OL | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL

I'm not sure I'm ready to worry about grier's past Oline drafting. I have no doubt Flo and Shea will have massive input. They will get the guys they want.

Like Deiter? He sucks too lol...

Last edited:
Like Deiter? He sucks too lol...

I wouldn't say Deiter sucks. He is a work in progress though. But he is way better than the guys they drafted before like Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas, and Issac Asiata.

I wouldn't say Deiter sucks. He is a work in progress though. But he is way better than the guys they drafted before like Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas, and Issac Asiata.

You sure? Last I checked the guy was ranked 73rd out of 78 guards on PFF. I’d certainly say that qualifies as “sucks” .

Would we be ok with new LT, RG Dieter, C Kilgore, RG Shaq, RT Davis?
No. We need two new tackles, a new guard and a new center. David isn’t a very good tackle and should be moved back to guard.

Castonzo is a FA, I don't think the Colts will resign him and his fam with Googs.

I want him.

You sure? Last I checked the guy was ranked 73rd out of 78 guards on PFF. I’d certainly say that qualifies as “sucks” .

Over the season? To me he's looked better the last few games at OG

Even if Center is Boehm's best position, I want a pro bowl level Center acquired this offseason.

Jim Langer, Dwight Stephenson, Mike Pouncey have spoiled me.

Boehm can be the veteran back up that can teach him everything, and step in when he gets banged up (which happens to our centers all the time).
I get what you mean, but be a bit more realistic....only 4 Pro Bowl Centers each year....and the probability of a team letting a PB OL walk in free agency is super low. This isnt Madden, where teams just let major FAs walk for nothing, we have to engineer a trade for a Pro Bowl caliber player, draft them, or develop one. No one is going to do the hard work for us.

Even if Center is Boehm's best position, I want a pro bowl level Center acquired this offseason.

Boehm can be the veteran back up that can teach him everything, and step in when he gets banged up (which happens to our centers all the time).
I get what you mean, but be a bit more realistic....only 4 Pro Bowl Centers each year....and the probability of a team letting a PB OL walk in free agency is super low. This isnt Madden, where teams just let major FAs walk for nothing, we have to engineer a trade for a Pro Bowl caliber player, draft them, or develop one. No one is going to do the hard work for us.

I would bring Boem back to start if we rebuild the OL through FA and he's surrounded by experienced starters and would still draft TWO developmental iOL with at least some C flex.

Throckmorton and Bama's 5 star transfer this year, his name scapes me.

I say this because the truth is, we have been awful at drafting o-lineman, we've missed on more o-lineman than any team I've ever seen. The good news is that a very experienced and highly competent team will be assisting with the draft. I sure hope they make great decisions.

Not only have they been awful at drafting o-linemen, but the previous two regimes under Philbin and Gase favored athletic, finesse-style linemen to fit their quick throw, short pass based finesse offenses. Neither Philbin nor Gase wanted tough, physical, old-school road-grader type linemen, and the result was that Miami's o-line was consistently pushed around and dominated by tough, physical d-lines. In fact, even average d-lines slapped them around! This is why after Gase was fired I said that the ENTIRE o-line should be replaced... including Tunsil. I saw him pushed backward many times; I assume that he wasn't very strong. IMO, he only looked good because the rest of the line was so bad. The only reason Tunsil didn't give up a lot of sacks is because the other 4 linemen were so bad that the guys they were blocking made it to the QB before Tunsil's guy.

When hired, Flores said that he wanted a tough, physical team and a good running game. I realize that it's only Year 1 of the rebuild, but so far the only improvements on the offense have been Parker, Williams, and Gesicki; they still need an o-line and a running game. Hopefully, the new decision-makers will rebuild that line with tough, physically-dominating players, and not the finesse ballerinas brought in by Philbin, Gase, and Tannenbaum!

I know they're rare. I'm just saying I don't want to settle for Kilgore/Boehm at Center.

The 49ers upgraded to Richburg when they traded Kilgore to us. Let's draft a guy with superior ability to a guy like Richburg and develop him.

Not only have they been awful at drafting o-linemen, but the previous two regimes under Philbin and Gase favored athletic, finesse-style linemen to fit their quick throw, short pass based finesse offenses. Neither Philbin nor Gase wanted tough, physical, old-school road-grader type linemen, and the result was that Miami's o-line was consistently pushed around and dominated by tough, physical d-lines. In fact, even average d-lines slapped them around! This is why after Gase was fired I said that the ENTIRE o-line should be replaced... including Tunsil. I saw him pushed backward many times; I assume that he wasn't very strong. IMO, he only looked good because the rest of the line was so bad. The only reason Tunsil didn't give up a lot of sacks is because the other 4 linemen were so bad that the guys they were blocking made it to the QB before Tunsil's guy.

When hired, Flores said that he wanted a tough, physical team and a good running game. I realize that it's only Year 1 of the rebuild, but so far the only improvements on the offense have been Parker, Williams, and Gesicki; they still need an o-line and a running game. Hopefully, the new decision-makers will rebuild that line with tough, physically-dominating players, and not the finesse ballerinas brought in by Philbin, Gase, and Tannenbaum!

Bingo!

It isn't just taking high rated linemen, it is taking the right kind of linemen.

Now, I'm not sold on Prince, and let's be honest, he was only a third day pick, but he is the type of lineman that Flores is going to want. He's a run-first guy. Smashmouth... He's a project that probably won't stick, but he's a clue as to which direction the team is heading.

Here's a fun exercise. Take the draft years 2012,13,14 (give draftees time to mature in the NFL). List all OLmen taken in middle rounds (I define that as 3rd, 4th, 5th). Identify all those OLmen still on their original team. Out of 46 OL draftees, 4 are still on their original teams. 42 obviously not considered 'good enough' to be kept on the roster. No team had 2 of those players from 12,13,14 still on the team. Now, I know you didn't mention mid-round OLmen, but a few have. Just pointing out NOT ONE NFL team is good at drafting mid-round OLmen. Even those who end up on other teams (e.g., Billy Turner) were considered failures on their original team.
I'm certain the number of starters aren't very high in R1 and R2. I can crunch the numbers if someone wants them. We need to stop comparing Miami to mythical 'other teams.' Yes, Miami has been bad, but no worse than 'other teams.'

Here's a fun exercise. Take the draft years 2012,13,14 (give draftees time to mature in the NFL). List all OLmen taken in middle rounds (I define that as 3rd, 4th, 5th). Identify all those OLmen still on their original team. Out of 46 OL draftees, 4 are still on their original teams. 42 obviously not considered 'good enough' to be kept on the roster. No team had 2 of those players from 12,13,14 still on the team. Now, I know you didn't mention mid-round OLmen, but a few have. Just pointing out NOT ONE NFL team is good at drafting mid-round OLmen. Even those who end up on other teams (e.g., Billy Turner) were considered failures on their original team.
I'm certain the number of starters aren't very high in R1 and R2. I can crunch the numbers if someone wants them. We need to stop comparing Miami to mythical 'other teams.' Yes, Miami has been bad, but no worse than 'other teams.'

You are also making my point that the posters who scream that they "don't want to draft some fat guy when there are athletes on the board" are pretty clueless when it comes to just how hard it is to find good linemen.

If you want a great line, you are gonna have to pay for it. High draft picks, huge FA dollars, loss of opportunity to spend in other areas.

We have a gift with 5 picks in the first two rounds this year... a gift. We can build the single most important part of an offense to help a young QB, the corn-fed fat boys who keep him alive.

Back
Top Bottom