OL blame game: what % Grier, what % Lemuel Jeanpierre | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL blame game: what % Grier, what % Lemuel Jeanpierre

We all know the OL sucks but I think something is being missed in the convos here. Who is more to blame: Grier or Jeanpierre the OL coach, and to what degree?

Consider:
- several of our OL have been cut then suddenly look great on other teams (now that means Grier is at least partially to blame for cutting them, but at least spotted the talent initially)
- regression in year 2 of kindley, hunt, jackson
- the OL consultant Duke Mayweather at least seems to think our OL issues are coachable

Any one here with in-depth OL eyes that can shed light on this?

This is obv a key question because the solution is very different based on the answer.
Jean Pierre didn't get here as OL coach without being hired. All hires are on Flo. But so are the ones exceeding expectation on defense. He needs a better OL coach or Jean Pierre needs to make an epic jump in year two.

Honestly, it was a catastrophe to let the past OL leave .... and a travesty to promote Jeanpierre well above his experience. Looks like bad judgement by Coach Flo .... and one which I predicted would be a very bad move. Not surprised he has failed miserably. When one player gets bad in a short period of time, that's on the player almost always. When the entire offensive line dramatically regresses .... that's bad coaching.

Say what you will about Jackson and the other OL, but we need to get a better coach before making any real decisions on these guys who have obvious talent. It's on the coaching staff to start getting that talent to show through .... and the current OL coach was simply promoted WAY ABOVE the level of his experience or anything he earned. Good coaches will have seen this and have no faith in Coach Flo to come in .... so we may not be able to replace him with a quality coach anytime soon.

Sad ......... very sad. Coach Flo has no idea how to evaluate coaches or build a staff. Between this massive mistake and the disaster of the botched OC non-decision .... Coach Flo has crippled this team. IMHO, Coach Flo looks like a quality DC ..... but a poor HC. He just doesn't get the decision making right and has marred our ability to attract good coaches. He's going to have to fix it with what he's got if he hopes to be given another chance.

I think alot of it has to do with the way they handled training camp. While I can see benefits to offensive linemen learning multiple positions, like versatility and a more solid grasp of the overall blocking scheme, its certainly not a way to get timely results.

We all know the OL sucks but I think something is being missed in the convos here. Who is more to blame: Grier or Jeanpierre the OL coach, and to what degree?

Consider:
- several of our OL have been cut then suddenly look great on other teams (now that means Grier is at least partially to blame for cutting them, but at least spotted the talent initially)
- the OL consultant Duke Mayweather at least seems to think our OL issues are coachable

This is obv a key question because the solution is very different based on the answer.
Coaching without a doubt

Consider:

I'll expand your list.
40% Flo
40% OL coach
15% inexperience
5% Grier

I believe Eichenberg played LT at Notre Dame (I read that he was an All-American), but when playing LT for Miami he really sucks! I don't get it.
Playing LT in college is much easier than playing LT at the professional level. Norte Dame played a lot of games against teams that weren’t very good. Eichenberg probably only played against 3 or 4 high level DE’s in his entire time at ND.

Now he is playing against a quality DE every week. Perhaps he will eventually become a solid offensive lineman in the NFL but right now he is struggling just to play at an acceptable level on a weekly basis.

90% Grier. We paid 60% of Ereck Flowers' salary to play for another team. Dude was the best and most consistent OL we had last year. Not a single OL is paid in the top 10 in salary in our team. No veteran leadership either.
You must not have seen Flowers play a single down last hear, 'cause he sucked all year.

Consider:

The HC must be 100% accountable for every aspect of the team's performance.

So its completely at the feet of Brian Flores. Its all on him...the whole 7 game losing streak.

Flo-50% for bungling the whole Offensive coaching staff and the OL coach in particular.
JLP- 40% for these kids not knowing their assignments well enough to compete week in and out.
Players-10% for not competing like professionals

Honestly, it was a catastrophe to let the past OL leave .... and a travesty to promote Jeanpierre well above his experience. Looks like bad judgement by Coach Flo .... and one which I predicted would be a very bad move. Not surprised he has failed miserably. When one player gets bad in a short period of time, that's on the player almost always. When the entire offensive line dramatically regresses .... that's bad coaching.

Say what you will about Jackson and the other OL, but we need to get a better coach before making any real decisions on these guys who have obvious talent. It's on the coaching staff to start getting that talent to show through .... and the current OL coach was simply promoted WAY ABOVE the level of his experience or anything he earned. Good coaches will have seen this and have no faith in Coach Flo to come in .... so we may not be able to replace him with a quality coach anytime soon.

Sad ......... very sad. Coach Flo has no idea how to evaluate coaches or build a staff. Between this massive mistake and the disaster of the botched OC non-decision .... Coach Flo has crippled this team. IMHO, Coach Flo looks like a quality DC ..... but a poor HC. He just doesn't get the decision making right and has marred our ability to attract good coaches. He's going to have to fix it with what he's got if he hopes to be given another chance.
Digital, I agree with your assessment 100%. I couldn't have said it better. Flores jettisoned players who could have helped, he hired inexperienced coaches and it seems to have hurt the entire units performance in 2021. The key has been the entire units failures, which tends to point in the coaches direction. The players have to be held accountable as well. I'm not sure these kids did anything worthwhile in the offseason to improve, on their own? Where I blame Grier is in the draft evaluation process, every player seems slow footed, unathletic, overweight and sloppy. If that's his idea of what an OL should be, he's got issues.

I think the guard position is solved with Jackson and Hunt. Obviously the two now need experience at guard, but this full season will suffice.
Center, we can roll with Reiter, and Dieter as backup for now. They could and should improve the position on day 3 in the draft.
Tackles are not good, we need new tackles, and they need to draft tackles. And we need backup tackles too.

I would put it at:
Coaching- 80%
Grier- 20%

I think that all the shuffling was the primary reason for the regression. Part of that is on Grier with the decision to move Flowers and draft Ike, but most it was on the use of a more complex blocking scheme to start the season, and an inability to teach the more complex scheme. Then shuffling the line-ups almost every practice when the players are making mistakes due to that ineffective coaching. I also don't think that the shuffling was putting the players in the positions that maximized their skill sets.

But I also agree with the sentiment that the primary issue is fixing the problem rather than assigning blame. IMO one key factor in any OL is consistency. Blowing it all up, calling for people's heads, etc., will hurt more than help. Personally, I would add OL experience at coaching and with vets. I do worry that changing the OL coach will just result in another year of constant shuffling setting us up for another slow start.

Back
Top Bottom