Ogbah’s Injury and the Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogbah’s Injury and the Defense

Marino2.0

Club Member
Reaction score
Obviously, losing Ogbah is a bad thing. But he didn’t really fit our defense anymore. Boyer is running almost exclusively a 4-2-5 this season, and Ogbah isn’t a great fit in that system because he doesn’t put enough pressure on the QB to be one of just two edge rushers (nor is he a great interior pass rusher).

Ogbah is much more suited to be a 3-4 DE, but we haven't been playing much 3-4 because we want to find ways to get Wilkins, Sieler, and Raekwon on the field and because Phillips and Ingram aren’t true OLBs—we don’t want them in coverage.

As a result, I think our front 7 looks fine—maybe even better—without Ogbah.

At DT, we can run a three-man rotation of Wilkins, Sieler, and Davis for two slots.

At edge, we can run a 4-man rotation of Chubb, Phillips, Ingram, and Van Ginkel for two slots.

And at LB, we can play a three-man rotation of Baker, Roberts, and Riley for two slots. Lately we’ve also been mixing in some Van Ginkel snaps on obvious passing downs where we go with only 1 true linebacker, which I love.

And then in the secondary, we play 5 guys virtually every snap. Howard, Kohou, and Holland are always three of them. Rowe gets most of the snaps as the 4th guy.

That 5th slot in the secondary is our biggest weakness (other than our crappy linebackers). Right now it’s getting divided up between McKinley, Bethel, Crossen, and Igbinoghene. Byron Jones would obviously be a much, much better option.

Some good points here. I hate it for Ogbah and hope he gets better for his own sake, but for football purposes not a huge loss, especially in this defense. And will say it again, though have said it numerous times already, can we please for the love of everything Holy, stop arm tackling and wrap up like men. Tad better against the Browns overall, but still not what it needs to be.

I see a lot of posts saying he's been playing hurt with a bad back(?) and that's why he's been nonexistent. Did he start the season with an injury? Did anyone tell him carrying several money sacks of $32million guaranteed is bad for his back, especially if he's not bending with his knees?

I see a lot of posts saying he's been playing hurt with a bad back(?) and that's why he's been nonexistent. Did he start the season with an injury? Did anyone tell him carrying several money sacks of $32million guaranteed is bad for his back, especially if he's not bending with his knees?
He got hurt in game 2 I believe w the back and he even missed a game somewhere in there. I think he had a sack in game 1 ?

He got hurt in game 2 I believe w the back and he even missed a game somewhere in there. I think he had a sack in game 1 ?
Thats probably when it happened he had a sack opening day and then that was it, weird cause I don’t recall him being on the injury reports

Ogbah is an obvious candidate to be cut after the season. Does anyone have his contract info ie what we will be hit with if he gets cut?

Ogbah is an obvious candidate to be cut after the season. Does anyone have his contract info ie what we will be hit with if he gets cut?
Not ready to through in the towel on him unless his back is a long term issue. This is a stand up dude that has played consistently good football for Dolphins since they got him.

I think next year the dead cap hit is pretty high so might need to be after the 2023 season

His injury complicates things, but more so in the off season. I believe we could've dumped a huge part of his 2024 guaranteed salary onto another team if we gave them our third round pick, had he been healthy and somewhat productive. A lot of bad defenses could've used him (and a draft pick). Something probably could've been worked out, with someone, had he not gotten hurt. Obviously he will be a 100% by next season but the injury will complicate moving him as compared to him having a solid season like last year.

I wasn't for re-signing Ogbah or Gesicki, problem is that we didn't know we'd get Tyreek and the team would be what it is right now.

In early March we were coming off an 8-1 finish and continuity was paramount. I get that and I was ok with both players be signed as to not create holes, even though I DEFINTELY wouldn't have brought either back at those figures.
I love draft picks as much as the next guy but we've officially entered the era where salary cap space is significantly more important to achieve our grand objectives.

Average players are no longer welcome on big contracts in Miami.

I mean we had posters on this site who thought we NEEDED to re-sign Mack Hollins. Stuff like that needs to stop.

I hope whatever he did well in the run game can be replicated by whoever will be getting his snaps.

Ogbah has been a great fit the last two years, so I'm not convinced that he suddenly doesn't fit. That said, he hasn't played well with injuries most likely a large part of that.

Also, I think Chubb is an upgrade making Ogbah's future with Miami a question. Not sure how the team gets out of the contract in a way that could benefit (or least hurt) the salary cap. Nobody is going to trade for him coming off an injury. There could be a creative way that includes dealing draft picks. We've seen those types of trades before.

Back
Top Bottom