OLine fit for RPO | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OLine fit for RPO

SaskFinFan

Rookie
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the guru's of the site. Is there a specific trait you would look for in an OLine for an RPO? I know there are specific traits for OL in a zone blocking scheme, but is there one for RPO?

Just curious.

Short answer is no.

RPO is a concept - rather than a system. Coaches aren’t looking for any specific trait relative to RPO in offensive lineman outside of normal traits you’d prefer for a ZBS - being it’s run primarily off IZ/OZ.

Traits are relative to systems. Coaching points are relative to concepts. Just make sure the guy knows not to get too far downfield regardless of his traits.

Short answer is no.

RPO is a concept - rather than a system. Coaches aren’t looking for any specific trait relative to RPO in offensive lineman outside of normal traits you’d prefer for a ZBS - being it’s run primarily off IZ/OZ.

Traits are relative to systems. Coaching points are relative to concepts. Just make sure the guy knows not to get too far downfield regardless of his traits.
Appreciate it, just wasn’t sure if there was a specific guy you would take over another. Thanks for the information.

The only issue(as Pach pointed out)is the OL having the discipline to not get too far downfield when the QB keeps it and throws.

The Fins are not collecting OL who are going to be getting way downfield anyway, since they want to have a physical run blocking line and the fact that Tua is very good at RPO fits that concept.

I don't know if we will see Tua running with it too much but the RPO should be a bigger part of what they do going forward.

I am curious to see how much they throw to the RB's. Gaskin did pretty well catching the ball and I wold like to see them throw to him even more.

The only issue(as Pach pointed out)is the OL having the discipline to not get too far downfield when the QB keeps it and throws.

The Fins are not collecting OL who are going to be getting way downfield anyway, since they want to have a physical run blocking line and the fact that Tua is very good at RPO fits that concept.

I don't know if we will see Tua running with it too much but the RPO should be a bigger part of what they do going forward.

I am curious to see how much they throw to the RB's. Gaskin did pretty well catching the ball and I wold like to see them throw to him even more.
RPO isn't Tua running it. It's deciding between handing it to rb or throwing to uncovered reciever. He would only run in RPO as much as he does on any other play.

RPO isn't Tua running it. It's deciding between handing it to rb or throwing to uncovered reciever. He would only run in RPO as much as he does on any other play.
The QB running is very much one of the options in RPO.

He can keep it and run, he can keep it and throw or he can hand it off.

My point was that he would not be keeping it and running very much. But he will run some.He is not a great runner but he is pretty good and picked his spots pretty well last year.

The QB running is very much one of the options in RPO.

He can keep it and run, he can keep it and throw or he can hand it off.

My point was that he would not be keeping it and running very much. But he will run some.He is not a great runner but he is pretty good and picked his spots pretty well last year.
Absolutely not. Go and actually do some research on Pedersons RPO. There's ton of analysis direct from him. He doesn't want the QB to run The RPO isn't designed for that. This has been discussed in multiple threads already.

RPO's are not the Zone Read O ....

On the topic of RPO, here’s a cool video segment of Urban Meyer explaining how he first stumbled on to the concept (while at Utah) due to a missed blocking assignment:

And here’s Bret Favre explaining to Coach Gruden how he stumbled on to it out of boredom at practice:

All either had to do was watch HS ball, which had been using the concept for quite a while. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom