OL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL

Even if Center is Boehm's best position, I want a pro bowl level Center acquired this offseason.

Jim Langer, Dwight Stephenson, Mike Pouncey have spoiled me.

Boehm can be the veteran back up that can teach him everything, and step in when he gets banged up (which happens to our centers all the time).

Do agree, if I was to try a pick my best ever Fins team it would be very hard to seperate those 3.
Wouldn't say on the same level but Jeff Dellenbach had his moments too.

Do agree, if I was to try a pick my best ever Fins team it would be very hard to seperate those 3.
Wouldn't say on the same level but Jeff Dellenbach had his moments too.
Jeff Uhlenhake, Tim Ruddy, all had their moments, but no confusing them or Jelly Belly Delly with our lineage of elite centers :)

I feel like everyone echoing "Deiter has been bad/awful yadda yadda" I know he hasn't been an all pro as a rookie but I have also seen him have his fair share of positive plays. Just last week I think he was credited with 2 pancakes on plays that literally went NOWHERE. I think the rookie has done just fine considering half the lineman around him are shuffled so much you can tell people are missing blocking assignments just because they are confused. Kid also had to play LT a few games and he clearly doesn't have LT feet. Those games really hurt his overall grade for the year. Thats also not to mention the eyeball test that I see on plays where half the lineman are on skates towards the QB and then you look and where is Deiter? Stonewalling his man at the LOS. He has struggled at times, and played very well at others. Let the kid learn.

I feel like everyone echoing "Deiter has been bad/awful yadda yadda" I know he hasn't been an all pro as a rookie but I have also seen him have his fair share of positive plays. Just last week I think he was credited with 2 pancakes on plays that literally went NOWHERE. I think the rookie has done just fine considering half the lineman around him are shuffled so much you can tell people are missing blocking assignments just because they are confused. Kid also had to play LT a few games and he clearly doesn't have LT feet. Those games really hurt his overall grade for the year. Thats also not to mention the eyeball test that I see on plays where half the lineman are on skates towards the QB and then you look and where is Deiter? Stonewalling his man at the LOS. He has struggled at times, and played very well at others. Let the kid learn.

Put Deiter between his old College Center and a decent LT next year and see how much he improves.

How is he playing though?

I feel like I saw a game earlier this year.... bears? And wasnt having a great game
I think he is playing well. His game is nothing like it was here. It took a couple extra years and I contribute it to coming from North Dakota. He actually started to come into his own last year with Denver.

I think he is playing well. His game is nothing like it was here. It took a couple extra years and I contribute it to coming from North Dakota. He actually started to come into his own last year with Denver.
Glad to hear it. Cant say I followed his career much, but he defintely had some physical tools to mold

Oh this goes way back...to when Grier first started with the Dolphins

OT Todd Wade (2nd round)

OT Shawn Draper (5th round)
OT Brandon Winey (6th round)

OT Wade Smith (3rd round)
OG Taylor Whitley (3rd round)

OG Rex Hadnot (6th round)
OG Tony Pape (7th round)

OT Anthony Alabi (5th round)

OT Joseph Toledo (4th round)

OG Shawn Murphy (4th round)
OG Donald Thomas (6th round)

OT Andrew Gardner (6th round)

OG John Jerry (3rd round)

OT Jonathan Martin (2nd round)

OG Dallas Thomas (3rd round)

OT Billy Turner (3rd round)

OG Jamil Douglas (4th round)

OG Isaac Asiata (5th round)

OG Michael Deiter (3rd round)
I can’t decide if your post is helpful or has made me suicidal.

I agree. While he has been less than spectacular, so far this year, he was a third rd pick, not a top prospect.

The experience/education he is getting this season is invaluable going forward. I expect him to come in next year stronger, and with a far better idea what to expect, and where he needs to improve.

I feel that man. He had a role for certain in evaluating talent, setting up the draft board, being a voice that carried varying degrees of weight dependent on regime or direction of franchise. The thing the throws me off is that we are burdening 1 person with our lapses or areas of opportunity of identifying talent and developing it. There are several other contributors in our failures in these areas. Parcells, Ireland, Hickey, Grier, Gaine to name a few bigger fish. Along with having multiple coaching staff that were enept in developing talent on the OL specifically, we have a recipe for disaster. It can't just be on Grier, there are alot of moving parts that we as fans are not privy too.

Yea and everyone’s gone except for...

Dieter would have had a much easier time transitioning to the NFL if we hadn't traded Tunsil. You put a top LT next to him and it cant'help but elevate his play. After QB, replacing Tunsil and James are still something we need to do pretty quickly. We have Reggie McKenzie on staff now. He was the former director of player personnel for the Packers for 8 years and was the NFL Executive of the Year in 2016 landing Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper for the Raiders. Marvin Allen is also on staff, he has been the Bill's national scout. Coach Flores spent long years for the Patriots, part of that time was in the scouting and personnel department. I say this because the truth is, we have been awful at drafting o-lineman, we've missed on more o-lineman than any team I've ever seen. The good news is that a very experienced and highly competent team will be assisting with the draft. I sure hope they make great decisions.

It doesn't look like there are any plus LTs coming in free agency... we are going to draft one, probably in the first round.

So we are looking at LT: round 1 rookie, LG: Dieter C: Draft pick/Boehm RG: Likely Free Agent signing, RT Davis/Prince/Draft Pick.

Potentially a much better line... if for no other reason is that the starters will be set by the day training camp opens.

I'm not really buying Prince as an eventual starter (I think he's too stiff), so I think Davis starts one more year before dropping to 6th man.

The trick is going to be getting a established FA Guard into town so we can draft an elite Left Tackle and Center. I hate to pay out big dollars to a Guard, but our backs are against the wall there unless you really believe that the rookie C will start and Boehm can play RG.

If we can pull this off... we will be much better.

Back
Top Bottom