OL | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL

You are also making my point that the posters who scream that they "don't want to draft some fat guy when there are athletes on the board" are pretty clueless when it comes to just how hard it is to find good linemen.

If you want a great line, you are gonna have to pay for it. High draft picks, huge FA dollars, loss of opportunity to spend in other areas.

We have a gift with 5 picks in the first two rounds this year... a gift. We can build the single most important part of an offense to help a young QB, the corn-fed fat boys who keep him alive.

Now we disagree a little. If by "high draft picks" you mean Miami's 1st pick, we disagree. If you mean Miami's 3rd R1 pick and/or a R2, we agree. I also disagree with "huge FA dollars." I want NOT ONE 'best" at any position. 3rd best? 5th best? Yeah, I'm interested. I want to stay away from "huge" salaries.

We agree on the "good linemen." Miami - all teams - needs them. And I suspect you'll get your wish with FA OLmen. Maybe not those demanding "huge" money, but good linemen.

Now we disagree a little. If by "high draft picks" you mean Miami's 1st pick, we disagree. If you mean Miami's 3rd R1 pick and/or a R2, we agree. I also disagree with "huge FA dollars." I want NOT ONE 'best" at any position. 3rd best? 5th best? Yeah, I'm interested. I want to stay away from "huge" salaries.

We agree on the "good linemen." Miami - all teams - needs them. And I suspect you'll get your wish with FA OLmen. Maybe not those demanding "huge" money, but good linemen.

I hope so, but as I've posted previously, my goal is more limited than that. I want us to sign a top 10 Right Guard. I think Deiter will be fine at LG, and I think Davis can start at RT for a year...

I'm sure we will take a LT in the first and probably a Center to fight it out with Boehm.

I'm a draft-first guy. One overpriced Guard would probably be enough. We have more picks next year.

Even if Center is Boehm's best position, I want a pro bowl level Center acquired this offseason.

Jim Langer, Dwight Stephenson, Mike Pouncey have spoiled me.

Boehm can be the veteran back up that can teach him everything, and step in when he gets banged up (which happens to our centers all the time).
I get what you mean, but be a bit more realistic....only 4 Pro Bowl Centers each year....and the probability of a team letting a PB OL walk in free agency is super low. This isnt Madden, where teams just let major FAs walk for nothing, we have to engineer a trade for a Pro Bowl caliber player, draft them, or develop one. No one is going to do the hard work for us.
I know they're rare. I'm just saying I don't want to settle for Kilgore/Boehm at Center.

The 49ers upgraded to Richburg when they traded Kilgore to us. Let's draft a guy with superior ability to a guy like Richburg and develop him.
All for drafting one in round 1-3. Anything after will likely be a development player, which we could still use

Oh this goes way back...to when Grier first started with the Dolphins

OT Todd Wade (2nd round)

OT Shawn Draper (5th round)
OT Brandon Winey (6th round)

OT Wade Smith (3rd round)
OG Taylor Whitley (3rd round)

OG Rex Hadnot (6th round)
OG Tony Pape (7th round)

OT Anthony Alabi (5th round)

OT Joseph Toledo (4th round)

OG Shawn Murphy (4th round)
OG Donald Thomas (6th round)

OT Andrew Gardner (6th round)

OG John Jerry (3rd round)

OT Jonathan Martin (2nd round)

OG Dallas Thomas (3rd round)

OT Billy Turner (3rd round)

OG Jamil Douglas (4th round)

OG Isaac Asiata (5th round)

OG Michael Deiter (3rd round)
thats a sad sack line up there

Deiter will get a chance next year to start again. Boehm should start at Center imo. Davis makes a good swing tackle/guard.

Really we can use 3 new starters. My ideal would be to get two in free agency and to draft one to go along with Boehm and Deiter.

Pretty sure Prince will get a chance to stick next year as well.
I agree that Boehm looks good at Center. He gets more push in the run game than Kilgore imo. Dieter was a rookie starting on a terrible o-line. It's tough to shine in that circumstance. Get a quality LT and Center and Dieter will rise in performance. We need 2 new tackles that can play. I'm glad we didn't overpay James but he needs to be replaced and Davenport isn't good enough to start at tackle. So maybe Davis at RG and Dieter at LG. Get 2 new tackles and give Boehm a long look at the pivot.

Back
Top Bottom