Old article about Houck's ability | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Old article about Houck's ability

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_4_229/ai_n9771126

There's alot of concern (rightfully so) about the O-line and whether it can be good enough to take Miami's (Linehan's) offense to the next level..

This article eases my mind...the highlights..

"Houck started over with a new cast: veteran acquisitions Roman Oben and Mike Golf, rookies Nick Hardwick and Shane Olivea and Toniu Fonoti, the 350-plus-pound guard who spent 2003 on injured reserve."

We have veterans Damien McIntosh & Jeno James, second year starters McKinney & Hadnot and fat boy Vernon Carey who spend 2004 on the bench..some similarities.

"Houck stressed techniques such as the proper hand punch, the double-team block and playing with a wide base. Houck convinced the players that the whole could be greater than the sum of its parts. And he helped each lineman dig deep within himself for the motivation to succeed.

For Goff, the right guard, it was that the Bengals weren't interested in paying what it would have cost to re-sign him. For Olivea, the right tackle, it was being passed over in the draft until the seventh round. For Oben, the left tackle, it was having the reputation of a finesse player who was vulnerable as a run blocker."

What would be the Dolphins individual motivations? For McIntosh, it could be to prove that his poor play was attributed to not being 100%...for Carey, it could be proving that he was not a busted 1st round pick...for Hadnot, it could be where he was drafted (6th round)...for James, it could be to prove that he is worth the huge contract he signed.

"I'm pretty sure if there was a Hall of Fame for offensive line coaches," Oben says, "Hudson would be the first guy to be inducted."

BTW, did y'all remember that Miami tried to get Houck in 1996?...oh what could've been :cry:

http://www.phins.com/news96/News_9602120904.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20050126-9999-1s26chargers.html

Here's a quote from Houck about Miami...

""I'm kind of excited about the whole thing," Houck said (about Miami) "I'm very excited about the organization. I think it's got a lot of potential. I think there's nothing but an upside from here. They won four games last year, but I think with Nick Saban going in there – he's an awfully good football coach. I think this thing will be turned around quickly."

I'm a believer.

yes just with houck our line exactly the same as last year will be better... not to mention an offensive scheme where teams wont be able to blitz us every play will make life much easier for the o-line...

add onto that stockar pickup, a year starting experience for seth and starter experience for hadnot, a healthy macintosh and some more line depth...

i think they will be vastly improved..

I think this unit will represent the most telling aspect of coaching, scheme and players.... we will have essentially the same players but new coaching and system... granted it will take them time to work as a unit.... and there will be some bad days.... but if this unit responds and becomes productive by mid season it will answer the coaching-system-player question

Just imagine if Miami got Houck in 1996...we could've had one of the best O-lines for years...

Gladsadmad said:
Just imagine if Miami got Houck in 1996...we could've had one of the best O-lines for years...

And nobody would have talked about Danny not ever winning the big one.

Back
Top Bottom