Omar Kelly admits he once tried to shoot a man | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Kelly admits he once tried to shoot a man

I can't help you if you don't understand the game, what does Pitt being a 30 yr old franchise(it was actually 40, shocking you are wrong again) have to do w/ that particular team? it's so sad how little you know considering all the time you spend talking about this stuff.

The Dolphins were founded in 1966. Why were they ready to win in 1972 over Pittsburgh?

I took the quote from your post #123 in this thread. You've never answered my question.

I can't believe you don't get it. You act like it is a franchise thing but it is a TEAM thing. That dolphin team was together for a few years, they had been to the playoffs TWICE and had been to a SB. Many dolphins feel that SB LOSS to dallas was the turning point which helped them win the next 2 years. Pitt's team that they were building was in the playoffs for the FIRST time. They had no idea what they playoffs were all about, they escaped on a miracle a week earlier and lost to a better team in the title game. This was not the dynasty Steelers YET.

I can't believe you don't get it. You act like it is a franchise thing but it is a TEAM thing. That dolphin team was together for a few years, they had been to the playoffs TWICE and had been to a SB. Many dolphins feel that SB LOSS to dallas was the turning point which helped them win the next 2 years. Pitt's team that they were building was in the playoffs for the FIRST time. They had no idea what they playoffs were all about, they escaped on a miracle a week earlier and lost to a better team in the title game. This was not the dynasty Steelers YET.

The Dolphins had been to the playoffs twice before 1972? Okay so that means they got to the playoffs in 1970 and 1971. They were founded in 1966. So for some odd reason the Dolphins were able to make the playoffs 5 years into their existence whereas Pittsburgh had 40 some years to do the same thing but couldn't. Yet this is a knock on the Dolphins b/c of Pittsburgh's lack of playoff success.

:lol:

That's great. Again seeing as how this all occurred before I was born I don't give a flying ****. But it shows you'll knock the franchise in mostly any situation.

The Dolphins had been to the playoffs twice before 1972? Okay so that means they got to the playoffs in 1970 and 1971. They were founded in 1966. So for some odd reason the Dolphins were able to make the playoffs 5 years into their existence whereas Pittsburgh had 40 some years to do the same thing but couldn't. Yet this is a knock on the Dolphins b/c of Pittsburgh's lack of playoff success.

:lol:

That's great. Again seeing as how this all occurred before I was born I don't give a flying ****. But it shows you'll knock the franchise in mostly any situation.

I like you phinz but some of the stuff you write is insane. You just don't have an understanding of some of the stuff we discuss.

Where did I knock the phins? Saying I don't think the '72 phins were the best of all time is not knocking them and by the way Don Shula and Dick Anderson agree w/ me. here are a few others:

“I’ll say that this ring is for Super Bowl VIII, the one after the perfect season,’’ said Newman, a rookie guard on the champion 1973 Dolphins who went on to play in four Pro Bowls during his 12-year career. “Certainly, it’s more memorable to be perfect, but the players off that 1972 team will tell you they thought the ‘73 team was better.’’

“We had a better team in 1973,’’ said Kiick, a gritty running back who scored touchdowns in both Miami Super Bowl wins. “The schedule was tougher, and we also were more experienced. The record wasn’t perfect, but we dominated the Super Bowl.’’

“A lot of the guys on the teams were the same, but we were a more polished team and more mature team,’’ Warfield, a wide receiver, said of 1973. “We had understood the concept of winning when everybody was gunning to try to beat us. We were a better team in 1973.’’

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nfl...lphins-better-than-72-perfect-?blockID=834869

Where did I knock the phins? Saying I don't think the '72 phins were the best of all time is not knocking them and by the way Don Shula and Dick Anderson agree w/ me. here are a few others:

Trying to pass the Steelers off as being inexperienced and thus the Dolphins beating them in Pittsburgh where they went undefeated that year as not impressive b/c Pittsburgh wasn't ready to win despite being an older franchise with more opportunities to be "more polished and mature" as Paul Warfield said is a knock on the Dolphins. It's making light of the situation they went through just as people saying the Jets winning a few playoff games is BS b/c of how they got there.

Bottom line is they did what they had to do. It isn't their problem that the Steelers weren't good enough.

As for your quotes from their players.....

The greatest NFL team of all time is the only one in history to go undefeated in the regular and postseason, concluding with a Super Bowl win. Sporting News, which is celebrating its 125th year as a publication, has bestowed the 1972 Dolphins team with this distinction after a vote was cast by coaches, owners and players from the past and present.

The 1972 team went 17-0 and was led by Hall of Fame coach Don Shula and quarterback Bob Griese. Every year alumni from the team reportedly get together and toast following the loss of the last undefeated team to bite the dust. This story was denied by Don Shula in a 2007 interview with ESPN but then admitted by one of the most outspoken members of the team, running back Mercury Morris.

Other stars from the 1972 team included quarterback Earl Morrall, running back Larry Csonka, receiver Paul Warfield, defensive end Bill Stanfill, linebacker Nick Buoniconti and center Jim Langer.

Critics will dispute this tribute to the Dolphins, pointing to the 1985 Bears or the 2004 New England Patriots and mentioning that Miami played one of the easiest schedules in history. Nevertheless, no one can deny that you can’t get better than perfect and the Dolphins still have those bragging rights.

Analysis: As it turns out, you can argue with perfection.

The obvious choice for the greatest team in Miami Dolphins history is 1972, the historic season in which they went undefeated and claimed their first championship.

But some important members of that team have claimed the 1973 edition was even better, although it lost two games against better competition before closing out the season with its second straight Super Bowl victory.

"The question is, do I think my team is better than it was a year ago?" coach Don Shula said after the follow-up title. "There's no question about it. I think we're a better football team than we were a year ago at this time. I think we've gone one step beyond last year's football team. Even though we were 17-0, a perfect season, going back-to-back on Super Bowls is more meaningful."

With all due respect to Coach Shula, perfection won't take a backseat here.

The '72 Dolphins played a pretty feeble schedule, but they ranked first in total offense, scoring offense, total defense and scoring defense. They beat their opponents by an average margin of 15.3 points in the regular season despite losing Griese to a broken ankle in October.

Most impressive win: Down 10-7 in the third quarter and on the road against the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game, Griese replaced Morrall and directed a pair of touchdown drives in a 21-17 victory.

Forgiving schedule: The Dolphins feasted on a schedule that was one of the weakest in NFL history. In the regular season, they played no playoff clubs and just two that finished with winning records. Six opponents won four or fewer games. The combined record of their regular-season foes was 70-122-4.

Honorable mention

1973: Some assert Miami's back-to-back championship team was better than the one that went undefeated. It held opponents to single-digit points eight times, including the Minnesota Vikings in the Super Bowl.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

"The question is, do I think my team is better than it was a year ago?" coach Don Shula said after the follow-up title. "There's no question about it. I think we're a better football team than we were a year ago at this time. I think we've gone one step beyond last year's football team. Even though we were 17-0, a perfect season, going back-to-back on Super Bowls is more meaningful."

BTW, they wouldn't have felt this way had they not gone 17-0 the year before.

Trying to pass the Steelers off as being inexperienced and thus the Dolphins beating them in Pittsburgh where they went undefeated that year as not impressive b/c Pittsburgh wasn't ready to win despite being an older franchise with more opportunities to be "more polished and mature" as Paul Warfield said is a knock on the Dolphins. It's making light of the situation they went through just as people saying the Jets winning a few playoff games is BS b/c of how they got there.

Bottom line is they did what they had to do. It isn't their problem that the Steelers weren't good enough.

As for your quotes from their players.....

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

BTW, they wouldn't have felt this way had they not gone 17-0 the year before.

I am not trying to pass Pitt off as inexperienced THEY WERE inexperienced. That was their FIRST postseason experience w/ that core group which was still building toward a dynasty.

Franco was a rookie, Bradshaw was in year 3 and was still mediocre, Frank Lewis and Ron Shanklin were their starting WRs not Stallworth and Swann, Bleier was barely playing, Ernie Holmes and Jack lambert weren't starting or on the team(In Lambert's case), this was a dynasty in the making but they were far from a finished product.

It was impressive to go on the road and beat them but you didn't beat the dynasty Steelers like you are pretending you did.

Many people have many different opinions(you should post links by the way so we know whose opinions these were), you acting like I was bashing the '72 team is silly and has been proven silly by DOLPHIN player quites that played on those 2 teams.

I am not trying to pass Pitt off as inexperienced THEY WERE inexperienced. That was their FIRST postseason experience w/ that core group which was still building toward a dynasty.

This has nothing to do with the 1972 Dolphins.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

It was impressive to go on the road and beat them but you didn't beat the dynasty Steelers like you are pretending you did.

Total deflect. I haven't mentioned anything about the Steelers dynasty or pretending about anything.

This has nothing to do with the 1972 Dolphins.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Total deflect. I haven't mentioned anything about the Steelers dynasty or pretending about anything.

It has to do w/ Miami playing Pitt in the playoffs in 1972.

do you know what a deflection is?

Thank you for posting links. It's the opinion of one man at espn and I don't know who at TSN.

Thank you for posting links. It's the opinion of one man at espn and I don't know who at TSN.

And your opinion is just one man who no one knows either. What's your point?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

It has to do w/ Miami playing Pitt in the playoffs in 1972.

do you know what a deflection is?

Most of what you say is a deflection. You continue to not explain why the Dolphins were more mature and ready to win in 5 years of existence when Pittsburgh wasn't even though they were a team for almost 40 years longer.

I get that the Bradshaw, Franco, etc regime was later in the 70s but who gives a ****? They had plenty of time to get experience and not be ******* and they failed. Something the 72 Dolphins didn't do.

I have explained it 5,000 times, you choose not to listen to reason. That's on you.

I have explained it 5,000 times, you choose not to listen to reason. That's on you.

Your opinion isn't reason. Perhaps in the mental playground you call your brain where you're the king. The thing is, that isn't the real world.

Back
Top Bottom