One of my favorite all time Miami playoff games under Shula | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One of my favorite all time Miami playoff games under Shula

Watching even now is still a treat. No one processed the field and delivered the ball faster than him - no one in the history of the game.

Amen...as we watched him we knew we were looking at something special, but as time goes along, we are seeing more and more how special he was.

If he only had had a defense that would succeed in pressure time. What could have been.
20200507_162715.gif

Amen...as we watched him we knew we were looking at something special, but as time goes along, we are seeing more and more how special he was.

If he only had had a defense that would succeed in pressure time. What could have been.
View attachment 45278
My goodness that 4th down play and the TD a few plays later - still give me the chills. And that was post-Achilles.

Both those playoff wins in '90 and '94 over KC were great games. After Marino hit Clayton on that out pattern for the TD, DeBerg drove them to within field goal range, but Nick Lowery came up short. It was straight as an arrow too! Got this in the mail the next Fri....back when Sports Illustrated was worth a ****.

miami-dolphins-qb-dan-marino-1991-afc-wild-card-playoffs-january-14-1991-sports-illustrated-co...jpg

Both those playoff wins in '90 and '94 over KC were great games. After Marino hit Clayton on that out pattern for the TD, DeBerg drove them to within field goal range, but Lowery came up short. It was straight as an arrow too!
Got this in the mail the next Fri....back when Sports Illustrated was worth a ****.

View attachment 45295
Great memory and great post of the cover! I remember that DeBerg drive at the end. We got some help w a holding penalty that made it like a 50 yarder. I recall a few plays earlier, DeBerg threw one right over the middle and didn’t see Offerdahl you went up and got both hands on the ball for the INT - but dropped it. Then one of best kickers in NFL history trots out and the only thing we could hope for was that at his age his leg couldn’t reach and thank goodness for us it didn’t. Right down the pipes. Just not long enough.

Both those playoff wins in '90 and '94 over KC were great games. After Marino hit Clayton on that out pattern for the TD, DeBerg drove them to within field goal range, but Nick Lowery came up short. It was straight as an arrow too! Got this in the mail the next Fri....back when Sports Illustrated was worth a ****.

View attachment 45295
PS - is it just me or does anyone else miss / prefer this jersey / uniform look?

I still always wonder what could have been in 1993. We def make playoffs and afc title game at worst.

The comeback against chiefs in 1990 was so exciting after missing playoffs previous 4 years. Felt so good to be back in playoffs.

Was this the one where Clayton came alive late and nick lowery missed a late field goal? This was the more memorable chiefs playoff game to me even though it was just DeBerg. They were a hot team with Okoye and it looked like they were going to knock us off until Marino and Clayton woke up.

Was this the one where Clayton came alive late and nick lowery missed a late field goal? This was the more memorable chiefs playoff game to me even though it was just DeBerg. They were a hot team with Okoye and it looked like they were going to knock us off until Marino and Clayton woke up.
Yep exactly that game.

1993 could have been the year. We were 4-1 and had already beaten the Bills in Orchard. Marino was having the best year of his career from an efficiency standpoint w a QBR of 108 which was a bit unheard of - especially for a downfield passing attack. I believe we finish that season 13-3 or 12-4 AE worst and host the title game. Also, that Dallas team wasn’t as good as the year prior. Heck, we beat them w Steve DeBerg in the snow! I really think that was our best team of the 90’s. Shame.
I agree. What might have been . Ugh
Reading your post just confirms my thinking. That was our best chance. Damn.

Chiefs legendary CB Albert Lewis still can’t believe he didn’t take the GW TD to Clayton to the house - it defied physics really.
That throw was in perfect spot. If Lewis fingernail was longer he might have topped it. It was soo close.

then chiefs driving. David Zott got a holding penalty. Saved us. Lowery was straight but short. I was so happy.

One of my best friends is a chiefs fan...it remains his biggest heartbreak
Just tell him he witnessed the greatness of Dan Marino - twice in five years - he ought to savor it :). Hey, he got his Lombardi and his own epically talented QB now so there’s that :)

The 1994 Playoff game was one of my favorites of all-time as well. It wasn't posted anywhere until fairly recently (I had been checking for it fairly often and watched it as soon as I saw it was posted). We beat the Chiefs earlier that season (December) on MNF with Bono filling in for Montana (I had that game recorded on VHS). The wild card game was Montana's last. I remember the SI article about this game (I think Peter King wrote it) and said Montana was a champion and it took another champion to bring him down.

Of course, the game the following week is one of my least favorite games ever ( it was actually a decent game with a crummy outcome). The 1992 divisional win over San Diego is also posted on the same site (The quality isn't great). I watched it a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom