One of the better articles on what Miami is trying to do. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One of the better articles on what Miami is trying to do.

I disagree with his main point. I don't think the Dolphins are just stacking up draft picks. I firmly believe we're all out tanking as well. We don't intend to trade up to get a QB in 2020, we intend to have the pick to take whichever QB we want in 2020, and then use that war chest of draft picks to instantly build a good young team around him in 2020 and 2021. That talent infusion will jump start a very real rebuilding effort by 2021 and catapult us from bottom-dwellers into division contenders. While the Bills and Jets have their QB's of the future, we'll get one better than both of theirs and surround him with far more talent than either team can. With Brady late in his career and Belichick considering retirement, the newly rebuilt 2021 and 2022 Dolphins look to be the most talented roster in the AFC East. We may still be too young to wrestle the division crown from the Belichick/Brady partnership, but we'll definitely be the only team able to dethrone them if they do fall.

I get Flores isn't coaching to lose. I don't call it Tank for Tua, I call it Talentless for Tua.

The goal should be to get the #1 pick so they get their pick of QB (Tua) and still have all those other picks to build the team.

If Miami is in danger of winning a game moving them out of #1 pick that is when Flores should be putting in some backup players down the stretch. Don't ask the players to quit trying, just reduce the talent level on the field.

That is what NBA teams do and exactly what Flores should do if the situatuon arises.

If Miami doesn't end up with the #1pick based on their record then they didn't play this right.

I get Flores isn't coaching to lose. I don't call it Tank for Tua, I call it Talentless for Tua.

The goal should be to get the #1 pick so they get their pick of QB (Tua) and still have all those other picks to build the team.

If Miami is in danger of winning a game moving them out of #1 pick that is when Flores should be putting in some backup players down the stretch. Don't ask the players to quit trying, just reduce the talent level on the field.

That is what NBA teams do and exactly what Flores should do if the situatuon arises.

If Miami doesn't end up with the #1pick based on their record then they didn't play this right.
If you do that you run the risk of losing the locker room, which is at risk even now. That's why tanking is such a risky proposition, to say the least. And that's the difference in nuance between tanking and rebuilding. With tanking you're trying to lose, one way or another, and there's a good chance that will backfire big-time. Rebuilding means you make FO moves that put you in a tough spot to win (in exchange for future draft ammo), but then you absolutely try to win every game, developing a culture of winning and of excellence.

I've always called what we're doing rebuild because tanking is just insane. And at the very least it will get the HC fired, because no player will be willing to go to war for him. I can't believe our guys are that dumb, honestly, to bank the entire future of the franchise on drafting that one player who comes along every 5-10 years and may not even be drafted #1 overall in any case.

Back
Top Bottom