only take Peyton if he agrees to heavy incentive laden contract based on perfromance | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

only take Peyton if he agrees to heavy incentive laden contract based on perfromance

snake eyes

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think personally if we take him it will ruin this franchise forever. The better play is for Flynn or to trade up in the draft if possible. With that said. If Ross just throws a ton of money at manning without protecting himself then he will deserve the demise he will reap. If however manning gets paid if he A. remains healthy B. plays at his past potential and C. Makes the post season than he gets his money. Still a big mistake if you ask me. It will kill the team. And before you all start to bash me with your comments THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

I think personally if we take him it will ruin this franchise forever. The better play is for Flynn or to trade up in the draft if possible. With that said. If Ross just throws a ton of money at manning without protecting himself then he will deserve the demise he will reap. If however manning gets paid if he A. remains healthy B. plays at his past potential and C. Makes the post season than he gets his money. Still a big mistake if you ask me. It will kill the team. And before you all start to bash me with your comments THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!
matt flynn is never a better play than peyton manning, even if manning was only 80 percent.

also, im not really worried about money with manning. his contract will pay for itself in the ticket sales he would bring, merchandise sales, etc. he will take care of that.

also, he has said he is willing to make it an incentive based contract. if he was a selfish guy, he would have not given the colts that option to release him and be relieved from all that money they would owe him.

he has made plenty of money from playing and commercials, he wants to win mainly. obviously everyone likes money and all, but he would prob turn down a 3 year 75 million dollar deal from the skins to play for a team like san fran for example if they offered him 2 years 25 million. he seems like that type of guy,but who knows.

We have paid players who are a lot less deserving than Manning.

So it's okay with you to throw a ton of money at Flynn?

I'm onboard with you bro. Proponents of signing Manning aren't fully thinking this thing through. There are many factors in play here.

1. Health - No one knows (not even the doctors) how He will respond to getting hit. And we won't know that until he gets hit which one happen until real games start. which may be too late.

2. Pedigree - Manning is a future HOFer, Philbin is a rookie head coach, I can see some conflict there when things get a bit rough. Manning will say let's do it this way, I've been succsessful doing it this way. And philbin will say no we're doing it my way. Possible conflict

3. Different System - Manning has been in the Indy system for his entire career, now we're going to ask him to come in and learn a completely new system to the point where he's comfortable enough with it to tell others what to do with authority. People like Brandon Marshall. I know he's a very cerebral QB but we don't know how long it will take him to get there.

4. Age, he'll be 36! Can we really expect him to come here and win a SB in one - 2 years when he has 1 SB win in 16 years in indy? Not realistic.

5. We would not resolve our QB situation by signing him, as he's only a stopgap. I'm tired of stop gaps, I want a Franchise Guy. We'd still need to fine a young guy to be the franchise which we haven't been able to do since Marino.

Flynn on the other hand makes more sense

1. Played well in limited starts and threw for 400 yards and 6TD's in a meaningful game against a pretty good team in Detroit. I dont' care what the situation is, that's hard to do. How many time have any of our backups thrown for anything close to that.

2. System familiarity - He will be able to come in and lead with authority right off the plane as he's been in the system for what 2 years? He'll be like having another coach on the field, and can tell other players where to go and what to do.

3. He's only 20 something, meaning if he pans out he's our franchise guy.

4. He had to play pretty well in practice and games for him to outseat their #2 pick Brian Brhom as a 7th roung pick. 7th round picks don't get the most opportunities.

Obviously what people are overlooking here is the weakness his arm still has from the nerve damage that incurred prior to his surgery. Realize that the reason he has had three surgeries in the past 10 months on his neck is because his arm has not responded to the surgery. The latest surgery was a single level fusion, likely between C7 and T1 considering the nerve root that is likely effected to cause the significant triceps weakness he currently has. It is very likely that he will never regain enough strength in his arm to throw the ball into tight windows. This is the aspect that is going to keep him from being the elite Peyton Manning, and if he plays, he will be reminiscent of Dan Marino in late 1999.

Secondly, I don't get the feeling that people understand the fact that the mechanics of his neck have now changed. There is no longer any flexibility between C7 and T1. What this effectively does is increase the stresses that are on the vertebrae a level above and a level below the area that has been fused. It is only a matter of time before he has the same problem at those levels.

At best, I think you will get a big name player who is a shell of his former self for 2-3 years tops.

Thought about it...

Give me Peyton please...

Yup, that's the way to get a QB ... low-ball them with incentive-laden contracts. Works every time.

P.S. The franchise has already been "ruined forever", at least the last 15 years since Marino & Shula left. If we're going to "ruin it forever" AGAIN ... let it be taking shots at QBs!!

These "Manning vs Flynn" threads are depressing... just give me RGIII.

I'm onboard with you bro. Proponents of signing Manning aren't fully thinking this thing through. There are many factors in play here.

1. Health - No one knows (not even the doctors) how He will respond to getting hit. And we won't know that until he gets hit which one happen until real games start. which may be too late.

2. Pedigree - Manning is a future HOFer, Philbin is a rookie head coach, I can see some conflict there when things get a bit rough. Manning will say let's do it this way, I've been succsessful doing it this way. And philbin will say no we're doing it my way. Possible conflict

3. Different System - Manning has been in the Indy system for his entire career, now we're going to ask him to come in and learn a completely new system to the point where he's comfortable enough with it to tell others what to do with authority. People like Brandon Marshall. I know he's a very cerebral QB but we don't know how long it will take him to get there.

4. Age, he'll be 36! Can we really expect him to come here and win a SB in one - 2 years when he has 1 SB win in 16 years in indy? Not realistic.

5. We would not resolve our QB situation by signing him, as he's only a stopgap. I'm tired of stop gaps, I want a Franchise Guy. We'd still need to fine a young guy to be the franchise which we haven't been able to do since Marino.

Flynn on the other hand makes more sense

1. Played well in limited starts and threw for 400 yards and 6TD's in a meaningful game against a pretty good team in Detroit. I dont' care what the situation is, that's hard to do. How many time have any of our backups thrown for anything close to that.

2. System familiarity - He will be able to come in and lead with authority right off the plane as he's been in the system for what 2 years? He'll be like having another coach on the field, and can tell other players where to go and what to do.

3. He's only 20 something, meaning if he pans out he's our franchise guy.

4. He had to play pretty well in practice and games for him to outseat their #2 pick Brian Brhom as a 7th roung pick. 7th round picks don't get the most opportunities.

Conflict? New system? Stop gap? You're reaching. There's a lot more benefits and a lot less cons if you bring in a healthy Manning than Flynn.

Conflict? New system? Stop gap? You're reaching. There's a lot more benefits and a lot less cons if you bring in a healthy Manning than Flynn.

But you're assuming a healthy Manning, and that's the entire issue.

If, when he has his workout and physical for us, he can make every throw, with the same same speed, strength and accuracy as old elite Peyton, and can do it over a long session with his last throws being just as strong and accurate, then throw everything you have at him and get him.

But if he can't do every bit of that? Then you're setting us up for disappointment and wasting our young strong core of players' best years. In that case, hopefully Philbin thinks Flynn is the real deal and we snatch him up.

But you're assuming a healthy Manning, and that's the entire issue.

If, when he has his workout and physical for us, he can make every throw, with the same same speed, strength and accuracy as old elite Peyton, and can do it over a long session with his last throws being just as strong and accurate, then throw everything you have at him and get him.

But if he can't do every bit of that? Then you're setting us up for disappointment and wasting our young strong core of players' best years. In that case, hopefully Philbin thinks Flynn is the real deal and we snatch him up.
'

If he can't do that, then he's not healthy.

Back
Top Bottom