OL question | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL question

Jackson only played 80 snaps, not enough for me to see a level of improvement. Williams was great. I did not see the same improvement in Liam that you did.

Overall, it was not a good showing which is why the OL coach was fired.
I don’t think that’s why Applebaum was fired. They said he was fired b/c Smith was doing too much of the work on the OL.

At the end of the day the Dolphins are the only NFL team with a lefty starter, telling me that Miami is also the only NFL team that values the RT position so highly. I'm of the opinion that reduces the competition for elite RT prospects significantly. The stats in the article give me hope that a Day 1 starter can certainly be found at 51 or later. If you're looking for "guaranteed" plug and play, then you're talking first rounder, and unfortunately Steve Ross and his pal's Wile E. Coyote level antics screwed the Phins out of that option.
And we have not hit on some first rounders -Iggy and Jackson for example.
I hope they blossom but can’t put money on it.

I just read todays article on dolphins podcast. All talk about the OL.
They seem to feel the front office is satisfied with our current guys - better coaching for Liam and better coaching and health for Jackson.
The author did feel we might resign one of last years guys like Snell, Little, or Fischer.
I really do not have great confidence in this plan.
yeah that sucks. We’ll probably draft some guys at the positions as well as sign some undrafted players and we may make a move between now and training camp. Shall we trade Cedrick Wilson for example? I’m waiting until training camp to make any judgements…

I just read todays article on dolphins podcast. All talk about the OL.
They seem to feel the front office is satisfied with our current guys - better coaching for Liam and better coaching and health for Jackson.
The author did feel we might resign one of last years guys like Snell, Little, or Fischer.
I really do not have great confidence in this plan.
Yeah I think it’ll be Fisher… And I have the upmost confidence in McDee and now Butch Barry… Looking forward to seeing excellent progress from Liam Eichenberg and Austin Jackson! 🤠

And now I will run for cover! Ha ha ha

Haven't really studied the prospects that closely yet, sounds like you have So Be. Where do you see the sweet spot this year? Hopefully you're not saying the cupboard is bare , gotta be somebody better than the hope and pray strategy of the current roster construction, right?
I’d say the sweet spot is south of the nose and north of the knees… Anywhere in there’s pretty sweet to me!

Last edited:
Last season our OL changed to a zone blocking scheme. This is a major change with some not able to do it. McD new this and added two FAs who, with his former RBs made us respectable n run and Pass protect.

The two FAs played well along with Hunt but they were already good. He counted on the OL coach to develop and make the others better. This never happened. There was little or no improvement. McD made a mistake in hiring but was quick to correct by replacing him this year.

I have to give our guys this year to show something and it is a contract year for Jackson. I am not desperate to reach on the OL this draft but
would like to add a grizzly vet, maybe after final cuts, as insurance.
Fred Bear 🐻 You interested?

We’re in trouble - this damn franchise has brain damage…

Why can’t the management figure out a mediocre o line equals 9-8…buffoonery!!!
Hi raving…What an Lords name would you do if we ever lived up to your expectations? Food for thought…🤔

There’s nothing wrong with brain damage!

Except if you’re running a damn NFL team…

I’m not ruining legions of fans into NFL HELL year after year…

Not all brain damage is equal!!!
🎃

At the end of the day the Dolphins are the only NFL team with a lefty starter, telling me that Miami is also the only NFL team that values the RT position so highly.
Miami does NOT value the RT position, even with a left-handed QB. They really don't care about the o-line much at all. If they did, they would have got someone better to play RT after seeing Jackson play the past few years. Instead, they spent a bunch of money on Armstead, an injury prone LT who was guaranteed to miss games. Also, knowing that Armstead was going to miss games, they refused to get a second competent LT to replace him when he's hurt, figuring that they'd be okay with the barely adequate back-ups they had on the roster.

Other teams can fix/improve their o-line over one off-season, while Miami's line continues to get worse over the course of a decade. How is it that a team can tear down to rebuild in 2019 and accumulate ten 1st and 2nd Round picks for the 2020 and 2021 drafts along with a bunch of space under the cap, yet finish the 2021 season with a historically bad, worst o-line in the entire league? So no... the powers that be in Miami don't give a damn about the o-line.

Back
Top Bottom