One game at a time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One game at a time

Chambers34Phins

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think we can still make the playoffs I have faith. The bronco's slipped up and we are ahead now, but we have to take this one game at a time. Thursday is a very important game, against a good team. But I feel the team and fans are re-engergized with Fiedler back. Maybe he was the spark this offense needed. He plays well when he is not hurt, but his style of play gets him hurt. But the guy... has so much heart it is unreal, that's what I really like about him. He has so much heart, I still remember that Raiders game, where I thought it was over, we couldn't come back. He puts together a last ditch drive, stringing plays together, converting 4th downs. And then with time running out, drops back, can't find anyone open, jukes 1 or 2 was it? defenders, and then dives between to raiders for the game winning touchdown.

That game will never be on ESPN classic.... but it was one of my favorite's.

He made the cover of SI for that game. That's the game that people will always remember when talking about Fiedler like the Spike game about Marino.

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
I think we can still make the playoffs I have faith. The bronco's slipped up and we are ahead now, but we have to take this one game at a time. Thursday is a very important game, against a good team. But I feel the team and fans are re-engergized with Fiedler back. Maybe he was the spark this offense needed. He plays well when he is not hurt, but his style of play gets him hurt. But the guy... has so much heart it is unreal, that's what I really like about him. He has so much heart, I still remember that Raiders game, where I thought it was over, we couldn't come back. He puts together a last ditch drive, stringing plays together, converting 4th downs. And then with time running out, drops back, can't find anyone open, jukes 1 or 2 was it? defenders, and then dives between to raiders for the game winning touchdown.

That game will never be on ESPN classic.... but it was one of my favorite's.

I respectfully disagree. We did this one game at a time for years. All it does it gives you an excuse for a loss and you lose the focus of the big picture. Don't you remember...for years" "oh well we lost....lets focus on the next game".

To truly realize a playoff picture and scenarion you have to look ahead and see who and what is on your schedule and you have to keep an eye on other games.

The "take it one game at a time" is a good philosphy for the beginning of the year to get focused and collect wins...but if you enter the last 5 games you have to look ahead..not game prep but somewhat the focus has to go ahead.

If you go game by game now and you lose you will be content with the loss because it was just one game right? Then you go to the next step and say: well it wasn't even an AFC opponent
To go further and you argue: it wasn't even a division rival. Bam! You trapped yourself.

As a coach you can use mousetraps and other gimmicks early in the season because you want to keep the team focused. The motivitaion in our case should be: WTF, lets not play for a WC. Here is the friggin' schedule. NE @ Indy Sunday. They could lose. If we win in Dallas we play for the divison lead in 2 weeks with only 3 games to go.

That should be the motivating factor. This time of year going game-by-game is cowardness and a pre-fab excuse.

All your saying is look ahead and not game plan. That is the same thing as taking one game at a time. It's ok to look and see what's ahead. But you still are taking it one game at a time if you are not game planning for future opponents.

Not taking it one game at a time loses you football games. Overlooked the texans and we got bit.

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
All your saying is look ahead and not game plan. That is the same thing as taking one game at a time. It's ok to look and see what's ahead. But you still are taking it one game at a time if you are not game planning for future opponents.

Not taking it one game at a time loses you football games. Overlooked the texans and we got bit.

Oh sure...you game plan one game at a time. You can't game plan for NE if you face dallas.

BUT in the past not only the game plan was a game to game thing also the attitude was a game to game thing.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I want my players to take the schedule in their hands and say: "wow, look at that opportunity we have if we win in Dallas". It also has to come from the coaches as a motivating factor. Forget about bulletin board material or gimmicks like lobster traps, mouse traps and grandma.

Hang the dam schedule up and simply put in bold letters:
OUR CHANCE

and highlite the NE vs Indy game and ours against NE.

Our "december swoon" had never anything to do with talent. Our talkent was good enough to win early in the year it was good enough to win at the end. It is a matter of focus and intensity. Other teams become more focused and intense towards the end of the season. We always did the same "bla-bla".

After the game planning is done. After the team is prepared for Dallas you put out a speech and note that this game is more than just a game. It can set us up for the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom