Official Red Sox '05 thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Red Sox '05 thread

Clark Kent

Man of Steel
Reaction score
I know we have a few fans here at least. Basically taking the "who's your favorite team" thread, and making a Red sox one (since that's pretty much all that page was).

Here's a continuation of the end of that thread.

Hostile7 said:
After watching Pedro, it really made me question why we didn't offer him more guaranteed years. I know he's 33, but he still has years left (and can be a great closer in 2-3 years) He was a fun player, and the greatest in RS history. It wouldn't shock me if was the NL Cy Young winner.

Schilling- One of the best in baseball, period.
Clement- When on, he's nasty. Jekyll and Hyde at times.
Wells- What you see is what you get.
Arroyo- Wild card. Hopefully he keeps getting better
Miller- Nasty when healthy, another wild card.

I'm concerned because the Yankee's staff is sick. I think we're close to equal, but in the playoffs they're going to have a sick rotation. I think we need one more pitcher... Ben Sheets? ;)

Three games and I'm already thinking trade deadline. I'm a sick man.:lol:

EDIT: Listen to this ****... I had Wilkerson on my fantasy baseball team, and I took him out and put someone in (was it D. Young?) his place. ******* hits for the cycle... awful.

I would agree with all your points except when it comes to Pedro. The Red Sox absolutely made the right decision to not give him that many years. He is still a great pitcher, but he won't be by the time his contract with the Mets expires.

Also, I seriously doubt he will ever be a great closer. This Pedro now that we have all seen for a couple years who is not overpowering ALWAYS struggles in the first couple of innings. You can beat this Pedro, just got to get to him early (ala Adam Dunn on Monday). That's something that the Cardinals didn't do in the World Series. They had chances (Suppan's brain fart, Walker getting thrown out at the plate) but if you let Pedro settle in he's still as nasty as ever. So IMO he would never be a good closer. Typical Pedro... gets hit hard early on, then settles down.

Next up boys. We roll into Toronto, take care of business north of the border. Then back to Fenway, to congratulate the World Champions one more time.:)

With the Yankees in town no less.. :evil:

Go Sox!

FaninPatsyLand said:
I would agree with all your points except when it comes to Pedro. The Red Sox absolutely made the right decision to not give him that many years. He is still a great pitcher, but he won't be by the time his contract with the Mets expires.

Also, I seriously doubt he will ever be a great closer. This Pedro now that we have all seen for a couple years who is not overpowering ALWAYS struggles in the first couple of innings. You can beat this Pedro, just got to get to him early (ala Adam Dunn on Monday). That's something that the Cardinals didn't do in the World Series. They had chances (Suppan's brain fart, Walker getting thrown out at the plate) but if you let Pedro settle in he's still as nasty as ever. So IMO he would never be a good closer. Typical Pedro... gets hit hard early on, then settles down.

True, but people have always questioned his warm up. Knowing you have one inning to pitch, that's an advantage we haven't seen w/Pedro. We'll have to agree to disagee, and we'll never know either way :lol:.

What's the Jays record? 2-1 or 3-0? I didn't watched BB tonight. Hopefully Bronson starts his season off well.

Hostile7 said:
True, but people have always questioned his warm up. Knowing you have one inning to pitch, that's an advantage we haven't seen w/Pedro. We'll have to agree to disagee, and we'll never know either way :lol:.

What's the Jays record? 2-1 or 3-0? I didn't watched BB tonight. Hopefully Bronson starts his season off well.

Good point, I never thought of it that way. Knowing you only have 1 inning to show up could be an advantage.

The Jays are 2-1, lost to Tampa today. I hope Bronson shows up as well. We need our backend of the rotation to keep us afloat till Curt and Wade get back.

Get off Pedro's back.LOL He just told the Red Sox yesterday to keep his World Series ring, he doesn't want it.

Something is seriously wrong with that guy in the head!

Mike, just curious do you know who has 1 year deals this year (pitchers)? I was reading your reply in the other thread, and I agree. A lot of question marks on the rotation.

Hostile7 said:
Mike, just curious do you know who has 1 year deals this year (pitchers)? I was reading your reply in the other thread, and I agree. A lot of question marks on the rotation.

I think Wells might have a 1 year deal. But Im not 100% sure. I think Miller and Clement got multi-year deals. But Im not 100% on this so, verify it.

MikeO said:
I think Wells might have a 1 year deal. But Im not 100% sure. I think Miller and Clement got multi-year deals. But Im not 100% on this so, verify it.

I think wells got two. I was thinking all of the MLB. Thinking of people of who will be available in july.

Hostile7 said:
I think wells got two. I was thinking all of the MLB. Thinking of people of who will be available in july.

Contracts don't play as big a part in the MLB trade deadline as it does say in the NBA.

Look at teams who are old, are just flat out terrible, or want to cut payroll.

A guy like Sheets won't be available because the Brewers are young and an up and coming team with youth, and he is the only star really so they can pay him and still stay under budget. Maybe a team like Toronto would move a Ted Lilly if they are way out of it. That is just one name that pops to mind. Maybe the A's would move Barry Zito if they are way out of it, depends if they want totally blow it up or not. Just another name. I really haven't put much thought into this. But like I said, if Miller comes back and if Arroyo is legit........Boston probably won't trade for a pitcher.

Hostile7 said:

You are correct sir. Wells did in fact get a two year deal.

MikeO said:
Contracts don't play as big a part in the MLB trade deadline as it does say in the NBA.

Look at teams who are old, are just flat out terrible, or want to cut payroll.

A guy like Sheets won't be available because the Brewers are young and an up and coming team with youth, and he is the only star really so they can pay him and still stay under budget. Maybe a team like Toronto would move a Ted Lilly if they are way out of it. That is just one name that pops to mind. Maybe the A's would move Barry Zito if they are way out of it, depends if they want totally blow it up or not. Just another name. I really haven't put much thought into this. But like I said, if Miller comes back and if Arroyo is legit........Boston probably won't trade for a pitcher.

Sheets was sick last, and started off awesome this year. I doubt they can afford him and at least get something for him. Who knows, we'll see how the year goes.

Hostile7 said:
Sheets was sick last, and started off awesome this year. I doubt they can afford him and at least get something for him. Who knows, we'll see how the year goes.

The Brewers are in contract talks with him right now. He could have an extension within a week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2032321

For a guy who got his *** kicked, he sure seems upbeat. It's going to be a bit rocky at first, no one expected to easy. He says he's ready for the yanks. I have doubts, but he needs to face a great offense, IMO. If he does well, major confidence. If not, owell. Still early.

Hopefully our Ace returns to form.

Back
Top Bottom