't be coming back, at least via trade, while Anson Carter's asking price is believed to be too high. Recent Leafs Eric Lindros and Jason Allison want to return, but it will have to be at cheaper prices than they played at last season.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2006/07/07/1672980-sun.html

Slappy8800 said:

Considering Atlanta had, and lost a team once and add in Atlanta's legendary for their support of playoff teams I didn't see a point ot them even getting a team to being with...

unifiedtheory said:
Considering Atlanta had, and lost a team once and add in Atlanta's legendary for their support of playoff teams I didn't see a point ot them even getting a team to being with...

then why should quebec or Winnipeg?

djfresh47 said:
Outside of Buffalo and Detroit I think their aren't cities in the USA that are really diehard hockey cities.

I have to disagree here.

Boston is a huge hockey city, it's not the fans fault that Jeremy Jacobs is a terrible owner. He has driven away lots of Bruins fans in this area with his refusal to put a good product on the ice. As for the passion in this area when it comes to hockey, look at the collegiate hockey scene. The Beanpot is a huge draw with so many good programs in and around Boston.

And Minnesota is crazy about their hockey. Look at the Golden Gophers.....

Back
Top Bottom