One Badass D Line | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One Badass D Line

I really do not understand. Did you not believe Grier when he said this would be painful and we are probably going to be worse before we get better? They said this in the PC. Did not listen to the part of the monologue?
They probably missed that part.

Good Dline draft and we have no talent on the Dline...........lets go oline heavy in the draft. That makes sense.

And that pushes the OL talent down. So when we trade down and pick up a 2020 first round pick the DL talent is gone and you’re looking at Eric McCoy as the first round pick in the mid 20’s.

I'm not going to blame anyone for being cynical after what we've endured over the past number of years. However, this new approach of not buying high priced FA's to supposedly turn the team around and maybe getting younger and drafting better, is at least worth a try. I'll save my cynicism until after we've had some time to see how this approach works (or not). I agree, it's hard to sit back and ignore all the hype the media is giving this FA market.

Will there be any Edge players worth taking?

1. Arizona Cardinals: Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
2. San Francisco 49ers: Nick Bosa, EDGE, Ohio State
3. New York Jets: Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
4. Oakland Raiders: Montez Sweat, DE, Miss St
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State
6. New York Giants: Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
8. Detroit Lions: D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
9. Buffalo Bills: Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama
10. Denver Broncos: Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
11. Cincinnati Bengals: Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan
12. Green Bay Packers: Clelin Ferrell, LB, LSU
13. Miami Dolphins:

Who ya taking?

For me it would be Jawaan Taylor or Ed Oliver

And that pushes the OL talent down. So when we trade down and pick up a 2020 first round pick the DL talent is gone and you’re looking at Eric McCoy as the first round pick in the mid 20’s.

Well after seeing sitton get cut. You might be right. Oline is definitely in play at 13. Rather go dline in the first then get oline in the second and third.

Taylor. Godchaux. And....

That’s it.

No Wake. Branch. Quinn is to be jettisoned. Harris? Hayes? Right...

In other words, we seem to be outta D ends.

Woodard. And Harris?

Is this not disconcerting?

Yes, I’m a little pissed that Wake is no longer a Dolphin. But it’s more than sentimentality. We have no D ends. Harris is a no show, Quinn was what we all saw. Branch and Wake are gone. Hayes is no Wake. So we have Harris, Woodard, and who else?

Is this no big deal, or am I missing something?

Or is 0-16 the goal?
Well we are switching from a wide 9 where you have guys that can really hit the gas and get around the edge, to a scheme that requires bigger De’s that just hold the edge and keep everything contained. It’s no big surprise that the guys from the old scheme don’t fit the new scheme. Only Hayes fits really imo, but he can’t play more than 5 games without going to IR so yeah, total rebuild of that position group. I imagine we’ll hit that position hard in the draft and FA after the compensatory picks are safe.

13. Miami Dolphins:

Who ya taking?

For me it would be Jawaan Taylor or Ed Oliver

Q Williams at 9? Come on man

I really do not understand. Did you not believe Grier when he said this would be painful and we are probably going to be worse before we get better? They said this in the PC. Did not listen to the part of the monologue?

“I would hope I don’t have to go 3-13, but whatever it’s going to take."

Everyone is prepared for the worst. We should be too.

Well yeah, we're in the deconstruction phase. I'm sure we'll add a couple of veteran FA's later in the process. But our intention is to eliminate the old and expensive DL that was not productive enough and didn't fit out system. We will replace them … but this is the first step, eliminating pieces that don't make sense. The front office has been clear and managed our expectations for next year … it's going to take more than one offseason to rebuild this, so yes, there are going to be some growing pains.

The defensive scheme we're going to run is extremely demanding. It generates wonderful versatility and while not really stifling, it is incredibly adaptable and can keep us in games against any offense once it is fully in place. It doesn't require the absolute most explosive guys, but it requires guys who have excellent versatility across a wide array of specific skills. So, we can probably get more in the draft because they aren't the same guys every other defense is looking to find. But, our current pieces, don't fit.

Patience, we made a decision and are following a plan that requires more than 1 year to rebuild. It's going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately.

I'd be happy with two wins. One each against the jest and pats. That'll promise us a hopefully good QB selection in 2020.

Definitely looking like DE at #13. I'd be stoked if we can land someone like Clelin Ferrell. I'd double up on another on day two or early day three.
most likely Ferrell will be there at 13. Landing somebody would be Gary from Michigan.

it has been painful for years now

The reality is that most drafts take one of most position groups and double up on one. I'm guessing we take 2 DL and 2 OL in the draft and are active with the late FA's and UDFA's to fill out the rotation. We need to rebuild both lines. We've said we're going to rebuild both lines. Every other team in the NFL knows we should be and probably will be drafting multiple picks for each line. It's all definitely doable.