“Offset” language could be an issue for top eight contracts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“Offset” language could be an issue for top eight contracts

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Teams now want to include so-called “offset” language.

Here’s how it works. If a player has a guaranteed salary of $1 million with offset language and he’s released and signs with a new team for a base salary of $1 million, the first team is off the hook. With no offset language, the player gets $1 million from the first team and $1 million from the new team.

In other words, he gets to double dip.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/03/offset-language-could-be-an-issue-for-top-eight-contracts/

Interersting...

**** double-dipping!

If the guy gets picked up, he should be happy he still gets to play - & be paid quite well for the privilege.

Considering Locker was the #8 pick last year, shouldn't be too hard for us to get him signed. Add a few million and call it a day.

I could take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed if you want me to, I've got the time.

Seriously, if it's a guaranteed contract, what's the question? Are they just guaranteeing that the guy will make said money that year, even if someone else writes the check?

I always look for motivation when looking at rules. Rules should never be set up to leave room to encourage players or owners to abuse them. Lets layout a hypothetical. Lets say Andrew Luck was a big 49ers fan. He knew he couldn't get drafted that low, but wanted to find a way to become a 9er. So he contacts someone in the 9ers organization and says he wants to play for them and has a plan. He lays an egg on the field and agrees to look like a bust for the first two years and then the 9ers agree to trade for him. They could get out for paying less than what he is worth while the colts still have to pay his full salary. It would be a win/win for the 9ers and Luck to screw over the team that drafted him. Now I know that is probably a bad example but there are many ways a team and player could circumvent the system if the double dip theory stays in place. JMO

I always look for motivation when looking at rules. Rules should never be set up to leave room to encourage players or owners to abuse them. Lets layout a hypothetical. Lets say Andrew Luck was a big 49ers fan. He knew he couldn't get drafted that low, but wanted to find a way to become a 9er. So he contacts someone in the 9ers organization and says he wants to play for them and has a plan. He lays an egg on the field and agrees to look like a bust for the first two years and then the 9ers agree to trade for him. They could get out for paying less than what he is worth while the colts still have to pay his full salary. It would be a win/win for the 9ers and Luck to screw over the team that drafted him. Now I know that is probably a bad example but there are many ways a team and player could circumvent the system if the double dip theory stays in place. JMO

The "double dip" theory has been in place for over 10 years and somehow someway this absolutely ludicrous theory you've brought up hasn't come to light because it's absolutely silly. These are ATHLETES. They have competitive natures. They won't just lay an egg in HOPES that a team they are COLLUDING with will sign them once they are cut. I mean, my goodness. Just stop and think about how insanely ridiculous this is.

Back
Top Bottom