Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
I am trusting Saban. Really I am. But I think I am curious about fans thoughts on the following:

1. Ronnie Brown-Considered by most the best back in the draft. Great pick.

2. Roth-We aquired Carter and Holiday. We have Chester, Bowens, Taylor and other Bowens. Roth can join the rotation, but there were some real offensive line help there. There is no denying that we need help on OLine so did we miss the chance to solve a problem?

3. Crowder-Potentially great LB. But we have Thomas, Seau, Pope, Moore Ayanbejado, and Bua. Was this our biggest need?

We had one of the better defenses in the league. The only problem we had last year was against the run, which was understandable with injuries to Bowens and Chester. The year prior when they were healthy we ranked 3rd against the run.

But what about the offense?? Brown will be an impact. But even he needs blocking. We defintely need another WR. It just feels nervous to bypass all of this and keep picking defense. Thats what we have always done. And what it has proven is if you neglect one side of the ball it can hurt. I know I will hear the BPA comment, but sooner or later you have to fix the problems and that means you have to upgrade the players.

Now before I get flamed, I am not down on what we have done. I am committed to trusting Saban unless he does not succeed. I would like an intelligent exchange about these issues because I think they are legitimate questions and I think many fans are asking them.

we didn't have one of the better defenses in the league. That is a myth.

we caould still get great o-line help from either e. brown, j. brown, or ben wilkerson. heck throw in ray willis if you want

Fact of the matter is almost every person you mentioned is OLD and is running out of time. Holliday and Carter got 2 year deals which means they are band-aids, O and D lines are an issue, as well as LB

i think this draft went as good as it could have....:cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that, but the defense is getting older. Saban had to draft some young talent to the defense.

The defense is getting rebuilt. I'll be surprised if there are more then 3 guys on this defense here in Sabans 3rd season from this defense now.

MikeO said:
we didn't have one of the better defenses in the league. That is a myth.
No. its fact. We had a top five defense in 2003. 2004 we were decimated by injuries at the tackle position and that caused us to suffer against the run. But Chester and Bowens return this year.

Even if you believe we had a medicore defense, there is no doubting we had a terrible offense. So those problems have to be solved. When and how?

Our d-line is very old. T.Bowens, Chester, Carter, Taylor, Holliday. These guys have seen their better days. Roth is a smart pick.

Seau is done. Zach is up in age. A young linebacker was smart.

Jim Bates told Saban after Nick got the job........defense is a bigger issue right now.

Are D was vastily overrated. We couldnt cover a rb out in the flats, and our talent was getting old. No new fire. Now we have fire!! Our O line I agree needs work. Im hopeing for Elton Brown and Wilkerson. Will find out tomm what goes on. But Im likeing how were not jumping for need...but rather...bpa. It will help in the long run.

Drafting based on need is something that will no longer happen in Miami. We are drafting the best player available. From what I've read and heard, Nick Saban wasn't high on the offensive linemen in this draft. He doesn't see value with them, and they probably feel a lot better about guys like Vernon Carey, Stockar McDougle, John St. Clair, Jeno James, and Damion McIntosh than many of the fans do. If there was a lineman that Hudson Houck thought could help this team, I'm sure he would have been in Saban's ear.

It's refreshing to see that we are taking the best players available. By doing it this way, we got ourselves a future All-Pro linebacker in the third round.

fin-atic said:
No. its fact. We had a top five defense in 2003. 2004 we were decimated by injuries at the tackle position and that caused us to suffer against the run. But Chester and Bowens return this year.

Even if you believe we had a medicore defense, there is no doubting we had a terrible offense. So those problems have to be solved. When and how?

Timbo has been injured off and on for years now. That won't change.

Chester had a serious injury. He won't be 100% by Week 1.

And you can make a case our offense improved over the course of last year and was playing well at the end of last year. Our offense has skill position players. Booker, Chambers, McMike, now Ronnie. Gus and AJ are suitable QB's. The o-line needs work, sure. But if there are no o-linemen worth a 2nd or 3rd round slections at our pick.......hey, take the best guy left.

Okay fine we are rebuilding the defense. But when and how is the offense rebuilt. The defense is at least mid level for the next two years. The offense is bottom of the league. The need is much greater there and yet through free agency and the draft the majority of moves have been made on defense.

Bates would say that naturally, since he bought into the Wanny School of "Screw offense, we only play defense".

fin-atic said:
Okay fine we are rebuilding the defense. But when and how is the offense rebuilt. The defense is at least mid level for the next two years. The offense is bottom of the league. The need is much greater there and yet through free agency and the draft the majority of moves have been made on defense.

The offense is being rebuilt. Added Booker last year (UPGRADE). Signed Chambers to a long term deal (UPGRADE). Probably will sign McMike to an extension soon (UPGRADE). Ronnie Brown (UPGRADE). Drafted Vernon Carey in the 1st round last year (trying to rebuild the o-line, its a start). SIgned Jeno James (not my fav palyer, but trying to improve). Traded for AJ Feeley (not a move I would have made, but trying to rebuild the offense).

What more do you want them to do? We still have picks tomorrow and June 1st cuts.

Back
Top Bottom