OL question | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL question

I don’t think that’s why Applebaum was fired. They said he was fired b/c Smith was doing too much of the work on the OL.
A distinction without a difference?

I didn't like the hire to begin with, considering a first time HC, scheme change, and a line was not established as a unit. Should have gotten someone with NFL experience as the top OL coach.

By the same token, not likely a TE taken would be truly ready to start this year either.

I'm fine either way, but the better value (assuming you actually hit on the pick) would be Tackle, IMO.
but here's the difference with TE and RT........if the RT is not ready to start then he won’t play at all. A TE doesn't have to start in order to play and contribute. The offense runs a lot of two TE sets and sometimes you have all 3 TE's out there. Also, in this offense we won't be asking a TE to be the top target with Hill and Waddle in place but a guy like Kraft or LaPorta can still help both our passing and running offense without being a starter.

It was the worst in 2021. They needed four new starters for 2022 and only brought in two, and one of those missed a bunch of games. Being ranked 22nd IMO is pretty bad. So bad that the new HC, a run-game guru, couldn't get his offense to be able to consistently run the ball.
Having average RBs and about 8 different injuries to your linemen will do that.

Your hyperbolic statements to the contrary may be fun... but they deny the progress that we made, and the injuries that mounted...

but here's the difference with TE and RT........if the RT is not ready to start then he won’t play at all. A TE doesn't have to start in order to play and contribute. The offense runs a lot of two TE sets and sometimes you have all 3 TE's out there. Also, in this offense we won't be asking a TE to be the top target with Hill and Waddle in place but a guy like Kraft or LaPorta can still help both our passing and running offense without being a starter.
I guess I just don't see TE as a high value position unless he is an all-world type. You can certainly argue it is one of the weaknesses of the team, but then you are back to the old argument of drafting for need. If we are resolved to the thought that McD's offense uses Hill and Waddle on a lot multiple depth crossers, that mitigates the usefulness of running a TE down the "seam" on a regular basis. Bearing that in mind, the TE will likely be primarily a blocker and outlet option. You can get that type of guy in FR at a reasonable cost.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I just see the value differently.

I’m waiting for Miami to get a solid Oline coach like Stoutland. Until then, not encouraged by the current state of the line.

I just read todays article on dolphins podcast. All talk about the OL.
They seem to feel the front office is satisfied with our current guys - better coaching for Liam and better coaching and health for Jackson.
The author did feel we might resign one of last years guys like Snell, Little, or Fischer.
I really do not have great confidence in this plan.
The better coaching angle has me concerned. I know I sound like a broken record, but what the hell....

Frank Smith is supposedly and OC and no longer an OL coach. The rumors about Applebaum being fired because Smith was forced to help too often concerns me for 2 reasons:
- Lemuel Jeanpierre remains on staff after being the worst OL coach in recent memory. So your OC couldn't focus on OC duties bc his OL coaches (plural, Applebaum and Jeanpierre) weren't pulling duty. Applebaum gets canned but somehow the guy, who was worse as the OL coach and then part of the 2-some responsible for the OC having to coach OL, remains on staff? As an outsider, that seems odd.
- Barry is brought in after a tumultuous fired partial stint in Denver, very public I might add. His last OL job as the lead guy, back in college at Miami in 2019, went very poorly (ranked 127th out of 130 teams, ~4 sacks per game). He had a 1-year stint in SF with McD and knows the system but outside of that, another odd choice.

So does this FO (and fans for that matter) truly feel these 2 guys, who've mainly been asst OL coaches and failed as the lead guy, can develop these younger OLinemen (Eich, AJax, Jones) and take this OL to the next level? Or is Frank Smith going to be leading that unit again this year while McDaniel focuses on OC duties?

After 2 failed experiments with Jeanpierre and Applebaum, I really hoped they'd fix this thing with a stud OL coach once and for all.

Well... we've gone from having zero effective linemen to having three arguably excellent linemen, and two young guys who both fought injuries last year. If one of them proves to be what the coaches thought they had during last year's preseason, we're good. If both work out, we're freaking gold.

That said... If Eichenberg sucks again, we did bring in Feeney, and both Jones and Cotton are still around.

That's true raving if ur getting ur brain damaged by good things! Like booze, drugz and wild women with a propensity for...........but if it comes naturally? Well.
Thank you -

Dude ive killed brain cells by eating carne asada chimichangas at 4 am from Alberto’s in Encinitas in the late 80s early 90’s - fully self inflicted - I challenge others to name (rated PG) their brain damage moments!

Thank you -

Dude ive killed brain cells by eating carne asada chimichangas at 4 am from Alberto’s in Encinitas in the late 80s early 90’s - fully self inflicted - I challenge others to name (rated PG) their brain damage moments!
Mosh pits

Hi raving…What a Lords name would you do if we ever lived up to your expectations? Food for thought…🤔
Dude we’d ALL be dancing in the winners circle.

I think I hold the proper attitude that serves as a role model for others out here.

NFL is about WINNING the Super Bowl - other championships it’s a series or final 4 -

No one remembers the SB loser!

Everyone remembers the champ…

So let’s be champions - fix the line first…you’ll see we will win…and until then I hold license to rave against any coach whose best record with us is 9-8….until proven otherwise i am raving and drooling!!!

Interesting that you say that. Year three for McGlinchey was his breakout in SF. Both went to Notre Dame and had similar draft profiles. Obviously, McGlinchey has received better coaching with the 49ers.

But Miami's new offensive line coach has a background in San Francisco.

I also think it's too early yo give up on Eichenberg and Jackson, but I'd still look to bring in competition. Maybe even early in the draft.
Yeah, I have no qualms with competition. With all the moving around they've done with him, that crap offense they had him in his rookie year, then a new offense his second year, that's not surprising he might have struggled. Then the injury.
He got nothing but high praises throughout the pre-draft process. To just say he sucks and drop him after what he's been through seems frivolous.
Thanks for adding the point about McGlinchey, I didn't know that about his development.

Yeah, I have no qualms with competition. With all the moving around they've done with him, that crap offense they had him in his rookie year, then a new offense his second year, that's not surprising he might have struggled. Then the injury.
He got nothing but high praises throughout the pre-draft process. To just say he sucks and drop him after what he's been through seems frivolous.
Thanks for adding the point about McGlinchey, I didn't know that about his development.
Also, have to get a better solution for when Armstead misses games. Cody Mauch might be a perfect fit. He can play inside and outside, challenge Eichenberg and Jackson and fill in at LT.

Thank you for your well thought out and insightful response
Yeah Winnayson - An Easy’s bein nice to you there… Don’t you soon forget that he holds the keys to Bigbry’s locker… He’ll lock you the **** up! Ha ha ha ha ha

Dude we’d ALL be dancing in the winners circle.

I think I hold the proper attitude that serves as a role model for others out here.

NFL is about WINNING the Super Bowl - other championships it’s a series or final 4 -

No one remembers the SB loser!

Everyone remembers the champ…

So let’s be champions - fix the line first…you’ll see we will win…and until then I hold license to rave against any coach whose best record with us is 9-8….until proven otherwise i am raving and drooling!!!
For the record I asked what you’d be doin… How about showing how you really feel and ditch that ****in goofball Mac love avatar - fer starters. Then we’ll start talking about your meds… Ha ha just kidding

Plus it hurts my eyes to look at that smilin Alfred E. Neuman face a his and at least think bout yer boys! What if they see that ****. It’s friggin embarrassing man… There I said my peace. 🤠

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom