Ogunleye to come back; Marion & Griese let go.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogunleye to come back; Marion & Griese let go....

texasPHINSfan

Pro Bowl
Reaction score
from fanball.com.....

Dolphins: Marion among cap casualties
The News

More than $10.5 million over the salary cap, the Dolphins severed ties with several significant players on Thursday and Friday, most notably Pro Bowl safety Brock Marion, linemen Mark Dixon and Tim Ruddy, wide receiver James McKnight, and backup quarterback Brian Griese. Miami is believed to have saved more than $20 million through these releases and the restructuring of linebacker Zach Thomas' contract.

Our View
The maneuvering may not be done either as cornerback Sam Madison and defensive end Jason Taylor need to alleviate these problems by restructuring their deals and nickel back Jamar Fletcher may join Marion and the others as a cap victim. This reduction in their cap number was essential, as the Dolphins need to find the financial wherewithal to sign their own free agents: defensive end Adewale Ogunleye and offensive tackle Todd Wade.

-------------------------------
I don't know if i necessarily agree with all those moves... but maybe the dolphins execs know something i don't.

i sure HOPE they know something i don't.

Yes to JT but i rather try to get a 3rd round pick for madison

I'd much rather keep Madison at a reduced rate...we arent gonna find anyone better then him to play in a straight man-to-man system. DBs get burnt like overdone toast in a system like this, unless they're surtain-level monsters. We'd b stupid to release Sam straight up if hes willing to re-structure (and hes said he is)

If we release Sam Madison, it wouldn't help us much this year cap-wise anyway. It would definetly in the future, but we should be thinking about Super Bowl NOW.

FinFan4Life is right though, if we lose Madison then we are either going to have to go into the season with Buckley starting or use more cap money on a FA/draft pick.

We cant get rid of Madison. We will not get anyone better and definately not for a third round pick. Thats insane

There is no third rounder that is going to come in and produce like Madison.

Originally posted by Kistner10
There is no third rounder that is going to come in and produce like Madison.

its not likely, but dont think it cant happen.

Madison isn't going anywhere. His agent has said he and Sam are willing to redo the contract, Sam wants to retire a Dolphin. The Dolphins have indicated this would work for them. Why does everyone want to get rid of Madison? Good luck finding a decent replacement with all the other holes on offense we need to fill.

its not a question of Madison's ability - just his ability to dollar ratio.... he is kind of like jay fiedler now (in that respect).... commands too high a $ compared to his skill.

if he will restructure to reasonable prices, then it would be worth keeping him.

i can't believe this thread has gotten nearly 500 views already!

he is several years into his contract and his agent said he knew up front that when it reached this stage (as far as salary escalation) that something would probably have to be done about it. Him and Sam both knew all along that it would have to be restructured if he ever stayed a Dolphin the length of his current contract. In the end, he'll do what needs to be done for him to stay a dolphin and still earn millions while giving us a couple mill of cap space to work with.

Back
Top Bottom