OL question | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL question

Miami does NOT value the RT position, even with a left-handed QB. They really don't care about the o-line much at all. If they did, they would have got someone better to play RT after seeing Jackson play the past few years. Instead, they spent a bunch of money on Armstead, an injury prone LT who was guaranteed to miss games. Also, knowing that Armstead was going to miss games, they refused to get a second competent LT to replace him when he's hurt, figuring that they'd be okay with the barely adequate back-ups they had on the roster.

Other teams can fix/improve their o-line over one off-season, while Miami's line continues to get worse over the course of a decade. How is it that a team can tear down to rebuild in 2019 and accumulate ten 1st and 2nd Round picks for the 2020 and 2021 drafts along with a bunch of space under the cap, yet finish the 2021 season with a historically bad, worst o-line in the entire league? So no... the powers that be in Miami don't give a damn about the o-line.
I wasn't sure that hyperbole could be stacked this high. Congratulations!

I could see us pick Vorhees with a late round now he suffered an ACL tear

He could give us versatility and solid Interior offensive line play

This giy played injured and was very good all USC season long and beat the press record injured at combine

I wasn't sure that hyperbole could be stacked this high. Congratulations!
Thanks... I try! :chuckle:

On the other hand, there's a lot of truth in what I posted. How can you have a long history of o-line problems, wheel-and-deal for a ton of draft picks and room under the salary cap, and still end up with the worst line in the whole league? And then, go into the next season (2022) believing that two of the absolute worst o-linemen in the league from 2021 are going to magically turn into competent starters. Also, what kind of moron signs and relies on an injury prone LT without making sure that they have a good back-up? You might think I'm overexaggerating, but this is exactly what happened!

I agree.

I've done a lot of looking at these guys; a fairly good bunch coming out but really only Wright and Jones project at starting RT until we get near the bottom of the rankings, where there are perhaps 2-3 others who will be RTs but you probably don't want them starting right away.

Although it's done often, I'm not a fan of drafting a guy that's played thousands of snaps at LT and simply saying he can be a RT. Miami has done similar shenanigans all too often with almost every OL position and it's part of the reason we continue to have issues there. It's far easier to move a LT to LG than to plop him at RT.

Someone slap a bong on Wright's egg and let's get him and keep him 8)
Take Eich for example - poor guyz spinnin round so much from changin positions - he deserves to play in the phone booth...where the C of gravity and centrifugal force is minimized.

Thanks... I try! :chuckle:

On the other hand, there's a lot of truth in what I posted. How can you have a long history of o-line problems, wheel-and-deal for a ton of draft picks and room under the salary cap, and still end up with the worst line in the whole league? And then, go into the next season (2022) believing that two of the absolute worst o-linemen in the league from 2021 are going to magically turn into competent starters. Also, what kind of moron signs and relies on an injury prone LT without making sure that they have a good back-up? You might think I'm overexaggerating, but this is exactly what happened!
I KNOW you are exaggerating.
Our line is NOT the worst line in the league.
Even with all of injuries last year, I believe we were ranked 22nd.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with brain damage!

Except if youā€™re running a damn NFL teamā€¦

Iā€™m not ruining legions of fans into NFL HELL year after yearā€¦

Not all brain damage is equal!!!
That's true raving if ur getting ur brain damaged by good things! Like booze, drugz and wild women with a propensity for...........but if it comes naturally? Well.

We were the worst OL in the league a couple of years ago. All the wheeling and dealing improved our OL, in the first year of a new system and with multiple injuries to about 22. Most people agree we now have 3 good starters. Even AJ and Eich/Jones, while certainly upgrade-able were not as bad as some of our past disasters. IMO AJ was a + run blocker. He would still get beat too often in pass pro, but he did at least get in the way and with Tua's quick release it was usually a non-factor. I actually saw more situations (percentage-wise) where Hunt was a pass pro problem. Eich, I have more issues with. I never liked that pick and I don't understand what they saw in him. But he at least had a couple of good games mixed in. He's also only in year two and has been moved around a ton so you can still have some hope. I like Jones more. I don't have a particularly high ceiling for Eich, but I do think it's possible that in year two of the system he can rise to being an adequate starter. And with Jones and Eich, I would say getting adequate play from one of them is a reasonable expectation. I'd still like to find upgrades at both of those positions, but it doesn't have to be in the first few weeks of FA. In fact, I think the smarter play is to be patient.

I think Eichenberg will surprise people. He was an excellent college player who in year one in Miami played in a crap offense. He switched positions last year then got injured.
I wouldn't give up on Eichenberg yet. That's my personal feeling. I think he's going to be at worst solid once he settles in.
Unpopular opinion, I know. But college players like he was tend not to flat out suck in the NFL (USUALLY!) without an injury situation or coaching. Maybe he will suck, but I want him to get one more shot.
Interesting that you say that. Year three for McGlinchey was his breakout in SF. Both went to Notre Dame and had similar draft profiles. Obviously, McGlinchey has received better coaching with the 49ers.

But Miami's new offensive line coach has a background in San Francisco.

I also think it's too early yo give up on Eichenberg and Jackson, but I'd still look to bring in competition. Maybe even early in the draft.

Drafting an OT at 51 is possible but I hope they donā€™t draft one just to draft one. It has to be value and chances are very hard to be a starting RT at 51........imo TE is the way to go at 51 and then you can draft an OT at 84 and let him sit and learn for a while but please, donā€™t miss out on a very good TE class this year when we all know we need one.
By the same token, not likely a TE taken would be truly ready to start this year either.

I'm fine either way, but the better value (assuming you actually hit on the pick) would be Tackle, IMO.

but if we draft a good TE and a good RT then there might not be a need to do anything big though again, I think after the June cuts we'll bring in at least a couple of players that got cut by other teams
Yeah, maybe, but what quality of player are you going to get that couldn't make another team's roster as a backup?

It was the worst in 2021. They needed four new starters for 2022 and only brought in two, and one of those missed a bunch of games. Being ranked 22nd IMO is pretty bad. So bad that the new HC, a run-game guru, couldn't get his offense to be able to consistently run the ball.

Back
Top Bottom