One year contracts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One year contracts

Gamble

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain all of the one year contracts the Dolphins are signing? I expect that there is some advantage to them, but it seems that a player that is a solid addition is any good after one season we would lose him or pay alarge salary increase for next season. Also it doesn't seem logical to build a team with one year players.

The way i look at it is these guys on the one year deals are just there as back ups. You wouldnt offer Mike Vick a one year deal because you want to have him for the long run. However these players that we are getting in arent that great, so there just there as cover till next year when we will have a few more one year players.

Thats my take on ti anyway....

Nope its not that they are just fillers... its mainly to pevent mistakes with long contracts and then the player isnt good for the team. So we can prevent Cap Penalties and we still are able to sign them during the Season or after for longer term contracts if they do good.

I think it is Saban at his best. He brings in good fillers for one season, sees what they can do and makes wise investments next year. A wonderful biproduct of his approach is the possibility of all these fillers signing with other teams and Saban picking up some compensatory picks next year to fortify our draft numbers.

BLUEPHIN said:
I think it is Saban at his best. He brings in good fillers for one season, sees what they can do and makes wise investments next year. A wonderful biproduct of his approach is the possibility of all these fillers signing with other teams and Saban picking up some compensatory picks next year to fortify our draft numbers.

:yeahthat:

BLUEPHIN said:

This how you rebuild a team without sinking the ship. You have to balance getting your guys here and still keep a competetive product on the field.

BLUEPHIN said:

I think it might be a combo of a few things. The above quote being one and the fact of no cap hit being another. If we have to cut one of these guys during the season it wont kill us next year. He is essentially cleaning up Rick and Daves mess with the cap.

Yeah Saban signs these 1 yr contracts. he see's how well these players play, if they dont do well we dont resign if they do, we resign to a longer deal, preventing all cap penalties as many have all ready said...

i wouldnt want to be stuck with guys like mario edwards and vonnie holliday on expensive multiyear deals.

I'm a bit disappointed that Stockar wasnt signed longer, but he is a good player, and it probably wasn't financially pheasible.

Actually guys from the way I understand it, if there is no signing bonus and we release the player before their post season roster bonus (or we don't include a roster bonus in the contract) then there is no cap hit when they are released. You only take a cap hit when you pro-rate bonuses over the term of the contract and then premaurely end the contract.

Having said that, most players, if they outplay their contract, will hold out for a new contract and won't honor their current one (Antonio Gates, Keenan McCardell) so if any of these guys play really well then we would probably have needed to restructure again next year. However, in that case I think we have more leverage. So again, I don't see the benefit of a one year contract assuming you don't give bonuses. Maybe alot of players won't sign longer term deals without a bonus.

M3590NJ973 said:
why would mcdougle only be signed to a one year deal?
$$$ - i hope he performs well and decides to stay in south florida.

Signing bonus is suppose to balance out the money for the term of a contract. The larger the bonus the more years needed to make it cap reasonable. The smaller the bonus the less years needed in the contract.

The one year contract keeps signing bonuses and signing mistakes to a minimum and does not carry even a small mistake into next year. This is why I have said that this leads me to suspect that Team Salary for next year is being setup for a Franchise tag if needed. It also gives the Dolphins more negotiating leverage this year if other teams know they can tag a player next year if needed. Of course this is basically for Surtain.

It is still very early but next year we should hear how much cap room we have to do what we want. Not to mention that the one-year contracts are for players that are nothing to write home about.

It's also possible that franchise tag could be McMicheal. I'm not exactly sure how next year's TE class is looking or which players are FAs.

Back
Top Bottom