Offseason Observations from PHINS.com | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason Observations from PHINS.com

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Quietly, second year safety Chris Clemons is convincing the Dolphin brass he is the solution to the team’s free safety concerns. As a rookie, he showed us his speed and nose for the football. He also showed us the tentative play that most rookies suffer from. It’s very early, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him thus far in the non-contact OTAs. Defensive back is one position where a guy CAN show his stuff to the level necessary for coaches to start drawing some hard conclusions. Said coach Tony Sparano, “I see speed, I see range. These two things have showed up out here (in the OTAs). Speed, range, and he knows, he understands. He’s been pretty vocal and those are all qualities that your free safety has to have”. The next step? Tackling. “Probably the next part of this process when we get into some of these—in the training camp with the pads on and the preseason stuff to watch Chris making tackles”, continued Sparano. “Because, that guy has to be a good tackler back there. So, that’s the next step…the range, the speed, the mental awareness right now and where he is with our defense is what leads me to believe that the guy can be a good player for us.”

Read More...
http://www.phins.com/chris/column_062410.html

If Clemons can create some turnovers that would go a long way to the Dolphins making the playoffs. Miami went from getting 30 turnovers for a +17 differential in 2008 to only getting 21 turnovers last year with -8 differential. That is a -25 in turnover differential from going 11-5 to 7-9.

Back
Top Bottom