**Official World Cup 2014 Thread** | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official World Cup 2014 Thread**

Who will win the 2014 World Cup?

• Brazil

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Argentina

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Germany

• Spain

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Uruguay

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Colombia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

• Italy

• England

• Netherlands

• United States

• Other (explain below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought the Dutch played with some quality in this third place game, which was good to see.

Brazil is a train wreck though.

The ref was a mess too.

Still one game to go, but Arjen Robben is probably the MVP of this world cup for me. I know the James kid out of Columbia, Mueller from Germany and Messi will all be popular choices . . . but Robben's pace and ability to create something has been absolutely a pleasure to watch in this tournament.

The ref was horrible in giving Holland 2 goals. If this were the final, there would have been a HUGE uproar but, the 3rd place game just does not matter. IMO, it is the worst match in the entire World Cup, totally meaningless.

The ref was horrible in giving Holland 2 goals. If this were the final, there would have been a HUGE uproar but, the 3rd place game just does not matter. IMO, it is the worst match in the entire World Cup, totally meaningless.

Yea that first call was a complete botch job . . . sure it was a penalty outside of the box (barely) but that was a red card on Thiago Silva (clearly) . . . so in the end I think Brazil would easily take the PK + yellow card (full squad) over a direct kick at the top of the box + red card (play with 10 men for almost 90 minutes).

The yellow card for flopping on Oscar was the worst call though.

Yea that first call was a complete botch job . . . sure it was a penalty outside of the box (barely) but that was a red card on Thiago Silva (clearly) . . . so in the end I think Brazil would easily take the PK + yellow card (full squad) over a direct kick at the top of the box + red card (play with 10 men for almost 90 minutes).

The yellow card for flopping on Oscar was the worst call though.

That, and the off sides was clear on the 2nd goal.

I've seen where Brazil HAS OVER 25,000 police and military for security on this match, with 100,000 fans from Argentina being there. Hope the post game is not more news worthy than the match.

Some compare this match to SA vs the Heat, with Germany the better team, and Argentina with the Superstar. I'm going with Germany 2-1.

434851_hp-1.jpg

:chuckle: thank god we got him signed before the tournament, his stock is much higher now

Congrats Germany, great tournament and great game today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Congratulations to the German National team. It was a hard fought game, both teams game it their all and the best team that day was Germany. I am proud of my Argentine boys.....head held high

So glad it didn't find penalties. Once Argentina edged Holland I was really worried the final would be 0-0 heading to the penalty spot.

This Argentina side isn't nearly as cynical as the depleted 1990 version that tried to mug Germany all night and reduce the outcome to penalties. But their style of play obviously was going to lend itself to backing off to the final third and then ruining all the clever German designs. It nearly worked, other than a handful of ridiculous misses. Even the Messi header after the German goal was right there for him.

I was unconvinced regarding Messi the entire tournament. Even if he's not scoring or assisting, the best player on the planet should be obvious to even a novice viewer all game long. That doesn't describe Messi at all. He's a little guy who runs around with his head down and too often takes time off and doesn't find the ball for long stretches. Ronaldo was injured and not close to his best but in this event but you could see the awesome skill set, the ability to do so many more things than Messi.

Too many men on the field. It remains that simple. This is now only 10 goals in the last 6 World Cup finals. And many of those are in extra time. Look for the trend to continue and there's no way to grow the game that way. What's the score at halftime? You can guess 0-0 once it reaches the knockout stage and it will take a fluke to be wrong. This version was fortunate in the group stage, and also in the overtimes, but with so much congestion there won't be goals.

It doesn't help that the finishers are terrible, and clueless. What is the attraction of aiming at the moon? As someone who cherishes probability, I never understand the soccer obsession with kicking the ball too high as opposed to too low. In this sport you are rewarded for topping it. Great things might happen, like a deflection off a leg. Nothing is going to deflect positively off the moon. That wall of players will often flinch and separate themselves when the ball approaches. Smart players on free kicks should act like the wall isn't even there. On Messi's final desperate free kick the one thing he couldn't afford was to sail it comically long. But naturally that was exactly what happened. Too much respect for the wall and into the 40th row. That's my final impression of Messi, other than picking up the undeserved best player award.

To be fair, Awsi, a low shot will often be deflected back the other way and allow for a counterattack. Not sure what the probabilities are, but I think I've seen more goals off high free kicks than low ones (even after accounting for goals off deflections, etc.), and more bad things (like counterattacks) happen off low kicks than high ones. But I do have to agree, Messi was not the best player in this tournament. As much as his diving sickens me, Robben was the most consistent offensive threat in the World Cup.

Arjen Robben, James Rodriguez, Thomas Mueller and you could probably throw in a few goalkeepers as well as more deserving "player of the tournament" choices over Messi. Messi could of been real special in this tournament, and at times he was, but ultimately he just wasn't a factor when it mattered most.

Congrats to the Germans, best team from the start and overcame the Europe on American soil hex. Well deserved. They will be loaded again in 2 years for the Euros and 4 years in Russia.

Back
Top Bottom