On Character | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Character

There is one thing I know about Grier since he took over as GM...he strongly prioritizes character. Look at the past 3 years of picks and listen to his press conferences after he makes them.

Character is the reason we went DT with Wilkins...it was a bit of a surprise pick wasn’t it? But he was going to be a MAJOR building block for our new defense and the new culture. Character is the reason we took swings at Michael Dieter and Andrew Van Ginkel, Tua Tagovailoa and Austin Jackson. You see the theme? And 4 out of the 5 have been excellent picks.

Grier goes for guys that are selfless. Guys who put the team first. Guys who will make for a good locker room. Guys who will always give it 110%. And he’s willing to take a player a bit early to get that (think Jackson.)

This is why I believe we will take Smitty at #6 and not Chase. With Chase you got a player who sometimes takes plays off. You got a player who talks like he’s full of himself. You got a player who took a season off because he knew he was locked into the money. I don’t buy that corona excuse for a second. Sure he may even be the superior player...but what about character? What happens when it’s time to be paid? I don’t want an Odell Beckham or Jarvis Landry. No thank you.

With Smith you got a humble Christian boy. A kid who will always give it 110%. A kid who has always faced adversity cuz of his size and overcame it cuz of his will. A kid who is a true student of the game. A kid who stepped up when his teammates needed him the most. He came back and didn’t even think about sitting out...and then he absolutely dominated despite losing Waddle. This projects to a career-long kind of player for your franchise. A true rare commodity. Forget the claims about his size...he took on the best defenses in the SEC and took major hits. I’m not at all worried. Plus he’s one of the most polished route runners in a long time. The idea of reuniting him with Tua makes me so excited for our offense.

Watch the video link down below if you aren’t convinced. I truly believe he’s already a Dolphin. I listen/watch this every day because I’m convinced he’s our pick. It’s an amazing video. I’m convinced we dropped to 6 with the full intent to take him.

Other extremely high character guys I believe we are targeting are Najee Harris for obvious reasons and Creed Humphrey. In a perfect world we take Najee at 18 and Creed falls to 36...but I don’t see it happening. I’m sure many of you would be disgusted with a center at 18...but I could see him going to several teams shortly after - namely the Steelers and Packers. He’s better than Ruiz was and we have a huge need there. I think he’s a pro bowl center. His character is off the charts good. I could see him snapping to Tua for a decade. Oh...and he’s a Lefty.

Anyways...we’re in a situation with clearly defined needs and have the chance to take very high character players at those positions. I think we get 2 of the 3. Don’t forget you heard it here if it happens. It’s because of how much Grier prioritizes character whilst also looking for the production.

Slim Reaper is special. I want pitts but my instincts tell me it’s smith.

Obviously none of us know for sure how much the Fins will downgrade players based on if they didn't play last year, will be very interesting to see. To correlate love of the game with not sitting out during covid I can understand that link, although I'm sure some players did have the health of their nearest and dearest at heart. Bottom line is we just won't know until draft night and our picks are in. I do think we will draft Smith and I suspect he is higher on our board than Chase. Pitts is a different story because there is so much more depth in this draft at WR than TE, still expect our pick to be Smith though!

If he's self-centered and makes decisions based on what's most beneficial for him personally, then yes, that's a character flaw when applied to a team sport. Not agreeing that is the case with Chase at all, but these traits collectively, if present when applied to the game itself, would certainly merit discussion. The OP is not using the term "character" in the context you are interpreting it as. He is not insinuating that Chase's character is nefarious in any way. Today's common interpretation of character, when applied to an athlete, is being a "trouble maker". I don't believe that was his intent, Chase is not a "trouble maker" he may just make decisions that put himself before the team. The league is full of those types of players.
Thank you for representing my argument appropriately. I meant precisely what you said.

As for others comments...I think FA and the draft are entirely different. With FA, he’s trying to plug in the holes...you never expect a FA signing to last the full life of the contract...and even if the player does fulfill the contract they often don’t resign. That’s just the nature of it. You bend more on what you value because these players are veterans and unlikely to be malleable at this point to what you want. You’re also typically only compensating them with money.

When it comes to the draft though...you’re investing the teams future...the most important currency a team has and a very limited supply. Unlike FA, you’re not looking to fill a hole short term...the ultimate goal is to find cornerstones for years to come. It’s becoming increasingly rare nowadays that a player stays with their original team...but GMs are trying to find players that they can build around indefinitely. That is the ultimate value.

So character matters more. Things like selflessness, sacrifice, loyalty, commitment, being a student of the game, being likeable, being a good role model in the locker room, being a good member of the community, etc, etc. become more important.

When it comes down to Chase .vs. Smith...I think it’s very obvious based on what took place in 2020 the types of players each are. Beyond that, we can just agree to disagree...when I watch Chase speak I sense that he’s the type of guy whose going to be “me first.”

When you have 2 players so equally matched in value...(Chase and Smith) then character is the tie breaker. I want the Marvin Harrison. I’ll take those qualities that project into a better pro - a more long term investment - every.single.time. And I’ll gladly sacrifice size or strength to get it. And I think Grier has shown that he’s willing to do precisely that. Just my 0.02 we can agree to disagree guys.

I don’t understand the narrative around guys who sat out vs guys who played last year. We were in the middle of a global pandemic. Guys who were already locked into money sat out. Guys who had something left to prove played. At the end of the day they all did what was in the best interest for their professional careers or personal lives. They could have lost millions with a significant late season injury. If I were Chase or Sewell, for example, I would have done the exact same thing with zero regrets.

So I guess, then, we can't take Parsons or Sewell or Slater, either..among others. "Character" flaws... :shrug:

Seems a lot more folks here on FH have a problem with CHASE sitting than they do Sewell or Parsons? Hmm?:shrug::shrug::shrug::bobdole:
Each case is unique. I think you place more emphasis on it when you’re faced with choosing between players who play the same position.

As for Parsons...I would have him significantly dropped on my board.

Last edited:
This is why I think it was important to notice Sewell is training at RT just in case someone with a LT or left handed QB drafts him.

Says a lot about Sewell's character being considered a "generational" LT however, being willing to train and learn RT just in case that is what's needed from the team who drafts him.

I would love Sewell at 6 than a trade up from 18 to get Smith if he falls to 10

Sewell/smith/ j. Williams. I will be happy with that lol
Something I haven’t considered. I think you bring up a great point about Sewell. Showing teams that he is willing to play both sides is a strong indicator of the type of person and teammate he is. Between that, and the essential need to protect Tuas blindside, and the rarity and premium value of an elite tackle...I think I’d be willing to forgive him sitting out and place less emphasis on that with him.
Each case is unique...and I’d love your draft scenario too btw!

I don’t understand the narrative around guys who sat out vs guys who played last year. We were in the middle of a global pandemic. Guys who were already locked into money sat out. Guys who had something left to prove played. At the end of the day they all did what was in the best interest for their professional careers or personal lives. They could have lost millions with a significant late season injury. If I were Chase or Sewell, for example, I would have done the exact same thing with zero regrets.
I understand the argument. But I also think that these kids are being given a golden ticket in life and they shouldn’t be taking the “easy way out” when presented with a difficult choice. They should earn that ticket in every which way they can. That’s just my opinion.

Lets put it this way though...I think Grier will value the fact that Smitty played DESPITE all of that more than he will knock Chase for sitting. It’s more of a “bonus” for Smith. It’s less of a “minus” for Chase. But at the end of the day if you’re faced between the 2...Smitty would be my pick. That bonus means a lot to me and I think Griers history shows that it means a lot to him too.

Character has ALWAYS been important... and smart coaches and smart GMs have always realized this.

That said... some of those who sat out, sat out BECAUSE of their high character. I've mentioned this several times, (but only because it keeps getting ignored) by FOUR PEOPLE IN KENNETH GAINWELL'S FAMILY DIED.

To automatically say that those who sat out don't love football is just... sloppy. Each player had a different set of circumstances that they dealt with... judge them by their circumstances.

Character has ALWAYS been important... and smart coaches and smart GMs have always realized this.

That said... some of those who sat out, sat out BECAUSE of their high character. I've mentioned this several times, (but only because it keeps getting ignored) by FOUR PEOPLE IN KENNETH GAINWELL'S FAMILY DIED.

To automatically say that those who sat out don't love football is just... sloppy. Each player had a different set of circumstances that they dealt with... judge them by their circumstances.
Agreed on that point. Each case is unique.

With Chase...I’ve never gotten the sense that it was genuine concern. I felt it was a calculated decision - a business decision. That’s my interpretation given the evidence. He’s never cited a particular family member or health concern. When he’s been asked about it he’s been very tight lipped.

Beyond just the sitting out...there is another aspect too. Does the player value his degree?

All of these tiny things add up to your projection for the kid as a pro. We know Smitty is a student. We know he’s the first on the field and last to leave. We know he lives in the video room. The fact that he wanted his degree shows his personal values and further reinforces his willingness to adapt to the team as it changes coaches and playbooks etc...all of these things add up.

Agreed on that point. I should have stated it in my initial post but I’ve since said that each case is unique.

With Chase...I’ve never gotten the sense that it was genuine concern. I felt it was a calculated decision - a business decision. That’s my interpretation given the evidence. He’s never cited a particular family member or health concern...

Beyond just the sitting out...there is another aspect too. Does the player value his degree?

All of these tiny things add up to your projection for the kid as a pro. We know Smitty is a student. We know he’s the first on the field and last to leave type. We know he lives in the video room. The fact that he wanted his degree shows that this will translate on the field.
One more problem is the the NFL rule that only allows a player to declare for the draft after they've been on campus for three full years.

Players that just KILL it, and do this in their second year are not allowed to turn pro, and that's tough. These guys went to school to become NFL players and become set for life... and now are not allowed to get a job. In any other field, this would be called restraint-of-trade and it would be illegal.

Melvin Bratton will ALWAYS be the cautionary tale here. This guy was poised to go early in the first round, but completely tore his knee apart in his very last game... the National Championship game at the Orange Bowl. He never played productively again and lost out on a lifetime of income.

So a big part of me sees guys who can turn pro and refuse to... as stupid. Denial of the very real fact that it can happen to you is immaturity, and if you have a family that depends on you, depends on your future earnings to survive, to get out of poverty maybe... if you run back to college when you could have been supporting them??? That's completely selfish... and foolish to boot.

Had anyone any thoughts on Creed Humphrey at 18? I was expecting to get destroyed for suggesting that...LOL

I just really love the kid. He’s a nasty player on the field, a corn fed prototype center that doesn’t stop until the play is dead. He’s often seen taking on multiple players...his motor is relentless. His coaches gush over him. I recall his OL coach saying he will be a HOFer. I just get a really good sense about him when I see him talk. I love that he is a lefty...the only lefty center for the only lefty QB in the NFL.

Ideally we would trade back into the mid 20s from 18 to get him...but how would you feel if we took him at 18? I just can’t see him lasting to 36 and I want him bad. And for those of you that would be upset with the pick...would it make things better if we took Javonte Williams at 36? :)

Had anyone any thoughts on Creed Humphrey at 18? I was expecting to get destroyed for suggesting that...LOL

I just really love the kid. He’s a nasty player on the field, a corn fed prototype center that doesn’t stop until the play is dead. He’s often seen taking on multiple players...his motor is relentless. His coaches gush over him. I recall his OL coach saying he will be a HOFer. I just get a really good sense about him when I see him talk. I love that he is a lefty...the only lefty center for the only lefty QB in the NFL.

Ideally we would trade back into the mid 20s from 18 to get him...but how would you feel if we took him at 18? I just can’t see him lasting to 36 and I want him bad. And for those of you that would be upset with the pick...would it make things better if we took Javonte Williams at 36? :)
Love the player, but it's too early for a Center who isn't just flat amazing.

Very few Centers ever go in the first round and in general, this is because Centers make less money in Free Agency, and the FA cost per position is the best indicator of where a player should be drafted. You should stick to positions that are cap busting to obtain in FA in the first round.

If they sit out the season, they sit out the season.

Doesn't mean they lack character.

Plenty of players who played (this season) are more of a character concern than someone like "Ja'Marr Chase" and company.

Love the player, but it's too early for a Center who isn't just flat amazing.

Very few Centers ever go in the first round and in general, this is because Centers make less money in Free Agency, and the FA cost per position is the best indicator of where a player should be drafted. You should stick to positions that are cap busting to obtain in FA in the first round.

Both Pouncey brothers went in the 1st round..Picks #18 and #15, a year apart. At C. Just sayin'!

Back
Top Bottom