One position where Dolphins feel they’re good enough, and another that’s now a priority | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One position where Dolphins feel they’re good enough, and another that’s now a priority

The real question is do they worry enough about his charges to move cb even further up the priority list?

1-2 round pick on arnette is too rich for me

he’s a scheme fit but not touching it too early

I think you have something in Wiltz, needham and tae Hayes looked solid too.
id be interested in McCain back in slot too but something tells me that if this staff believed in him playing consistently iso then you would have seen it last year at some point.

Definitely a neee for another alpha though.

Im not saying no to Winfield in the second round. If he’s there dial it up

Putting aside the drafting for need/BPA or some hybrid argument for now, I don't think we are as stacked at WR as this article seems to indicate. Hurns and Grant were committed extensions, but both remain expendable. Preston Williams is coming off an inconsistent rookie year with some real highs and some real lows (he remains great value for an UDFA). Further, he suffered a major injury and that he isn't fully recovered from. Wilson is a prime cut candidate if a restructure doesn't work out. Isaiah Ford is a nice player, but just a depth player and not a guy you hand a second contract to. Finally, Parker finally broke free of the bust label, but we have far more bad tape on him than good. Hopefully he can keep playing at a high level, but there is some risk of regression there.

I'm not declaring 5th belongs to Jerry Jeudy by any means, but I don't think we can declare WR a day 3 area so quickly. Depending on who's available we should still consider drafting one early.

Disagree, Hurns and Grant are just 2nd tier receivers that can have imppacts on games.

There is little inconsistency about Preston Williams, he was a FA rookie tgat was feeling out the NFL, and getting used the big leagues (Would not doubt if he was also extremely nervous early), but once he started getting comfortable, he started looking like a man among boys trying to cover him, and though he does need to come back from Injury, you have to expect him to at least be close to the player he was...If he is even 70% of the pkayer he was, he is a great compliment and #2 to Parker, yet if he makes a full recovery, and is the player we saw before he got hurt...There will be serious and legit arguments here on who is the #1 receiver between Williams and Parker.

I do agree that Wilson needs to re-do his contract, or he us out, but if he does, he is yet another weapon at receiver that defences need to worry about. Finally Ford has proven to have made huge strides to become a very consistent 3rd or 4th receiver if need be.

Miami is stacked at receiver, and though if the situation presents itself like what happened with Preston Williams to get a quality receiver beyond the 4th round, there is no need to get one early.

I also am starting to think the team is counting on missing X in some regard... short term or long term idk but I don’t think his situation looks very good.

and it’s a damn shame. We finally get a nice shiny toy and once we pay him here comes the inevitable it seems. He always seemed like a class act and having a homegrown top 5 corner just seemed too good to be true.

maybe he’s completely innocent and this is just white noise that won’t be an issue again. I’ve just got a bad feeling about X and his dolphins future...

Keep in mind, the article states Miami thinks the current receivers are "good enough" - not that they see no need to upgrade. Personally, I think if Miami has a WR rated as early round two and he's available at 3 (example only), AND if a position of need guy is rated R4, they'll pill the trigger on the WR. All of this, of course, depends on FA and, again my opinion, a Wilson restructure,
It's just, I see a difference between "good enough" and 'no need to upgrade.
Yes fair point on good enough and no need to upgrade.
Another view of this is that we will be big players with large draft capital over the next 2 drafts and may be longer if they look to gain extra picks for 2022, throw in over the last season the improvement of Parker, Williams and Ford stepping up, Grant/Wilson/Hurns/Jennings all showing some thing. Next season may be a proving ground for the WR core to see who really does shine and then upgrade any holes in the 2021 draft.

I was leaning to trading down with our #5 pick.

The more stuff I read about problems with injuries & off field problems concerning some of our better players, the more important I feel it is to trade down and get more picks. By having 3 first round picks, we should still be getting some good to very good players, even if we trade away one of those picks. I don't really care which one. That's the Front Offices' headache.

We don't need a few real good players. What we do need is a lot of good, solid players and we need them RIGHT AWAY.

The more consistency we can get across the board with our players, the better our chances are for being a consistently competitive team.

Free agency is a higher cost, lower risk way to add good players to the team. Since so much of the draft is a crap shoot, lets just get as many draft picks over the first 4 rounds as possible to help assure we get a significant number of keepers.

We should use free agency to get even more players and add some experience at the same time to help limit the number of holes on this sinking ship!

We are in a position to make a new and serious contender of a team with our current draft allotment and cap space. Lets quit fine tuning this TURD and start building a truly respectable team for now and the future.

I would not cal the WR's "stacked"......at first glance it might look that way and I like where we are but this is a great WR's class so it'd be smart to get one. Parker had a big year but he's been hurt so much in the past. Williams coming back from major surgery. Grant is a jag who I'd cut. Wilson started playing better towards the end. Ford and Hurns had their moments so we'll see.

As far as corner, yes we need to draft one but it doesn't have to be in the 1st round imo.
I think Grants ST abilities keep him on the team and make him more than a JAG. As a WR meh. As a big play guy that can on a jet sweep or KR, he’s in elite company.

I was leaning to trading down with our #5 pick.

The more stuff I read about problems with injuries & off field problems concerning some of our better players, the more important I feel it is to trade down and get more picks. By having 3 first round picks, we should still be getting some good to very good players, even if we trade away one of those picks. I don't really care which one. That's the Front Offices' headache.

We don't need a few real good players. What we do need is a lot of good, solid players and we need them RIGHT AWAY.

The more consistency we can get across the board with our players, the better our chances are for being a consistently competitive team.

Free agency is a higher cost, lower risk way to add good players to the team. Since so much of the draft is a crap shoot, lets just get as many draft picks over the first 4 rounds as possible to help assure we get a significant number of keepers.

We should use free agency to get even more players and add some experience at the same time to help limit the number of holes on this sinking ship!

We are in a position to make a new and serious contender of a team with our current draft allotment and cap space. Lets quit fine tuning this TURD and start building a truly respectable team for now and the future.
I hear you and the trade down POV. My concern with it is you often wind up w a lot of JAGs instead of a couple of studs you can build around with other JAGs.

A quick six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Monday:

▪ If there’s one position on the roster where the Dolphins do not believe they need to make a significant addition this offseason, it’s receiver.

One NFL source who spoke to the team said Miami feels they’re good enough there with DeVante Parker, Preston Williams, Allen Hurns, Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson (there’s a good chance he will be asked to restructure his contract) and Isaiah Ford. That’s six.

▪ Cornerback has risen on the Dolphins’ priority list. It was reiterated to us in the past week that the Dolphins know they must address cornerback in free agency or the first two days of the draft.

I would take all reports from now on as smokescreens. The information and disinformation will be co-mingled and omnipresent ... that way if there are leaks--and there always are--it will be tough to tell whether they are intentional or unintentional, and figure out whether they're real or fake.

Welcome to the Stove Pipe Season .... we serve up rumors hot and on demand!

As for WR's, this is a very good draft for WR's with lots of elite WR's at the top and great depth throughout the middle and lower rounds. A guy like Tee Higgins isn't even getting hype because there are the Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb types ahead of him. A tremendous playmaker like Laviska Shenault isn't getting hype because a better version of Desean Jackson exists in Henry Ruggs. The list goes on, and those WR's will likley all slide down the draft because there are so many good ones. So when the Dolphins say they don't need a WR, they cannot be trusted. Parker and Wilson have histories of injuries. Grant hasn't proven he has the hands and route running a young QB needs. Neither Grant nor Wilson has a good catch radius. Young QB's want bigger targets because they are more forgiving. Fitzmagic also prefers the larger WR's like Parker, Williams and Gesicki (TE, but you get my drift). Don't be surprised if the Dolphins draft a WR high, but if they do, he has good size.

It's no mystery that the Dolphins need a CB or three. Hell, there are 31 other teams in the NFL that need CB's as well. No matter how many CB's a coach has ... he thinks he needs more ... and he's usually right. We need a starter opposite Xavien Howard. We may have issues with Xavien Howard after his off-season activities. Yes, we need CB's ... and that's not even worth pretending about, and it is not unusual. I really like Bryce Hall from Virginia. The UVa star is everything you want, athletic, long, can press well, team player, good citizen, sharp, never gives up. He is fast, but he isn't Dieon Sanders fast ... and none of these press-man CB's are. Hall is recovering from injury, but he's not injury prone, and we have time to let him heal, so I can see us grabbing him at the end of the 1st or sometime in the 2nd. If we're trading around in the end of the first and early second, and we aren't targeting a QB like Jacob Eason, then don't be surprised if we're maneuvering to get Bryce Hall. IMHO, he would be an excellent draft choice.

Let's face it, we have almost twice as many draft picks as the rest of the teams, so we're able to target every position, AND still catch the falling stars like we did with Tunsil. The season may have sucked, but this draft period is gonna be FUN!

I wouldn’t say we’re stacked at WR but I also wouldn’t say it should be a huge priority for 2020. If we’re building inside out we need a ton of resources for the inside part. 4 possibly 5 starting offensive lineman plus depth so one injury doesn’t derail the unit ( like in years past) and we have zero pass rushers. Again I wouldn’t say we’re stacked at WR and yes some of the guys are injury prone but I feel a lot better about rolling that group out there in 2020 than I do with our offensive line, pass rushing group, RB’s and DB’s.

You know what always drives me crazy about this organization? They never seem to take advantage of a particular strength of any given draft. This year's WR crop is supposedly stacked and Miami will most likely sit on the sidelines when it comes to WR. They did the same thing a few year's ago when the draft was a loaded at tight end and they passed on tight end that year. They never seem poised to strike when opportunity is staring them right in the face. It feels like they do just the opposite. They "swim" against the current and try to pluck players out of the weakest positions in any given draft.

Back
Top Bottom