OL Expectations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL Expectations

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
I have long believed that the success of the offense (and in many ways the entire team) really starts with the OL. A great OL can make a mediocre QB or RB look good. If they can dominate a DL, they can take over a game both offensively and even defensively. In doing so, it deflates the other team's offense, energizes their own defense, and it also helps to keep the D off the field and more rested.

There is no doubt, a good RB can help an OL as was the case last year with RW. Still, our OL was not great. I think they gained some confidence and worked hard as a result of what Ricky did.

This preseason has not gone well. It seems the OL may have a case of the, "we did well last year and we've got Ricky, it'll all come together" syndrome. Last year, the OL still felt under the gun and I think that helped them mentally. Nevertheless, aside from injuries, I think this could be the achilles heel of the team. They can't afford to just have a big game here or there. They need to consistently play well. A run down:

RT - Todd Wade - can be solid as a run blocker and a decent pass blocker but was eaten alive against Kearney the other night. He is a bit stiff and has trouble against very agile DE's.

RG - Perry - played much better last year than in previous years and makes some good decisions. But, the fact remains, he is not an overpowering blocker and in a division that is loading up on DT's (in fact, it's the league trend to look for two dominant DT's to stuff the run), Perry is a liability. He doesn't have the power to consistently move the brick walls we will face.

C - Ruddy - smart player and I'm sure makes excellent line calls, but, like Perry, he lacks in power. His struggle has always been being knocked back by strong DT's.

LG - Nails - not the player he was last year and the coaches are recognizing it. He is not as strong or quick or aggressive. As much as we would like the Nails of last year, I think he's still a year away from being back at full strength. McKinney may even beat him out, but he too is not a dominant player, though a very consistent one.

LT - Wade Smith/Dixon - It's nice to have Smith doing a good job, but he's really a year or two away from being a dominant player. Dixon may be our best OL but is actually better suited for OG. He will get the job done, but will occasionally get beat badly by a good pass rusher. Coming off ankle surgery does not bode well for either his quickness or his ability to handle a bull rush.

Overall, the biggest problem with the OL is a lack of power. They tend to get neutralized very quickly at the line of scrimmage. With the injuries (Dixon/Nails), it could make for a long season. And, with the other division opponents shoring up their DL's, that could be even more difficult.

Speaking positively, if Dixon and Nails can bring it on and play up to expectations, the benefit will be that these 5 have played together for a couple of years now. That has to help. Cohesiveness is a big factor in successful line play in the NFL. At other levels it is important but you rarely get a group together for 3-4 + years. In the NFL it's a big factor and that may help them overcome their deficiencies this year.
Comments ?

Looks good, aslong as there are no injurys

Back
Top Bottom