On Sunday, Jakeem Grant’'s 101-yard kickoff return broke the dolphins' franchise record for most special teams returns for a TD (VIDEO) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Sunday, Jakeem Grant’'s 101-yard kickoff return broke the dolphins' franchise record for most special teams returns for a TD (VIDEO)

The problem is his height, he has to be running away from a defender, with more than normal separation for the QB to be able to drop the pass over the defender, he's not going to win many contested catches as he's not really a great leaper. To send him over the middle (again due to size limitations), he'll get killed. He is fast but unfortunately, he is limited in how he can be used.

The problem is his height, he has to be running away from a defender, with more than normal separation for the QB to be able to drop the pass over the defender, he's not going to win many contested catches as he's not really a great leaper. To send him over the middle (again due to size limitations), he'll get killed. He is fast but unfortunately, he is limited in how he can be used.
Yes, small catch radius. Huge heart and an easy guy to root for. I love when they get him running to the edge like on that WC play. He scored like that last year in a shovel pass. So fast to the corner.

Yes, small catch radius. Huge heart and an easy guy to root for. I love when they get him running to the edge like on that WC play. He scored like that last year in a shovel pass. So fast to the corner.
I agree, I'm rooting for the guy. He is electric when he gets in the open field with the ball. I wish we could find more ways to get him more involved.

They need to get him more involved in the deep passing game.

More like they need to get him the ball near the LOS and let him do his thing.

He’s a liability running routes down the field, small target, suspect concentration.

He needs creative play calling.

And I’ve been one of his biggest supporters the last 4 years.

He is a good kid and at roughly $5 Mill/year he is right on the average salary for WRs. I think we will have a lot of fun with guys like Grant and Hurns (despite his goof ball plays last Sunday). Two receivers which cost us $5 Mill or less/year.

With kickoffs he can see the kick coverage team coming and has time and room to maneuver.

With punts there's the chance that he looks up to field the ball and the punt coverage team is right on him, wallops him, and breaks his adorable little baby body into a trillion itsy bitsy pieces.

According to the Dolphins official website:

With his touchdown against Buffalo, Grant became the fourth player in NFL history with two punt return touchdowns of at least 70 yards and two kickoff return TDs of least 100 yards in his first four seasons.

He had a few others that he took to the house that were called back due to holding.
Valid observation, but the holding may have been what allowed him to break it open, so does it really count?

Valid observation, but the holding may have been what allowed him to break it open, so does it really count?
No but it’s probably why it’s in our minds that he scored more. I wonder what % of all kick and punt returns have holding / block in back on them?

With kickoffs he can see the kick coverage team coming and has time and room to maneuver.

With punts there's the chance that he looks up to field the ball and the punt coverage team is right on him, wallops him, and breaks his adorable little baby body into a trillion itsy bitsy pieces.
His rookie year he muffed a lot of punts, then seemed to be cured of it in year 2. This year he’s muffed what feel like a ton. Shame they don’t trust him / can’t catch them reliably because he’s a much bigger threat than the guy they put back there now.

Back
Top Bottom