OL scorecard | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL scorecard

Dolphindrew

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
I have completely lost track of our OL depth chart at this point. Could someone enlighten me, even if it's just a guess? Is Mia going after anyone in FA for the OL? I don't think I'm alone when I say that was the biggest reason we were down so bad last year. I've read great things about the new OL coach, but I'm very skeptical that the exact same players can go from being HORRIBLE to being good in 1 year. Call me pessimistic.

Well, we definitely spent a lot of high draft picks on OL over the last three years. I don't know how that stacks up as compared to other teams, but I can't believe that NONE of them are capable of performing competently.

Let me take a shot at it. Our O-Line should be much improved primarily due to coaching, but a few players, like McDougle, could also make a difference.

Anyway, here is what I remember:

Left Tackle - Probable Starter (Damion McIntosh) Vernon Carey, John St. Clair and rookie Alabi are competing. St. Clair may be cut.

Left Guard - Probable Starter (Jeno James) Possibly Whitley and Damion Cook are competing, but more than likely Whitley will be cut and Cook is a backup

Center - Probable Starter (Seth McKinney) Wade Smith is the main competition for Center. Hard to say if Smith will even make the team.

Right Guard - Probable Starter (Rex Hadnot) Vernon Carey and Damion Cook are competing. Very hard to say what becomes of Carey and Cook should be a backup

Right Tackle - Probable Starter (Stockar McDougle) John St. Clair and maybe Vernon Carey competing.

It would seem Carey is the big question mark at this point. Training Camp will be very interesting this year.

The OL depth prob is looking something like this.....

LT-McIntosh/Carey/Alabi
LG-James/Cook/Whitley
C-McKinney/Smith
RG-Hadnot/Carey/Cook/Whitley
RT-McDougle/St.Clair/Carey

PhinDude88 said:

LT-McIntosh/Carey/Alabi
LG-James/Cook/Whitley
C-McKinney/Smith

I agree with LT and LG and RT. I will say that I think Carey will be starting someplace. My bet is RG but I guess you never know at LT and there is always injuries. Carey is a Big Body with talent and I believe he will be Houck's #1 project. I'm not sure why everyone is so high on Hadnot. I certainly wouldn't be handing him a starting job. One thing is for sure is this line will be getting BIG.

Dolphindrew said:
I have completely lost track of our OL depth chart at this point. Could someone enlighten me, even if it's just a guess? Is Mia going after anyone in FA for the OL? I don't think I'm alone when I say that was the biggest reason we were down so bad last year. I've read great things about the new OL coach, but I'm very skeptical that the exact same players can go from being HORRIBLE to being good in 1 year. Call me pessimistic.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm not convinced that coaching was the problem with our OLine. I think a lot has to do with lack of tallent. How many times did we see Wade Smith try to block someone by waving his hand at them?!?:fire:
This is one of the few things that is making me loose confidence in Saban. He didn't do much to address the OLine. When 2 QBs and a RB get seriously injured in one game, remember AJ's hurting A$$?, the problem to me is not the QB or RB, but the Oline.
But I hope Houck and Saban proove me wrong. I hope it is coaching, not lack of tallent like I suspect...

Coaching had to be the biggest problem with the oline last year. Wise was never known as a teacher and as soon as he was hired our line went down. With Houck coaching, we should see a huge improvement considering how bad they were last year.

Here is everybody we have:

LT: Damion McIntosh - Vernon Carey - Tony Pape
LG: Jeno James - Damion Cook - Eric Wilson - Bobby Meeks
C: Seth McKinney - Wade Smith
RG: Rex Hadnot - Taylor Whitley - Rodney Reed - Jason Thomas
RT: Stockar McDougle - John St. Clair - Anthony Alabi

Houck turned the San Diego OL into a very competent group with 2 rookies, and most of them NEVER playing together before.

Saban has said that OL is the position in the NFL that can be MOST helped by good coaching........and Houck is one of the best....if not THE best.

If LT (McIntosh) doesn't blossom this year, we'll get our franchise LT in the 2006 draft.....which is STOCKED with very, very good LTs (unlike this year's draft).

THE LIKELY FORECAST:

Our OL this year should become AT LEAST average (a huge improvement over last year). And by 2006, with more experience & development, they should be GOOD (maybe not great, but GOOD). :D

Trust in Saban...........there is a plan (but not everything can be fixed at once).

Here are my latest predictions for our Offensive Line...

Current: (What I think it currently looks like)

LT-Damion McIntosh/Vernon Carey/ Anthony Alabi
LG-Jeno James/Damion Cook/Taylor Whitley
C- Seth McKinney/Wade Smith
RG-Rex Hadnot/ Vernon Carey/Whitley
RT-Stockar McDougle/ John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Mine: (What I want and hope it will be)

LT-Damion McIntosh McIntosh/Vernon Carey/Tony Pape/Anthony Alabi
C- Rex Hadnot/ Wade Smith
RG-Vernon Carey/Seth McKinney/Bobby Meeks
RT-Stockar McDougle/John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Possible releases: Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, and/or Bobby Meeks..

PhinDude88 said:

LT-McIntosh/Carey/Alabi
LG-James/Cook/Whitley
C-McKinney/Smith

Thats assuming we don't pick some1 good up after June 1st.

painnotpleasure said:
Here are my latest predictions for our Offensive Line...

Current: (What I think it currently looks like)

LT-Damion McIntosh/Vernon Carey/ Anthony Alabi
C- Seth McKinney/Wade Smith
RG-Rex Hadnot/ Vernon Carey/Whitley
RT-Stockar McDougle/ John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Mine: (What I want and hope it will be)

LT-Damion McIntosh McIntosh/Vernon Carey/Tony Pape/Anthony Alabi
C- Rex Hadnot/ Wade Smith
RG-Vernon Carey/Seth McKinney/Bobby Meeks
RT-Stockar McDougle/John St.Clair/Anthony Alabi

Possible releases: Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, and/or Bobby Meeks..
I like yours bro

FemaleFinFan said:
This is exactly how I feel. I'm not convinced that coaching was the problem with our OLine. I think a lot has to do with lack of tallent. How many times did we see Wade Smith try to block someone by waving his hand at them?!?:fire:
This is one of the few things that is making me loose confidence in Saban. He didn't do much to address the OLine. When 2 QBs and a RB get seriously injured in one game, remember AJ's hurting A$$?, the problem to me is not the QB or RB, but the Oline.
But I hope Houck and Saban proove me wrong. I hope it is coaching, not lack of tallent like I suspect...

I feel your pain. But in Wade Smith's defense, lack of technique falls directly upon the shoulders of the OL coach Wise. Maybe just maybe even a worst coach then DW.
But then agian DW fired his entire OL (besides one, you guessed it Wade Smith) and felt that it was lack of talent rather then lack of technique. So i would have to say that DW was hands down the worst coach in the nfl Wise being a close 2nd.

Back
Top Bottom