Opinion on the Colts game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Opinion on the Colts game

JakeMcAwful

Irish Dolphan
Reaction score
My mouth is pretty bitter right now. This is definitely a loss that could come back to haunt us later in the season when tiebreakers come into play but as for right now, I'm weirdly excited.

These two rookie quarterbacks played their asses off today (obviously Luck had the superior performance) and it was pretty cool to see them square off for the first time. Honestly, I think this is going to be an interconference rivalry similar to that of Brady and Manning. So there's that. But there's a few points I want to rattle through.

1) Odrick has no business playing at DE. He needs to be shifted inside to DT where he can stick with what he's great at - stopping the run. He's wasting a position that's needed to create consistent pressure on the QB. A huge part of Luck's success on 3rd down was the lack of pressure he faced. I'm hoping for a pass-rusher to be drafted early next year.

2) Our special teams were fantastic again today. I know that ridiculous holding call on Marlon Moore at the end just pisses everyone off to no end, but the unit played very well overall. Another blocked FG for Vernon, I'm liking how he's finding a way to make plays outside of defense.

3) The Sean Smith hate might be temporarily deserved but from what we've seen of him this season, this game is more of an anomaly. The two lapses in concentration led to two missed picks, and that really really stings considering how important they would've been, but I still trust him as our #1 corner for now. Jimmy Wilson got shredded today though, we always knew he was going to be outclassed in this match. Luck just had his way with our entire secondary, to be honest. Carroll probably had to best performance, but that's not saying much.

4) Glad to see Clay FINALLY make a play, but the tight ends in general weren't helpful enough to Tannehill. Need more consistency there.

5) If Jake Long continues the way he's playing, I don't see how we keep him on next year. He's a great LT but not for this scheme, he can find a team that'll pay him and play him in a power scheme elsewhere. Otherwise, he's not working out too well for us right now (he did have a nice block on the Bush TD run though).

6) Tannehill. I know people want to bash him for his mediocre 4th quarter performance, but I'm more or less fully sold on him. He played great today, making some seriously tough throws and picking up on mismatches that the Colts gave us. Luck is the better QB right now, but these two are going to be the cream of the 2012 draft class crop, I'm tellin' you.

Now, we can still control our own destiny in regards to the playoffs, especially with the Titans next. Very winnable game there. Let's hope for Steelers and Raiders losses tonight!

Back
Top Bottom