On Character | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Character

If he's self-centered and makes decisions based on what's most beneficial for him personally, then yes, that's a character flaw when applied to a team sport. Not agreeing that is the case with Chase at all, but these traits collectively, if present when applied to the game itself, would certainly merit discussion. The OP is not using the term "character" in the context you are interpreting it as. He is not insinuating that Chase's character is nefarious in any way. Today's common interpretation of character, when applied to an athlete, is being a "trouble maker". I don't believe that was his intent, Chase is not a "trouble maker" he may just make decisions that put himself before the team. The league is full of those types of players.
IF he murdered people then IF he robbed them, then yes, that would a problem.

Yeah.

No.

Well, time will tell. I agree with much of what the OP said but not sure about the players that opted out because there's just too many of them. If we go by who's always willing to play then Waddle comes into play as we all saw there was no way he should have played in that CG and yet there he was trying to be a part of it.
So maybe Waddle has character concerns...is he selfish? Does he crave the limelight? Was he resentful of DS's accolades?

IF he was, then yes, that would be a problem.

Character has ALWAYS been important... and smart coaches and smart GMs have always realized this.

That said... some of those who sat out, sat out BECAUSE of their high character. I've mentioned this several times, (but only because it keeps getting ignored) by FOUR PEOPLE IN KENNETH GAINWELL'S FAMILY DIED.

To automatically say that those who sat out don't love football is just... sloppy. Each player had a different set of circumstances that they dealt with... judge them by their circumstances.
Very true and good post

If they sit out the season, they sit out the season.

Doesn't mean they lack character.

Plenty of players who played (this season) are more of a character concern than someone like "Ja'Marr Chase" and company.
This is true.

However

Let's say the option of sitting out this season is offered again, no consequences due to the pandemic.

Are you drafting Chase or Smith Knowing one sat out and the other played through

No other choice one of those 2

IF he murdered people then IF he robbed them, then yes, that would a problem.

Yeah.

No.
Don't be naive, do you really think an NFL team that's about to invest millions of dollars in a player doesn't take into account their psychological makeup and scrutinize every aspect of their past? They hire PI firms to run background checks on these guys and Psychologists interview and analyze the compiled data and make recommendations based on their hypothesis. Parameters may vary from team to team on the value they put on certain traits but to think as long as you didn't kill or rob someone that they're not going to care is just silly. You may not care but it's not your money they're investing...

Don't be naive, do you really think an NFL team that's about to invest millions of dollars in a player doesn't take into account their psychological makeup and scrutinize every aspect of their past? They hire PI firms to run background checks on these guys and Psychologists interview and analyze the compiled data and make recommendations based on their hypothesis. Parameters may vary from team to team on the value they put on certain traits but to think as long as you didn't kill or rob someone that they're not going to care is just silly. You may not care but it's not your money they're investing...
It's still a swing and homerun or miss, sometimes character issues come with money or untapped mental illness. I agree that homework regarding that is done but if it was easy there would be no misses and there are def some each year. Works both ways, some creeps turn out ok other gems faulter.

It's still a swing and homerun or miss, sometimes character issues come with money or untapped mental illness. I agree that homework regarding that is done but if it was easy there would be no misses and there are def some each year. Works both ways, some creeps turn out ok other gems faulter.
It is not an exacting science and not foolproof. It's just a means to try and narrow down the list of more desirable players based on traits. If there are traits present that the team views as could potentially be an issue down the road, they will eliminate that player based on that those assumptions. My guess is they are probably wrong as many times as they are right. The Browns are a good example, they ignored Johnny Manziel's past in lieu of his athletic ability, inevitably he was gone from the NFL for the same thing that brought him scrutiny in college. In the end, after all the micromanaging, you are correct, it's still a crapshoot.

Not saying Covid was not a factor in skipping the season, but understanding that Chase was most likely going to experience a significant decline in numbers had he came back without Burrow, Jefferson, and Brady calling the plays most likely was a factor as well.

It was a smart business decision by Chase, just as it was for Smith to skip running the 40 and getting on the scale.

You think if he played this year he would have dropped?
I think he is legit, but it is possible.

Injuries are always a possibility.

And a significant decline in numbers might have dropped him behind Pitts, Smith, Sewell, Parsons, and ... ?

I will just say Chase had more to lose than to gain had he played last year.

The difference last year between pick #5 ($30.2 mil) and pick #10 ($19.7 mil) was $10 million+ over their first 4 years.

I think he is legit, but it is possible.

Injuries are always a possibility.

And a significant decline in numbers might have dropped him behind Pitts, Smith, Sewell, Parsons, and ... ?

I will just say Chase had more to lose than to gain had he played last year.

The difference last year between pick #5 ($30.2 mil) and pick #10 ($19.7 mil) was $10 million+ over the next 4 years.
Seems like an awful lot of speculation, my friend.

I say Chase is the better player, either way.

Back
Top Bottom