• Netherlands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • United States

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it would have been good to have Donovans experience late in games. But at the same time I want to see what the youngins like Julian Green can do. Some of the selections are a bit iffy like Wondolowski which I don't get and Altidore is either on fire or his form is ****. But Klinsmann knows more than I do. Just would have liked to seen him make room for Donovan for one last world cup run.

I saw a clip from some guy on espn (might have been the guy running la when Beckham signed - lawless? Or something ) he was attacking the us for dropping Donovan as it could stop you winning the world cup

Now I know America is a proud and patriotic country.... but winning this world cup? Really? Lol

Donovan would struggle to make the top 100 players list in the world (even in good form). I think the bigger issue is, he does elevate his game on the World Cup stage and brings a proven playmaking ability to the national team that is not necessarily shown on the current roster.

Lukas Podolski is a guy who elevates his game on the national team level for the Germans, some guys just do that and I think Donovan is one of those guys. 5 goals in World Cup play is nothing to sneeze at for Landon. This is a 23 man roster, I can't be convinced that Donovan isn't a guy this team could use . . . whether starting or as a spark coming off the bench in the 2nd half.

But yea uk, the U.S. media can be quite funny though. If the United States make it out of their group that would one of the most impressive feats by any team in the World Cup (even if they bow out in the next round) . . . let alone win the whole thing. Klinsman is in a tough spot . . . whether he bows out in group play or loses in the final . . . anything but a win and he'll get criticized by unknowing media who are convinced that Donovan would of made the ultimate difference.

That's our sports media.

these are cool from espn http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-brazil-world-cup-posters-2014-5

brazil-1.jpg

england-1.jpg

france-1.jpg

italy-1.jpg

unitedstates-1.jpg

one for every country... and howard needs a damn shave

Didn't like the US one... the Brazil one is stunning though

This world cup is so much more enjoyable due to the fact that for the first time in a lifetime the UK media have decided that England should not be expected to win. They haven't had close to a good enough team to do it for years, but expectations and hype are always sky high. I might actually do the unthinkable and root for them this year due to the media being less annoying. We shall see.

They are in Miami now actually... I assume playing at Sunlife. Im no expert but I would assume that would actually be decent preparation for the weather in brazil.

Ze Germans

Goalies

1 - Manuel Neuer
12 - Ron-Robert Zieler
22 - Roman Weidenfeller

Defenders

2 - Kevin Großkreutz
3 - Matthias Ginter
4 - Benedikt Höwedes
5 - Mats Hummels
15 - Erik Durm
16 - Philipp Lahm (C)
17 - Per Mertesacker
20 - Jerome Boateng

Midfielders

6 - Sami Khedira
7 - Bastian Schweinsteiger
8 - Mesut Özil
14 - Julian Draxler
18 - Toni Kroos
19 - Mario Götze
21 - Marco Reus
23 - Christoph Kramer

Strikers

9 - André Schürrle
10 - Lukas Podolski
11 - Miroslav Klose
13 - Thomas Müller

Apparantly the English media are most confused that they have arrived in miami for warm weather training and its raining more than it ever does at home lol

Goalies

1 - Manuel Neuer
12 - Ron-Robert Zieler
22 - Roman Weidenfeller

Defenders

2 - Kevin Großkreutz
3 - Matthias Ginter
4 - Benedikt Höwedes
5 - Mats Hummels
15 - Erik Durm
16 - Philipp Lahm (C)
17 - Per Mertesacker
20 - Jerome Boateng

Midfielders

6 - Sami Khedira
8 - Mesut Özil
14 - Julian Draxler
18 - Toni Kroos
19 - Mario Götze
21 - Marco Reus
23 - Christoph Kramer

Strikers

9 - André Schürrle
10 - Lukas Podolski
11 - Miroslav Klose
13 - Thomas Müller

That's a powerhouse team right there. I admit to not following football much internationally - is Mario Gomez still out with his knee injury? When healthy, he's a monster, but he seems to have struggled with that the last few years.

That's a powerhouse team right there. I admit to not following football much internationally - is Mario Gomez still out with his knee injury? When healthy, he's a monster, but he seems to have struggled with that the last few years.

Gomez was on and off with his knee all year. he was left out because of that. rightfully so IMO. if he's not 100%, he doesn't help much.

the team is very imbalanced IMO. very good attacking midfielders and goalies and solid centre backs (who unfortunately dont play up to their potential). holding midfielder are deep and very good if everyone is healthy. right now, Schweinsteiger and Khedira aren't 100%. if Lahm gets moved to midfield, our full backs are a big concern. striker is a question mark. all in all, we have some holes, but so does everyone else. get healthy, get in shape and see what happens.

Ze Germans

Goalies

1 - Manuel Neuer
12 - Ron-Robert Zieler
22 - Roman Weidenfeller

Defenders

2 - Kevin Großkreutz
3 - Matthias Ginter
4 - Benedikt Höwedes
5 - Mats Hummels
15 - Erik Durm
16 - Philipp Lahm (C)
17 - Per Mertesacker
20 - Jerome Boateng

Midfielders

6 - Sami Khedira
8 - Mesut Özil
14 - Julian Draxler
18 - Toni Kroos
19 - Mario Götze
21 - Marco Reus
23 - Christoph Kramer

Strikers

9 - André Schürrle
10 - Lukas Podolski
11 - Miroslav Klose
13 - Thomas Müller

If I'm Germany, I start the old man up front. At least I know that guy can put balls in the back of the net, consistently, on the World Cup stage. Muller can as well, but sometimes that dude is so clumsy up front. Schurrle will plenty of opportunities as well, although I don't think he'll start. Podolski has a cannon and seems to elevate his game on this stage.

That midfield is ridiculous. Somebody will have to sit. You figure Ozil, Reus, Khedira and Schweinsteiger will start with Kroos as the more defensive midfielder backup and Gotze as the 2nd half offensive midfielder backup. I do realize Khedira and Schwein both have had injury concerns so that can all change but those are my expectations.

No chance Lahm floats to the midfield like he does with Bayern, too much midfield talent. Keep Lahm at right back. This group has several good strikers . . . the German defense needs to be up to task. One thing is for certain, the national team defense definitely gets an upgrade over the Bayern defense when you throw in Mertesacker and Hummels. Much more solid unit, but still a unit that you can expose.

Still, the Germans "should" win this group. The Nani/Ronaldo combo will probably give them the most fits.

germany team is scary as hell but id still take spains squad personally

What a country, Xavi etc get old so they just slot in Koke lol

If I'm Germany, I start the old man up front. At least I know that guy can put balls in the back of the net, consistently, on the World Cup stage. Muller can as well, but sometimes that dude is so clumsy up front. Schurrle will plenty of opportunities as well, although I don't think he'll start. Podolski has a cannon and seems to elevate his game on this stage.

That midfield is ridiculous. Somebody will have to sit. You figure Ozil, Reus, Khedira and Schweinsteiger will start with Kroos as the more defensive midfielder backup and Gotze as the 2nd half offensive midfielder backup. I do realize Khedira and Schwein both have had injury concerns so that can all change but those are my expectations.

No chance Lahm floats to the midfield like he does with Bayern, too much midfield talent. Keep Lahm at right back. This group has several good strikers . . . the German defense needs to be up to task. One thing is for certain, the national team defense definitely gets an upgrade over the Bayern defense when you throw in Mertesacker and Hummels. Much more solid unit, but still a unit that you can expose.

Still, the Germans "should" win this group. The Nani/Ronaldo combo will probably give them the most fits.

yeah, klose is experienced enough that you can just throw him in the starting formation. he needs to be healthy though. he's showing his age. Müller is clumsy, absolutely, but he knows where the goal is. he's scoring a lot of goals just being in the right spot. that's a true striker quality, which aside fom Klose, no one else on the team has. Müller can at least occasionally win a header, too. neither Götze nor Reus nor Schürle do that.

i fully expect Schweinsteiger and Khedira to play the "6". Özil and Götze will battle at the CAM spot. Kroos backs up all three central midfield positions and provides competition. young Kramer is depth. Ginter can play the position in a pinch, too. i hope Reus and Schürrle start on the wings. Podolski has a wicked shot. that's about it. good option off the bench. if he can elevate his game and legitimately wrestle a staring 11 spot from Schürrle or Reus, so be it. Draxler is young and technically gifted, but very VERY inconsistent. this World Cup will be a learning experience for him.

defense is a ****ing riddle at this point. Hummels, Merte and Boateng appear to be the three centre backs fighting for two spots, although Boateng could play RB or even LB if need be. especially if Lahm does play CDM. i have no idea what our clueless coach is up to as far as Lahm is concerned. i'd prefer him to play RB in a 4-2-3-1 system. LB is a fiasco. Durm is young and inexperienced, although talented. Großkreutz is the biggest idiot you'll ever see, but at least he played decently for Dortmund over the last few season, albeit mostly as a midfielder. he does have some experience at LB and RB, and played some Champions League there, too. Höwedes is strictly depth IMO.

i hope our depthchart looks something like this:

----------------------------------------Neuer----------------------------------------
------------------------------------Weidenfeller-------------------------------------
----------------------------------------Zieler-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---Lahm-----------Boateng---------------------Hummels--------Großkreutz------
--Höwedes---------Ginter---------------------Mertesacker----------Durm--------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------Schweinsteiger-------------------Khedira--------------------------
--------------------Kroos--------------------------Kramer--------------------------
---Schürrle---------------------------Götze---------------------------Reus--------
----Draxler----------------------------Özil---------------------------Podolski------
----------------------------------------Müller----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------Klose----------------------------------------

of course Löw will do something stupid and the team will look completely different. i don't see him ditching Özil, as he's immensely talented, but completely useless in important games. Podolski is another one of his favourites, as is Klose. so, he's probably going to start those three guys regardless of form, whereas much better players will be on the bench in their stead. Klose and Podolski have the uncanny ability to come off the bench and be right in the middle of things immediately. perfect options from the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
germany team is scary as hell but id still take spains squad personally

What a country, Xavi etc get old so they just slot in Koke lol

yeah, kinda unfair when you think about it lol
cheers to you, when you can leave players like Navas, Llorente or Negredo at home

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom