One position where Dolphins feel they’re good enough, and another that’s now a priority | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One position where Dolphins feel they’re good enough, and another that’s now a priority

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
A quick six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Monday:

▪ If there’s one position on the roster where the Dolphins do not believe they need to make a significant addition this offseason, it’s receiver.

One NFL source who spoke to the team said Miami feels they’re good enough there with DeVante Parker, Preston Williams, Allen Hurns, Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson (there’s a good chance he will be asked to restructure his contract) and Isaiah Ford. That’s six.

▪ Cornerback has risen on the Dolphins’ priority list. It was reiterated to us in the past week that the Dolphins know they must address cornerback in free agency or the first two days of the draft.

Need a legit starting corner opposite Howard. They have some nice young depth type corners but need someone who teams can't just pick on when Howard is playing well.

That stat about needham giving up all those td’s was eye opening..

Putting aside the drafting for need/BPA or some hybrid argument for now, I don't think we are as stacked at WR as this article seems to indicate. Hurns and Grant were committed extensions, but both remain expendable. Preston Williams is coming off an inconsistent rookie year with some real highs and some real lows (he remains great value for an UDFA). Further, he suffered a major injury and that he isn't fully recovered from. Wilson is a prime cut candidate if a restructure doesn't work out. Isaiah Ford is a nice player, but just a depth player and not a guy you hand a second contract to. Finally, Parker finally broke free of the bust label, but we have far more bad tape on him than good. Hopefully he can keep playing at a high level, but there is some risk of regression there.

I'm not declaring 5th belongs to Jerry Jeudy by any means, but I don't think we can declare WR a day 3 area so quickly. Depending on who's available we should still consider drafting one early.

Putting aside the drafting for need/BPA or some hybrid argument for now, I don't think we are as stacked at WR as this article seems to indicate. Hurns and Grant were committed extensions, but both remain expendable. Preston Williams is coming off an inconsistent rookie year with some real highs and some real lows (he remains great value for an UDFA). Further, he suffered a major injury and that he isn't fully recovered from. Wilson is a prime cut candidate if a restructure doesn't work out. Isaiah Ford is a nice player, but just a depth player and not a guy you hand a second contract to. Finally, Parker finally broke free of the bust label, but we have far more bad tape on him than good. Hopefully he can keep playing at a high level, but there is some risk of regression there.

I'm not declaring 5th belongs to Jerry Jeudy by any means, but I don't think we can declare WR a day 3 area so quickly. Depending on who's available we should still consider drafting one early.

If Preston and Parker continue the big play ability they showcased, we are gravy at WR. Preston had a few rough drops and Parker hasn't been consistent in prior years but both of them looked like superstars going up for those deep balls.

We have so many needs on both sides of the line. QB would be nice. DB as mentioned. I wouldn't draft a RB early either but we could use one of those.

It makes sense that WR shouldn't be high or even mid when it comes to need.

I would not cal the WR's "stacked"......at first glance it might look that way and I like where we are but this is a great WR's class so it'd be smart to get one. Parker had a big year but he's been hurt so much in the past. Williams coming back from major surgery. Grant is a jag who I'd cut. Wilson started playing better towards the end. Ford and Hurns had their moments so we'll see.

As far as corner, yes we need to draft one but it doesn't have to be in the 1st round imo.

A quick six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Monday:

▪ If there’s one position on the roster where the Dolphins do not believe they need to make a significant addition this offseason, it’s receiver.

One NFL source who spoke to the team said Miami feels they’re good enough there with DeVante Parker, Preston Williams, Allen Hurns, Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson (there’s a good chance he will be asked to restructure his contract) and Isaiah Ford. That’s six.

▪ Cornerback has risen on the Dolphins’ priority list. It was reiterated to us in the past week that the Dolphins know they must address cornerback in free agency or the first two days of the draft.

Can you ever be too set at WR? Parker was essentially the last man standing which is scary as he has a horrific history of recovering from even slight injuries. This team blows goats at keeping players healthy.

Can you ever be too set at WR? Parker was essentially the last man standing which is scary as he has a horrific history of recovering from even slight injuries. This team blows goats at keeping players healthy.
I would agree if the majority of the injuries were pulled muscles or that sort of conditioning injury. You can't blame torn ligaments and such on the trainers. It's a violent contact sport and injuries are going to happen. Yes, Devante has a history of "nagging" injuries but you have to wonder how much of that was due to his attitude towards the limited playing time and his personal relationship with the previous coaches. Like an injury out of spite if you get what I'm saying. He may have had similar injuries this year and played through them, we wouldn't know that. A player's attitude has a lot to do with it.

Well considering the absolute lake of talent at other positions, particularly the lines, WR group may looked ‘stacked’ lol

With so many deficiencies elsewhere on the roster I can’t see them selecting a WR early, but who knows.

surely there should be other players that grade out high when we select at positions almost devoid of talent on this team, at least I sure hope so.

Given the utter lack of talent everywhere else on our roster I would agree that our WR core is “good enough”. To me that does not mean we believe we are “stacked” at WR; it simply means it is the least pressing position to upgrade. My only concern with our WR core is the relatively extensive injury history of Parker, Williams, Wilson and Grant. I’d prefer to just cut Wilson and replace him with a legit slot WR or deep threat day 2 or early day 3.

Well considering the absolute lake of talent at other positions, particularly the lines, WR group may looked ‘stacked’ lol

With so many deficiencies elsewhere on the roster I can’t see them selecting a WR early, but who knows.

surely there should be other players that grade out high when we select at positions almost devoid of talent on this team, at least I sure hope so.

I think its extremely important to realistically see Free Agency as kind of even earlier rounds of the Draft in which the additional opportunity to fill any or several significant needs with actual experienced and quality veterans and freeing up the need in the draft for possibly several areas. ( I'm sure you are aware). And thus WR can be in the picture earlier if the GUY is there who is hard to turn down.

Our solid restructuring and highly overdue sacrifices of this past season have provided us with a rare opportunity of cap space to give us more than normal advantages in which if used properly several areas of need filled even before the Draft. And that gives even more freedom to do almost whatever the Organization wants.

Important factor now as with the draft and FA is the competency of Grier, Flores, Allen, McKinzie and how well they work together... (that could make an interesting post if anyone knew enough to make a fair opinion )

Grant, Wilson, Parker, now Williams, if not mistaken seem to be injured a lot. This must also be considered in the FA or Draft need dept..

Another fly in the ointment is X's position off the field incident.
Any one know any more about it since the initial reports came out?
Wondering if the Fins may be aware of a suspension coming his way by the NFL or his knee injuries could limit him in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom