On Character | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Character

Smitten2021

Active Roster
Reaction score
There is one thing I know about Grier since he took over as GM...he strongly prioritizes character. Look at the past 3 years of picks and listen to his press conferences after he makes them.

Character is the reason we went DT with Wilkins...it was a bit of a surprise pick wasn’t it? But he was going to be a MAJOR building block for our new defense and the new culture. Character is the reason we took swings at Michael Dieter and Andrew Van Ginkel, Tua Tagovailoa and Austin Jackson. You see the theme? And 4 out of the 5 have been excellent picks.

Grier goes for guys that are selfless. Guys who put the team first. Guys who will make for a good locker room. Guys who will always give it 110%. And he’s willing to take a player a bit early to get that (think Jackson.)

This is why I believe we will take Smitty at #6 and not Chase. With Chase you got a player who sometimes takes plays off. You got a player who talks like he’s full of himself. You got a player who took a season off because he knew he was locked into the money. I don’t buy that corona excuse for a second. Sure he may even be the superior player...but what about character? What happens when it’s time to be paid? I don’t want an Odell Beckham or Jarvis Landry. No thank you.

With Smith you got a humble Christian boy. A kid who will always give it 110%. A kid who has always faced adversity cuz of his size and overcame it cuz of his will. A kid who is a true student of the game. A kid who stepped up when his teammates needed him the most. He came back and didn’t even think about sitting out...and then he absolutely dominated despite losing Waddle. This projects to a career-long kind of player for your franchise. A true rare commodity. Forget the claims about his size...he took on the best defenses in the SEC and took major hits. I’m not at all worried. Plus he’s one of the most polished route runners in a long time. The idea of reuniting him with Tua makes me so excited for our offense.

Watch the video link down below if you aren’t convinced. I truly believe he’s already a Dolphin. I listen/watch this every day because I’m convinced he’s our pick. It’s an amazing video. I’m convinced we dropped to 6 with the full intent to take him.

Other extremely high character guys I believe we are targeting are Najee Harris for obvious reasons and Creed Humphrey. In a perfect world we take Najee at 18 and Creed falls to 36...but I don’t see it happening. I’m sure many of you would be disgusted with a center at 18...but I could see him going to several teams shortly after - namely the Steelers and Packers. He’s better than Ruiz was and we have a huge need there. I think he’s a pro bowl center. His character is off the charts good. I could see him snapping to Tua for a decade. Oh...and he’s a Lefty.

Anyways...we’re in a situation with clearly defined needs and have the chance to take very high character players at those positions. I think we get 2 of the 3. Don’t forget you heard it here if it happens. It’s because of how much Grier prioritizes character whilst also looking for the production.

Last edited:
In general i think your point is well made. I don't believe Miami will seriously mark down players who skipped the past year, simply because it would be crazy to voluntarily narrow down the field so drastically.

But they do value guys who love football and who have strong characters. Where guys like Isaiah Wilson (who i know was a cheap dice roll) and Minkah fit into that, i don't know. Like with life, it's a question of not being black and white about your principles, just let them lightly colour your choices.

I don't think Chase would be by any means off our board. I still think he's a great choice for Miami and a real receivers friend. Gets yards after first contact like few others, which in the pros will be more regularly put to the test than may other skills.

I def don't think we will downgrade people that didn't play last year.

Also, teams are starting to Blacklist troublemakers as they realize they just aren't worth it.
AB, is an extreme but also one of the better WR in football and no one is making offers. Again, not worth it.

Well, time will tell. I agree with much of what the OP said but not sure about the players that opted out because there's just too many of them. If we go by who's always willing to play then Waddle comes into play as we all saw there was no way he should have played in that CG and yet there he was trying to be a part of it.

Grier has actually shown a willingness to take chances on a lot of low character players. Mark Walton, Isaiah Wilson, Mark Walton, Antonio Callaway, Robert Nkemdiche the list goes on. The biggest difference is all those guys he’s not investing anything of value into them and when it doesn’t work out he’s quickly moved on. Which I think is the right approach. It’s exactly why we won’t be drafting Kadarius Toney in round 1

There is one thing I know about Grier since he took over as GM...he strongly prioritizes character. Look at the past 3 years of picks and listen to his press conferences after he makes them.

Character is the reason we went DT with Wilkins...it was a bit of a surprise pick wasn’t it? But he was going to be a MAJOR building block for our new defense and the new culture. Character is the reason we took swings at Michael Dieter and Andrew Van Ginkel, Tua Tagovailoa and Austin Jackson. You see the theme? And 4 out of the 5 have been excellent picks.

Grier goes for guys that are selfless. Guys who put the team first. Guys who will make for a good locker room. Guys who will always give it 110%. And he’s willing to take a player a bit early to get that (think Jackson.)

This is why I believe we will take Smitty at #6 and not Chase. With Chase you got a player who sometimes takes plays off. You got a player who talks like he’s full of himself. You got a player who took a season off because he knew he was locked into the money. I don’t buy that corona excuse for a second. Sure he may even be the superior player...but what about character? What happens when it’s time to be paid? I don’t want an Odell Beckham or Jarvis Landry. No thank you.

With Smith you got a humble Christian boy. A kid who will always give it 110%. A kid who has always faced adversity cuz of his size and overcame it cuz of his will. A kid who is a true student of the game. A kid who stepped up when his teammates needed him the most. He came back and didn’t even think about sitting out...and then he absolutely dominated despite losing Waddle. This projects to a career-long kind of player for your franchise. A true rare commodity. Forget the claims about his size...he took on the best defenses in the SEC and took major hits. I’m not at all worried. Plus he’s one of the most polished route runners in a long time. The idea of reuniting him with Tua makes me so excited for our offense.

Watch the video link down below if you aren’t convinced. I truly believe he’s already a Dolphin. I listen/watch this every day because I’m convinced he’s our pick. It’s an amazing video. I’m convinced we dropped to 6 with the full intent to take him.

Other extremely high character guys I believe we are targeting are Najee Harris for obvious reasons and Creed Humphrey. In a perfect world we take Najee at 18 and Creed falls to 36...but I don’t see it happening. I’m sure many of you would be disgusted with a center at 18...but I could see him going to several teams shortly after - namely the Steelers and Packers. He’s better than Ruiz was and we have a huge need there. I think he’s a pro bowl center. His character is off the charts good. I could see him snapping to Tua for a decade. Oh...and he’s a Lefty.

Anyways...we’re in a situation with clearly defined needs and have the chance to take very high character players at those positions. I think we get 2 of the 3. Don’t forget you heard it here if it happens. It’s because of how much Grier prioritizes character whilst also looking for the production.

Chase doesn't have character issues...to suggest he does is beyond ignorant.

I didn't want to be the post spoiler that came out and said it.
Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

This is why I think it was important to notice Sewell is training at RT just in case someone with a LT or left handed QB drafts him.

Says a lot about Sewell's character being considered a "generational" LT however, being willing to train and learn RT just in case that is what's needed from the team who drafts him.

I would love Sewell at 6 than a trade up from 18 to get Smith if he falls to 10

Sewell/smith/ j. Williams. I will be happy with that lol

If he's self-centered and makes decisions based on what's most beneficial for him personally, then yes, that's a character flaw when applied to a team sport. Not agreeing that is the case with Chase at all, but these traits collectively, if present when applied to the game itself, would certainly merit discussion. The OP is not using the term "character" in the context you are interpreting it as. He is not insinuating that Chase's character is nefarious in any way. Today's common interpretation of character, when applied to an athlete, is being a "trouble maker". I don't believe that was his intent, Chase is not a "trouble maker" he may just make decisions that put himself before the team. The league is full of those types of players.

If he's self-centered and makes decisions based on what's most beneficial for him personally, then yes, that's a character flaw when applied to a team sport. Not agreeing that is the case with Chase at all, but these traits collectively, if present when applied to the game itself, would certainly merit discussion. The OP is not using the term "character" in the context you are interpreting it as. He is not insinuating that Chase's character is nefarious in any way. Today's common interpretation of character, when applied to an athlete, is being a "trouble maker". I don't believe that was his intent, Chase is not a "trouble maker" he may just make decisions that put himself before the team. The league is full of those types of players.
So I guess, then, we can't take Parsons or Sewell or Slater, either..among others. "Character" flaws... :shrug:

Seems a lot more folks here on FH have a problem with CHASE sitting than they do Sewell or Parsons? Hmm?:shrug::shrug::shrug::bobdole:

So I guess, then, we can't take Parsons or Sewell or Slater, either..among others. "Character" flaws... :shrug:

Seems a lot more folks here on FH have a problem with CHASE sitting than they do Sewell or Parsons? Hmm?:shrug::shrug::shrug::bobdole:
I'm not the GM, that's not for me to decide. I'm sure they have their standards and apply those when analyzing the personal traits of each individual player. Teams psychoanalyze each player they have an interest in, their personal character in combination with the decisions they have made forms the evaluation on how the team believes these personal traits may translate on and off the field. That's the purpose of the in-person interviews, they want to get inside their heads before dropping millions on them. Is opting out of playing a negative in their eyes? I have no clue, don't really care. That wasn't the point of my last post, it was simply to state character is comprised of many factors, not all are negative or nefarious. They look for patterns that are indicators for potential future behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom