One position where Dolphins feel they’re good enough, and another that’s now a priority | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One position where Dolphins feel they’re good enough, and another that’s now a priority

I think its extremely important to realistically see Free Agency as kind of even earlier rounds of the Draft in which the additional opportunity to fill any or several significant needs with actual experienced and quality veterans and freeing up the need in the draft for possibly several areas. ( I'm sure you are aware). And thus WR can be in the picture earlier if the GUY is there who is hard to turn down.

Our solid restructuring and highly overdue sacrifices of this past season have provided us with a rare opportunity of cap space to give us more than normal advantages in which if used properly several areas of need filled even before the Draft. And that gives even more freedom to do almost whatever the Organization wants.

Important factor now as with the draft and FA is the competency of Grier, Flores, Allen, McKinzie and how well they work together... (that could make an interesting post if anyone knew enough to make a fair opinion )
Great post! Im also starting to think that "Building through FA is bad" might not be as straight foward as we might think. Teams have more information about what FAs look like in the pros, makes them less risky propositions.

A team could absolutely make it work by filling needs of the less valuable position groups(interior OL, interior DL, TE, RB) in FA and focus on high value positions(QB, WR, T, EDGE, CB) in the draft imo. Of course this would just be a baseline, always be open to exceptions when they just make too much sense.

Another fly in the ointment is X's position off the field incident.
Any one know any more about it since the initial reports came out?
Wondering if the Fins may be aware of a suspension coming his way by the NFL or his knee injuries could limit him in the long term.

no new news, but hard to imagine a scenario where he won’t get a suspension, as far as his knees -it will always be somewhat of a concern.

This defensive scheme likes DB's and Pass rushers, I look for them to go there early. The team needs OL, do we get that via FA? Probably some, same with the pass rush. I would look to the draft to fill high value candidates like QB, DB, Edge, maybe a DT if the right one is here, early in the draft. If the OL is not substantially addressed go there in round 2, it HAS to be fixed for this team to succeed. We also need a thumper at running back, and LB depth, to be addresses later on. IMHO

Hmmm well j-off won’t be happy to learn we are prioritizing adding a receiver. I get it. But still, would be nice to add a new young player with some speed to burn

CB we obviously need help at, can never have too many. I’m optimistic about Howard but who knows.. Needham came on towards the end of the year but like Albert said, eye opening number of TDs allowed.... then again same amount as Byron Jones and some people want to pay him a boatload to pair up with X

Great post! Im also starting to think that "Building through FA is bad" might not be as straight foward as we might think. Teams have more information about what FAs look like in the pros, makes them less risky propositions.

A team could absolutely make it work by filling needs of the less valuable position groups(interior OL, interior DL, TE, RB) in FA and focus on high value positions(QB, WR, T, EDGE, CB) in the draft imo. Of course this would just be a baseline, always be open to exceptions when they just make too much sense.

Two pools to acquire quality players and IMO used without so much less value judgement but rather needs of the team and how to fill as many as possible with the highest quality available in FA and Draft. If odds are lower to get a quality position filled in the draft (due to less players available or talent lacking or we just might not have a shot at) and there are the accepted quality in FA, well get the FA and you don't have to worry about hoping the guy you want is there in the draft. Can pick an other area that was previously off the table due to the once need.
Maybe keep a FA standard of, quality, health and possibly just as important age in the equation.

Oh not prioritizing WR's or anything. Just stating the options increase significantly which adds more freedom to our teams choices...

I would agree if the majority of the injuries were pulled muscles or that sort of conditioning injury. You can't blame torn ligaments and such on the trainers. It's a violent contact sport and injuries are going to happen. Yes, Devante has a history of "nagging" injuries but you have to wonder how much of that was due to his attitude towards the limited playing time and his personal relationship with the previous coaches. Like an injury out of spite if you get what I'm saying. He may have had similar injuries this year and played through them, we wouldn't know that. A player's attitude has a lot to do with it.
Yeah, I get what you're saying and agree with it. But, I don't think we can consider ourselves full up on any position (besides QB after drafting one at #5). Also, are we smart to just automatically that what we saw last year out of Parker is now the expectation? Had a great year but had 4 poor ones before that. Not down the guy but right now career wise he's still a C average at best. Hope he proves me wrong.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and agree with it. But, I don't think we can consider ourselves full up on any position (besides QB after drafting one at #5). Also, are we smart to just automatically that what we saw last year out of Parker is now the expectation? Had a great year but had 4 poor ones before that. Not down the guy but right now career wise he's still a C average at best. Hope he proves me wrong.
Have faith Brother, we saw the DVP we drafted last year. Unfortunately, it took 4 years to blossom for whatever the reason. He tore it up in college, so I expect him to build on what he did last year. The talent was never a question with him, it was desire. I think he just needed the right motivation which includes in large part the coaching. A "C" average cumulatively, career-wise at this point is fair. Had it not been for the past year I would have had him at a D- and pretty close to out the door. Kudo's to the coaching staff for seeing something in him and resurrecting his career. He ended the year with a ton of confidence especially after toasting Gilmore.
I agree you're never really filled up on any position, you do your due diligence and look to upgrade or deepen each position when the opportunity presents itself, the priority order just fluctuates as circumstances dictate. I don't think WR is high on that list with so many needs but if the right circumstance presents itself, you have to consider it.

Unless miami has a clause in x contract for a get out of jail free card I don’t see how they could eat that cap hit releasing him after year one.

nor should they but I don’t know the back story behind the arrest. I’d imagine he could get 4 games.

time to start watching cb tape folks. That secondary is getting a redo.

In the system that Flores runs on defense, DB's are a must and emphasized. So it really doesn't come as a surprise that CB is a potential priority for Miami. Add in the questions about a possible suspension for Howard, it makes even more sense. Miami could select several DB's before day 2 is over.

Well considering the absolute lake of talent at other positions, particularly the lines, WR group may looked ‘stacked’ lol

With so many deficiencies elsewhere on the roster I can’t see them selecting a WR early, but who knows.

surely there should be other players that grade out high when we select at positions almost devoid of talent on this team, at least I sure hope so.
I agree, here stacked is relative. I do agree other positions need an upgrade first. Say OL, DL, edge, CB, QB, RB.

Unless miami has a clause in x contract for a get out of jail free card I don’t see how they could eat that cap hit releasing him after year one.

nor should they but I don’t know the back story behind the arrest. I’d imagine he could get 4 games.

time to start watching cb tape folks. That secondary is getting a redo.

6 games for the first incident, lifetime ban after..

Need a legit starting corner opposite Howard. They have some nice young depth type corners but need someone who teams can't just pick on when Howard is playing well.
Unfortunately Howard is not a player you can count on because he consistently misses games due to injury during the season. He is certainly a top tier CB when he is healthy but between his injuries and the possibly he could miss playing time next season depending on how his domestic violence case turns out, I think the Dolphins need to be looking to add 2 starting caliber CB’s and not just one.

Keep in mind, the article states Miami thinks the current receivers are "good enough" - not that they see no need to upgrade. Personally, I think if Miami has a WR rated as early round two and he's available at 3 (example only), AND if a position of need guy is rated R4, they'll pill the trigger on the WR. All of this, of course, depends on FA and, again my opinion, a Wilson restructure,
It's just, I see a difference between "good enough" and 'no need to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom